Valve bans Euro Truck Simulator dev for demonstrating a security vulnerability in steam

CarnivalOfFear

Quote from the dev:

"Edit: [i got banned for this for a year](https://twitter.com/tomasduda/status/478301124257411072). Also lost access to the Steamworks Partner site too, so can't do anything dev related. Praise Gaben.

Harlem Shake is over, one of the Valve guys is fixing it at the moment.

Short version of what happened: <script> tags were allowed in community announcements. We were talking about weird Steam's HTML parsers in the #steamdb channel, and then Harlem Shake happened. Blame xPaw, Marlamin and Gran PC, of course."

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/288azx/what_the_fuck_steam/ci8ebud

Is this the reason ETS2 is on sale on Origin but not Steam? :D

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Valve bans dev, says the dev. I don't know what happened at all, but one thing I do know as a good widdle skeptic is to wait for the other side on every issue.

Yhea , valve isn't good with bans. I got matchmake banned 7days on csgo because i " abandoned " a game because a vpk file wouldn't validate . So i quickly verified game files but it was too late...

Valve needs to get there shit together on more than one front ASAP. Loosing patience gaben, your dictatorship and power craze is getting out of hand.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

This is what happened if I understand correctly:

1) Steam allows scripts in the community announcement pages. This is a huge security risk since someone that can make community announcements (nefarious developer, hijacked account, developer that has been approved for greenlight etc) could inject malicious scripts into the page.

2) A Euro Truck Simulator developer reported this to Valve several months ago and the reply get to were along the lines of "We trust that developers won't put any malicious scripts in there".

3) Someone from Euro Truck Simulator added some harlem shake script to their announcement that ETS2 was on sale.

4) Valve bans their account.

1) Steam allows scripts in the community announcement pages. This is a huge security risk since someone that can make community announcements (nefarious developer, hijacked account, developer that has been approved for greenlight etc) could inject malicious scripts into the page.

2) A Euro Truck Simulator developer reported this to Valve several months ago and the reply get to were along the lines of "We trust that developers won't put any malicious scripts in there".

3) Someone from Euro Truck Simulator added some harlem shake script to their announcement that ETS2 was on sale.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

I could maybe understand the ban(maybe not something as harsh as a year-long ban) if the dev resorted to adding the harlem shake script right off the bat, but if Valve really intended to do nothing after several months, I'm pretty disappointed in them. C'mon, Valve! Did you move all your smart people from Steam to working on new hardware projects? D:

Still, this is just one side of the story, and I'd like to see what Valve's response is (hopefully they give one).

Hmm, what useful features would be removed if they disallowed the use of these scripts? Are they normally used for anything useful on a regular basis?

Oh come on, the first rule of internet security is that you don't allow the < script>  tag to be parsed. The possible positive benefits of it are vastly outweighed by the negatives of allowing anybody to run any code, especially in an application that can initiate money transfers. Somebody could, in theory, write a script on their page that bought the product without the user having any input when they visited the game's page in Steam.

I mean, we had that self-retweeting tweet in Tweetdeck last week that was because of the script tag not being filtered out. A self-replicating tweet in 138 characters.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

To everyone waiting for Valve’s response, don’t hold your breath there probably wont be one. Valve knew about the exploit and claimed it was intentional. (which is complete bs btw).

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Oh come on, the first rule of internet security is that you don't allow the < script>  tag to be parsed. The possible positive benefits of it are vastly outweighed by the negatives of allowing anybody to run any code, especially in an application that can initiate money transfers. Somebody could, in theory, write a script on their page that bought the product without the user having any input when they visited the game's page in Steam.

I mean, we had that self-retweeting tweet in Tweetdeck last week that was because of the script tag not being filtered out. A self-replicating tweet in 138 characters.

Are we really talking XSS vunarability ? If yes, that's terrible. Can't believe my lord would allow such a noob mistake. 

I'm dissagabened.

I think I found my new favorite word. I'm curious about its definition.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I would have banned him for life for Harlem Shake.

But other than that I still find it ridiculous to draw extra attention to a possible security vulnerability. Nothing is 100% secure. Trying to patch up every single flaw would leave you with a crippled experience.

By drawing attention to this "flaw" this developer just invited other people to use it for no reason whereas before most people did not know it existed or cared that it existed. It isn't a security flaw if there is no one using it.

Valve was right to say they trust developers to not fuck up because if they do, this happens to them.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Harlem Shake is old and anyone who still references it should feel bad.

Valve, there's a reason why Steam is becoming worse and worse. Maybe listen to people and you'll have a decent service.

But other than that I still find it ridiculous to draw extra attention to a possible security vulnerability. Nothing is 100% secure. Trying to patch up every single flaw would leave you with a crippled experience.

By drawing attention to this "flaw" this developer just invited other people to use it for no reason whereas before most people did not know it existed or cared that it existed. It isn't a security flaw if there is no one using it.

Valve was right to say they trust developers to not fuck up because if they do, this happens to them.

Double standards: Find/Replace "Steam" for "Origin" and everybody would be up in arms pulling out their favorite "Fuck EA" gifs. At least some folk are just skeptical and want to hear Valve's side but this attitude you have it's just wrong imho: If you want Valve to continue to have high standards they must be confronted whenever something bad happens.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Double standards: Find/Replace "Steam" for "Origin" and everybody would be up in arms pulling out their favorite "Fuck EA" gifs. At least some folk are just skeptical and want to hear Valve's side but this attitude you have it's just wrong imho: If you want Valve to continue to have high standards they must be confronted whenever something bad happens.

I would have said the same if it was EA. I don't agree with the guy's attitude. The company has told him they trust him and he betrayed this trust almost immediately.

There are lots of things wrong with Steam and Valve but this isn't one of them.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

So much wrong, such wow... 

Trying to patch up every single flaw would leave you with a crippled experience.

No, not allowing <script> to be run is so basic it's security 101. Here's 2 videos on XSS and cross-site scripting to educate yourself. Really easy to understand and you can see the implications. 

By drawing attention to this "flaw" this developer just invited other people to use it for no reason whereas before most people did not know it existed or cared that it existed.

Maybe he's saying bullshit about warning Valve. But if he did and Valve didn't answer with a "Oh thanks, we're working on it", they're wrong. I don't say he did the right thing by exposing it. But Valve surely not did the right thing ignoring it.  

It isn't a security flaw if there is no one using it.

Really !?! Wow... not much to say here.  

You can't let vunarabilities open to developers just on good faith. It ain't right. @Misanthrope is spot on, replace Steam by Origin and it's the shit storm right here.

We can't know how big this issue can be. It surely can abuse Steam pretty easily, clicking on every link on that page. Maybe even a little bit further and buying without user's consent. Who knows...

We can't know how big this issue can be. It surely can abuse Steam pretty easily, clicking on every link on that page. Maybe even a little bit further and buying without user's consent. Who knows...

I don't think so, If it was that easy why hasn't it happened up until now?

No developer in the world is stupid enough exploit this. It doesn't matter if the flaw is there no one will use it because no developer would dare being kicked out of Steam.

You can't let vulnerabilities open to developers just on good faith. It ain't right. @Misanthrope is spot on, replace Steam by Origin and it's the shit storm right here.

There has to be a lot of trust between devs and steam. They don't test the binaries that devs upload.. Who knows, one day a dev might got "fuck it, I want some bitcoin" and just sneak a miner into the game.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

I don't think so, If it was that easy why hasn't it happened up until now?

No developer in the world is stupid enough exploit this. It doesn't matter if the flaw is there no one will use it because no developer would dare being kicked out of Steam.

Probably because it has happened, there are things known as private exploits

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Probably because it has happened, there are things known as private exploits

In this day and age I don't think something like that can stay a secret.