Is This An Illegal Copy?

my parents dont like change and they think linux is a HUGE change. and its alot of work to setup everything from what i heard. also my sister plays LoL and i play minecraft on that atm until i get my rig done

Just make the Linux profile look Windows-ish and tell them the recent updates jacked up the profile due to security issues, done. Tell sis LoL and MineCraft are considered security threats and that you'll let your parents know those games caused the changes if she raises the issue.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

your version of windows was hacked, this is why it didnt shut down.

I am not sure what you mean by scare tactics, i am just stating the facts of how the OS works.

Bahaha, my bad! I meant that it would shut down just fine, and the entire OS was perfectly functional. I'll just go back and edit that :)

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

Just left click that update, and select HIDE THIS UPDATE, there you go.

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

like a few ppl said, either shell out the 200 or just instal any of the flavors of linux onto ur machines, 100% free, works just the same, as I assume your sister will only be unsig it for facebook, and u maybe a bit of gaming, which is possible!

• 1 month later...

If windows wasn't so expensive it wouldn't get pirated as much because some people would rather pay a small fee and have it genuine that do something illegal and use a cracked copy, But people who don't have a spare £80 lying around basically feel they would rather have the cracked copy, Especially when it's not different from the genuine copy

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.4GHZ  GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 1446Mhz +35mV  MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING Custom Matte Black Painted Chipset and VRM Heatsinks  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB CL8 (1600MHZ)  CPU Cooler: Full Custom PETG loop with HardwLabs Black Ice Rads 1x280mm 1x360mm, EKWB CPU Acetal Nickel GPU Block  SSD: SanDisk ULTRA II 480GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue  PSU: Corsair AX760 80+PLATINUM with Black Cable Mods Singular Sleeved Cables  Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 3 Intake 3 Exhaust Notcua NF-A14 LTT EDITION  Mouse: Logitech G502 1750DPI Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire TK MX Blue Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 144HZ Headset : Logitech G430 7.1 Case Fans: LTT EDITION Noctuas 4 x 140mm & 2x 120mm all with white Chromax Anti-vibration pads Mouse Pad: Cooler Master CM Storm Speed-RX M

World of Goo was a game that was the most pirated. It was an awesome game, super well reviewed. It's an indi game..

Even the dev made a special where you pay what you want starting at 1$ and up... It got even more pirated.

The guys that made the game, was like CDProjekt, anti-DRM. World of Goo had no product key, no DRM of any kind. You just install and play.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/11/acrying-shame-world-of-goo-piracy-rate-near-90/

if i could game on it i would happily donate the price of a windows licence to the linux foundation lol

Windows 8 Pro (highest edition of Windows 8) upgrade (yes, you can clean install) was at 40$ at release. I can't believe people didn't get it.

This. I bought a couple licenses.

I think that was a fair price. What they're asking now is just rediculous (as always)

heck im technically running an illegal copy of windows 7 on my lenovo laptop

after formatting my laptop and using a windows 7 iso i got from microsoft

for some reason a week later windows thinks my key is not genuine which is strange because the key im using is the same key under my battery

ended up cracking it

if i was you id just download ubuntu and install wine so u can use some microsoft software that isnt available on wlinux

pretty much does everything except playing lots of games

when u think of it its like a mac

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

my GF is getting a laptop on windows 8 but she hates the os, so were swapping them, putting 7 on her new one using the key from her old laptop, then using the key from the new 1 to put 8 on her old one before she sells it lol

heck im technically running an illegal copy of windows 7 on my lenovo laptop

after formatting my laptop and using a windows 7 iso i got from microsoft

for some reason a week later windows thinks my key is not genuine which is strange because the key im using is the same key under my battery

ended up cracking it

Very strange, to a point that were doing the activation again, was too hard for you. Suspicious.

if i was you id just download ubuntu and install wine so u can use some microsoft software that isnt available on wlinux

pretty much does everything except playing lots of games

when u think of it its like a mac

So what don't you do that?

my GF is getting a laptop on windows 8 but she hates the os, so were swapping them, putting 7 on her new one using the key from her old laptop, then using the key from the new 1 to put 8 on her old one before she sells it lol

Won't be possible. Laptops that come preinstalled with Windows 8 have the key baked into the BIOS of the motherboard. No way to use it other than using it for that laptop

Very strange, to a point that were doing the activation again, was too hard for you. Suspicious.

So what don't you do that?

i OWN a thinkpad as i said

which means i also own the windows license that comes with it

its not my fault the stupid activation didnt work

i tried again but it quickly said invalid use another one

if you want proof PM me and ill send you a pic of the key (which is an RTM key under the battery they are all the same)

he is using a copy that has been activated illegally

different story

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Just crack it, takes like a minute.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I used a cracked Windows 7 for about a year or two after my old PC's OEM copy had to be erased (before anyone moans, currently using legitimate Windows 8). Aside from having to avoid this particular update, it worked flawlessly. The PC will shut down just fine after extended use. It will work fine as long as this update is avoided, and if it isn't then it merely says "bah, activation invalid, bah" and that's remedied by uninstalling the update and cracking the OS again. It's okay if you disagree with the ethical values of piracy, but you shouldn't resort to petty scare tactics.

I use custom (non actuvated) version of Windows always, and never avoided any update, i don't know about how bad your "hacked" version of windows was, but you can baypass activation process witout any problem with updates, i guess that some people are just bad pireates lol.

And yes, i do not have valid copy of the windows (i gave it away, Windows 7 basic).

Well then you have answered your own question my friend.

Continue using the illegal copy, you may find that it will shut down after and extended use or you download an update.

Then you will be unable to use the pc without a hack.

Maybe then they will consider the licence?

That's doubtful. I've had computers that had their product keys "used" because I tried installing the Media Center pack after it was registered, and after the installation it would prompt you for a key and you wouldn't be able to use the one you had entered.

All that happens when a key isn't entered is:

a ) Writing will appear on the desktop in the bottom right corner, overtop of your wallpaper

b ) A full screen message occasionally appears asking you to register Windows (every few hours or so, though that's just approximate)

Won't be possible. Laptops that come preinstalled with Windows 8 have the key baked into the BIOS of the motherboard. No way to use it other than using it for that laptop

will have to call HP then and say we don't want it and want a refund for the licence than. 

ya but my mom refuses to use anything but IE. and i hate it i try and talke her into something else but she wont budge. so can i get IE on there?

Here is what I did to my Nana, who also refuses to use anything Other than IE.

Installed Google chrome,

Renamed the shortcut to Internet Explorer,

Changed the icon to the I.E. Icon,

Told her I updated Internet explorer.

Problem solved :)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I use custom (non actuvated) version of Windows always, and never avoided any update, i don't know about how bad your "hacked" version of windows was, but you can baypass activation process witout any problem with updates, i guess that some people are just bad pireates lol.

And yes, i do not have valid copy of the windows (i gave it away, Windows 7 basic).

I agree with you. You misread my post. You're not the first in this thread to do that so perhaps I just worded it poorly. 

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

I have both (a Win 7HP with disk and Win 7UL no disk) and and both say they are genuine no matter the update :D

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Here is what I did to my Nana, who also refuses to use anything Other than IE.

Installed Google chrome,

Renamed the shortcut to Internet Explorer,

Changed the icon to the I.E. Icon,

Told her I updated Internet explorer.

Problem solved :)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

I just forced them to use Firefox or Chrome from the start, they are set up the same.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine