Is This An Illegal Copy?

My sisters boyfriend just updated our computers to windows 7 and he said when there is an update not to let it install update # KB971033. does this mean its an illegal copy? what should i do? thanks.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033

There is an update available to the activation and validation components in Windows Activation Technologies for Windows 7.

Windows Activation Technologies helps you confirm that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is genuine. Additionally, Windows Activation Technologies helps protect against the risks of counterfeit software. Windows Activation Technologies in Windows 7 consists of activation and validation components that contain anti-piracy features.
  • Activation is an anti-piracy technology that verifies the product key for the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer. The product key is a 25-character code that is located on the Certificate of Authenticity label or on the proof of license label. These labels are included with each genuine copy of Windows. A genuine product key can only be used on the number of computers that are specified in a software license.
  • Validation is an online process that enables you to verify that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is activated correctly and is genuine.

Its an update to the windows activation. So it might be an illegal copy :/

By my reading, yes it does mean it is illegal. The KB971033 update is specific for checking windows activation. If he legally updated your Windows to version 7 then he also should have stuck the product key sticker to your PC.

you can remove windows 7 licence and use it 30days X 4 times (120) days for free and its not illegal CHECK HERE

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

By my reading, yes it does mean it is illegal. The KB971033 update is specific for checking windows activation. If he legally updated your Windows to version 7 then he also should have stuck the product key sticker to your PC.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033

Its an update to the windows activation. So it might be an illegal copy :/

well ya it sounds to be illegal. what should i do? my parents arent about to shell out $200 for windows 7.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

If you want an windows 7 to be genuine you have to buy it. 

If you have the old windows version the computer was running before, you can reinstall it :)

Go out and buy a copy, each owner of a pc should have their own copy.

You should not have the need for anyone to load an OS on your own pc if you have your own licence.

what happens if we accidently install that update do we get arrested?  lol i know i sound dumb but i know more about hardware than software

Go out and buy a copy, each owner of a pc should have their own copy.

You should not have the need for anyone to load an OS on your own pc if you have your own licence.

like i said my parents arent gonna spend $200 on a license 

like i said my parents arent gonna spend $200 on a license 

Well then you have answered your own question my friend.

Continue using the illegal copy, you may find that it will shut down after and extended use or you download an update.

Then you will be unable to use the pc without a hack.

Maybe then they will consider the licence?

what happens if we accidently install that update do we get arrested?  lol i know i sound dumb but i know more about hardware than software

No you don't get arrested, but windows will not download security updates etc. anymore. It will also tell you that windows is not genuine. 

No you don't get arrested, but windows will not download security updates etc. anymore. It will also tell you that windows is not genuine. 

Well then you have answered your own question my friend.

Continue using the illegal copy, you may find that it will shut down after and extended use or you download an update.

Then you will be unable to use the pc without a hack.

Maybe then they will consider the licence?

k thanks. i guess thats the last time we ask him for help lol

I got told by a friend a long time ago about that same update, so yes, I'd say he is covering his ass so you think its legit as long as possible.

Apon the activation of this update,..Your Wallpaper will stop working and be blank black, the windows is not genuine logo will show up on the desktop, you get an annoying not genuine message at the start of windows halting the loading process until you click ok/cancel to get past it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Seeing as you are on windows 7 if you have a cracked version of windows then you should get a black background with the build number in the bottom right and it will become un-registered.

There is no way that you will ever get arrested for a illegal copy of windows seeing as there is a lot of people who used a cracked copy.

There are ways in which you can remove that update and also get rid of genuine advantage if it comes up and then recrack but i suspect that i am not aloud to explain that here :P

I would never use a real licence of windows its really not worth it just disable all updates and you should be okay.  

$200 for windows 7 now woah I have seen it much cheaper £40 for a copy of home premium which I believe is $60 but anyway like others say there are ways of getting round it that people that have cracked the OS use although I will not share these options and have no experience using them

Dude, windows is one of the most pirated pieces of software out there, behind photoshop and some stupid driver software. Microsoft don't care enough to have you arrested, as long as they have market share, in my opinion, they're not phased at all.

#!

If youre really that bothered just buy Windows 8 with a student discount, I got it for £25 for 5 activations.

If youre really that bothered just buy Windows 8 with a student discount, I got it for £25 for 5 activations.

windows seven where im at if $400 and windows 7 OEM is $100

If you are a student in a school where they are registered through MSDNAA, you have Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro ready to be downloaded for free.

Contact your school IT department to know if they are registered, your account info, and where to go.

Microsoft has Windows 8 Pro student pricing on their online Microsoft Store, but it's the Upgrade edition, so you need a genuine Windows 7, Vista or XP to start with.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.264954100?WT.mc_id=WOL_Win8ProStudent

Windows 8 Pro (highest edition of Windows 8) upgrade (yes, you can clean install) was at 40$ at release. I can't believe people didn't get it.

If you are a student in a school where they are registered through MSDNAA, you have Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro ready to be downloaded for free.

Contact your school IT department to know if they are registered, your account info, and where to go.

Microsoft has Windows 8 Pro student pricing on their online Microsoft Store, but it's the Upgrade edition, so you need a genuine Windows 7, Vista or XP to start with.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.264954100?WT.mc_id=WOL_Win8ProStudent

Windows 8 Pro (highest edition of Windows 8) upgrade (yes, you can clean install) was at 40$ at release. I can't believe people didn't get it.

I LOVE the dreamspark feature microsoft has for us student, legit windows since when i got the license to use it :D ( in my school you can get any MS programms 4 free)

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Same here.. except for Office.. I guess Microsoft needs to make some level of money :)

But I am fine with this.. beside as for most people, the advance features of a new Office is usually not used, you don't need to update it every new release. And also, there is student pricing on this as well.

Visio, OneNote (best note taking software EVAR!), and Project are the only office app we have for free.

Seems not legit to me... Just reinstall your old OS, that is probably the easiest thing to do... :| kind of sucks for you though...

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Same here.. except for Office.. I guess Microsoft needs to make some level of money :)

But I am fine with this.. beside as for most people, the advance features of a new Office is usually not used, you don't need to update it every new release. And also, there is student pricing on this as well.

Visio, OneNote (best note taking software EVAR!), and Project are the only office app we have for free.

But hey, Office 365 University for $80 for 4 years is still a pretty good deal!

And you can also get 6 months for free here: https://www.officeforstudents.com/

im going to put this here -snip- and not say anything other than it will fix your problem and you wont have any build errors....

take from it what you want.........

Link to illegal material removed

—Glenwing

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

Any data Microsoft collect on you, they're not allowed to use it in court, so I wouldn't worry :) Your covered by privacy laws !
If you PC doesn't have a legal version of windows, you are allowed to buy an OEM copy just for that PC, much cheaper option.

Or just download a free and legal copy of Linux (Ubuntu best option), also Open office is free and works with Linux. This OS isn't that big on gaming, yet 1!