New Forza on Xbox One. 30 fps.

deathjester

“30 [frames-per-second] actually enables us to realise that experience.”

“I think I remember that’s always a hot-button topic, until a game comes out and people go, ‘Oh, this actually really works.’ But 1080p was an absolute must for us; it’s the benchmark for next-gen.”

Summary. Resolution meant nothing before (remember it is just a number), and we should all be sitting like 100 feet from our TV's. FPS in a racing game means nothing to, but resolution is now important and an absolute must, and isn't just a number, but FPS is?

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

So resolution is important, but FPS is still just a number?

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

So resolution is important, but FPS is still just a number?

Well that and FPS that is lower is "cinematic". Have to remember that. We need a rulebook for "next gen". I need to know what titles to lock at 30 fps on my PC for that "next gen experience". 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Can't read the post. Fix it naaaaow.

LoL for the people who use the dark theme this happens all of the time. I just highlight the text, it's a pain, but it works.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

In a a racing game SURELY FPS is significantly more important than resolution?!

I mean, if they have to cut corners, then do it right.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Cmon...increase the graphics. Put the game at silky smooth 10fps. It'll be fun.

Well that and FPS that is lower is "cinematic". Have to remember that. We need a rulebook for "next gen". I need to know what titles to lock at 30 fps on my PC for that "next gen experience".

screw "cinematic" the hobbit has higher FPS than forza, and that's actually cinematic.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/04/forza-horizon-2-resolution-framerate-music-more-detailed-ign-first?page=3

“30 [frames-per-second] actually enables us to realise that experience.”

“I think I remember that’s always a hot-button topic, until the reviews we bought come out and people go, ‘Oh, this actually really works.’ 

There MS, fixed that for you.

-------

Current Rig

-------

LoL for the people who use the dark theme this happens all of the time. I just highlight the text, it's a pain, but it works.

Yes, but it shows that the OP didn't even take the extra time to CTRL+Shift+V instead of CTRL+V. It really take 0 effort to make it easier for us dark theme users. 

Yes, but it shows that the OP didn't even take the extra time to CTRL+Shift+V instead of CTRL+V. It really take 0 effort to make it easier for us dark theme users.

Wait I don't know what that does, what does it do?

Wait I don't know what that does, what does it do?

CTRL+Shift+V means past as plain text. It removes all prior formatting (i.e. certain fonts (and sizes), colors, italics, bold, hyperlinks, etc.

Yep, resolution is all that matters. I'll be waiting for the Forza game that will come after this with  4k @3FPS. It'll be cinematic as shit.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Forza Horizon, in the time I've played, has never dropped a noticeable amount of FPS and the 30 FPS is not noticeable. I've been playing at "console" resolutions all my life and am fine with 30 FPS. However, I cannot see any reason why a game like this can not be played at 1080p 60 FPS. Unless the game will have extremely high detailed weather system, environment, and cars.  

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

CTRL+Shift+V means past as plain text. It removes all prior formatting (i.e. certain fonts (and sizes), colors, italics, bold, hyperlinks, etc.

This is delicious information, before I was using the automatic text colour, now I'll just do that, thanks a lot I should have known that before I use plenty of shortcuts but I am still missing some winners.

fps is much more important in a racing game than resolution. i find it so funny that all these developers keep coming up with excuses. everyone knows that the consoles are just anemic power wise

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

720p @60fps > 1080p @30fps especially for a racing game.

240p @60fps > 4K @30fps when it comes to racing games.  No compromise.

240p @60fps > 4K @30fps when it comes to racing games.  No compromise.

No in that situation I'd take the 30fps 4K, I'd settle for the low framerate over spending half the race trying to discern which pixel is the car.

No in that situation I'd take the 30fps 4K, I'd settle for the low framerate over spending half the race trying to discern which pixel is the car.

We did it in the 90's.  Suck it up. :)

Weird, given how F5 is 1080p@60fps. 

Then again, the last Horizon was fun and I still don't know (and hence don't care) what the numbers were. 

I must be weird like that, just enjoying the game and being ignorant of the numbers it has. 

Weird, given how F5 is 1080p@60fps. 

Then again, the last Horizon was fun and I still don't know (and hence don't care) what the numbers were. 

I must be weird like that, just enjoying the game and being ignorant of the numbers it has. 

FPS in a RPG not a big deal. FPS in a shooter more of a big deal. FPS in a racing game? Huge deal. You can tell. If the game feels slow. FPS is the problem. Racing games are about a sense of speed and you get that feeling of speed from a higher FPS and being able to clearly see things that give you that sense of speed. Lose that? The game is pointless. 

Especially in a sim when speeds are not "silly" and you aren't hitting boost pads or using rockets to make you go faster etc. 

Sorry bout that. Fixed it for ya. Currently on some heavy pain medication for my back and I am operating at 30 FPS.  ;)

The first Horizon played great with 30fps so I believe this will be fine. To get the sense of speed they use motion blur.

ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ : Planning Stages.

i7 4790K | MSI Krait | 480 GB SSD | R9 295 x2 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Watercooled