Why do people care about frame rate?

Trail Mixorz

I don't mean this in the way you may think. I mean who cares if the guy next to you doesn't mind 30fps, but you can't stand anything under 60fps? It's like telling someone their wrong because they don't like hotdogs but you do. /endminirant

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

are you drunk bro?

Slap outta yoru GPU from your system and play BF4 on ultra and see why WE care about frame rates..

LOL

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

That's a fine opinion to have if you only want the play at 30fps, but letting that opinion artificially hold back the entire industry when there's no reason to settle for just 30fps is where the problem comes in. 

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

I don't mean this in the way you may think. I mean who cares if the guy next to you doesn't mind 30fps, but you can't stand anything under 60fps? It's like telling someone their wrong because they don't like hotdogs but you do. /endminirant

People start caring if that guy tells them they're wasting their money on a pc because you can't tell the difference. Also if a developer says 30fps is better than 60, which is just plain wrong (it's not subjective in this case, 60fps is better even if you don't mind 30), people tend to disagree and say so.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's one thing to say hotdogs with mustard are not your favorite, but it's another thing entirely to say that all hotdogs should not have mustard, because you can't be assed to buy a bottle of it.

The crowd had gathered there to watch him fall, to watch their hopes destroyed. They watched them beat him, they watched them break him, they watched his last defense deployed.

There was not a man among them who would let himself be heardFrom the crowd, from their collective fear, arose these broken words:

"We are the dead."

It's mainly because that games have an active user input vs other mediums of entertainment which don't have much (or any) user control. More frames really benefit how responsive a game feels. Playing CS:GO with 120 frames is a huge difference over 30 in a competitive environment.

#Perfectionists

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

are you drunk bro?

Slap outta yoru GPU from your system and play BF4 on ultra and see why WE care about frame rates..

LOL

That's not what I'm saying. Personally I try to get 60fps even if I have to lower settings, but I'm not yelling at someone playing at 30.

That's a fine opinion to have if you only want the play at 30fps, but letting that opinion artificially hold back the entire industry when there's no reason to settle for just 30fps is where the problem comes in.

Yeah I can see why that's ridiculous. but is the industry really making games locked 30fps? Maybe some unoptimized games like dayz or something?

People start caring if that guy tells them they're wasting their money on a pc because you can't tell the difference. Also if a developer says 30fps is better than 60, which is just plain wrong (it's not subjective in this case, 60fps is better even if you don't mind 30), people tend to disagree and say so.

But some people really can't tell the difference, same with 60hz vs 120hz, like seen in one of linus' videos, where he has a non gamer who can't tell at the end of the test.

It's one thing to say hotdogs with mustard are not your favorite, but it's another thing entirely to say that all hotdogs should not have mustard, because you can't be assed to buy a bottle of it.

But no one is really saying they should ban 60fps, they just say they can't tell the difference, unless I'm missing something somewhere.

It's mainly because that games have an active user input vs other mediums of entertainment which don't have much (or any) user control. More frames really benefit how responsive a game feels. Playing CS:GO with 120 frames is a huge difference over 30 in a competitive environment.

Trust me I know, especially in csgo, I'm one person that wants the highest possible frame rate, but idk why some people decide to put those who can't tell the difference down and pretty much tell them they're wrong while it's personal preference that is a playable fps

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

this this and more this!

30fps is fantastic if thats the only option or if the system simply cant run anything higher.  but to force people into low fps and call it "next gen" is unacceptable. 

i tend to run everything at around 45fps because i choose to also play everything on max. but if i put things on medium, i get 60+. even so, i can clearly see the difference in gameplay between the two. but its this choice that is important. the choice to decide how to play your game

ive been saying for years that "next gen" consoles using old hardware, setting the gaming industry behind.  game developers dont have to optimize things for pc since they can optimize it for a console with old tech in it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I understand you.

Once i considered 15fps to be playable because i was gaming on a crappy laptop for 4 years. I went from an integrated intel 945GM to a R9 290, and OH BOII

I was like jesus christ what the hell why everything is in fast forward

I may have missed this, but who's yelling at people for being fine with 30 fps?

I've seen all around the forum and web etc. where one person would say 30 fps is fine for them and instantly someone would just jump on them saying 30 is unplayable and that they're wrong etc.

30fps = Hotdog bun (yes, only a bun)

60fps = Actual hotdog.

Most people who try to explain 60fps vs 30fps are attempting to be informative. It's only when console peasants players swear up and down there's no difference between 30fps and 60fps is when an argument breaks out, because obviously there is a difference. Then you have the utter morons who think they know all about science who say your eyes can only see up to 24fps, which is why movies only shoot up to 24fps, and all these other half-truths. It gets even funnier (mostly sad) when people say "I own a 2 thousand dollar gaming pc with dual radeon Titan x2 black and 8-core i7 cpu and an XBone and I prefer the Xbone because it's more cinematic."

This is why the #PCMasterRace will always be the master race.

Let's be real guys, it has been medically proven that the human eye is incapable of seeing beyond 24 FPS. That's why movies run at 24 FPS. I cap my games at 24 FPS on purpose to make them feel more cinematic and realistic!

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I've seen all around the forum and web etc. where one person would say 30 fps is fine for them and instantly someone would just jump on them saying 30 is unplayable and that they're wrong etc.

The very ppl that say that have never played a game at 60fps, and once they have they will not want to go back to 30fps. Its just like 1080p ppl that have only see 720p say its fine but once they see 1080p they don't want 720p back.

If you say 30fps is fine then you should be happy with 720p as well as they are both old standers.

Why are ppl saying they are happy with 30fps but they ar made that there games are not 1080p?

50fps is enough for me.

My GPU is gettin' old. D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I understand you.

Once i considered 15fps to be playable because i was gaming on a crappy laptop for 4 years. I went from an integrated intel 945GM to a R9 290, and OH BOII

I was like jesus christ what the hell why everything is in fast forward

haha yeah, same here :D  I was playing at ~25 fps for years before I finally built myself a decent rig, now everything below 40 seems choppy to me.

haha yeah, same here :D  I was playing at ~25 fps for years before I finally built myself a decent rig, now everything below 40 seems choppy to me

warp-speed-o.gif

Dat feeling at 120fps

Let's be real guys, it has been medically proven that the human eye is incapable of seeing beyond 24 FPS. That's why movies run at 24 FPS. I cap my games at 24 FPS on purpose to make them feel more cinematic and realistic!

take a look at this:

I think it has to do with the frame pacing, if everything is 100% aligned, the eye can't see more than 24 fps, but as soon as the pacing is slightly off, like it almost always is when gaming, your eye will see that as stuttering. When I play with Vsync enabled, I can immediately tell you when it jumps from 60 fps down to 30, without having fraps enabled.

Hold on to your butts , this is gonnna be a big one..

As you become a hardcore gamer , you realise that your every move is important , usually the stuff we see in movies are 24 fps added motion blur gives us the "film effect" , however 30fps is minimum as it is the most amount frames required inorder to give the video life like clarity as we persive with our eyes without any framerates , also the motion becomes fluid and easier for the eyes as more framerate eases the brain from having to predict what comes next, and quicker to respond.

In gaming , ther more & more you get into it , you realise how quickly you need to react the moment you see the impulse(target) , for quick reation you need microsecond reaction or response time , this is for above average gamer , not casual gameers , for them 30fps is more than enough to judge/plan & react/respond , for extreme gamers they see fine details as frames shift, the more frames there is , the quicker they can react to it..so for hardcore gamers , this is important , for casual gamer 30 fps is enough ,

if an extreme gamer plays a 30 fps game even tho the details are cranked up to the max , they will see a choppy motion rather than fluid motion, this can easily distract you probably cost you the win..

In short for an extreme gamer

30 FPS = Compressed Dvdrip , 120fps = 30 foot IMAX 3D

for casual gamer

30FPS = Dvdrip , 120 FPS = Dvdrip

Details separate people.

If you're fine with 30fps it's because ignorance is bliss... It's justified to tell them they're wrong just like it's important to continue telling people that $300 beats headphones are garbage even if it might sound good to someone who doesn't know what good sounds like.

take a look at this:

I think it has to do with the frame pacing, if everything is 100% aligned, the eye can't see more than 24 fps, but as soon as the pacing is slightly off, like it almost always is when gaming, your eye will see that as stuttering. When I play with Vsync enabled, I can immediately tell you when it jumps from 60 fps down to 30, without having fraps enabled.

Obvious joke was obviously not obvious enough....

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Simple:

-> Faster frame rate, means smoother animation, and easier to the eye, and allows you to react faster. However, the benefit of return deminishes after 60fps (60Hz). 120fps for 120Hz monitors is something that only hardcore FPS players can take advantage of.

-> However, a miss conception, is that refresh rate is not and all be all. It's stability. If a game jump from 60 to 120fps and back down none stop... you won't be able to play properly the game, despite running at high fps. You want to get a solid fps experience. A consistent 120fps, or consistent 60fps. That is why when you look at benchmark of games, you want to get a graphics card that provides the smallest gab between min and max frame per seconds. But people usually just look at average or max, which is wrong.

But some people really can't tell the difference

Most people can, and anyway I'll be the judge of what I can or can't tell, not some guy on the internet who says I wasted my money based on the fact that HE can't tell the difference.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*