SDD question..

So I'm thinking about getting a Samsung 840 evo. I'm looking at putting both my OS and games on the SSD because I want the fast load and boot times. But I've also heard that it's not good to put games on a SSD because games are constantly reading and writing and this effects the lifetime of the drive?

Also if you could comment your experience with the 840 evo or if you know a better cheaper SDD recommend me one!

Putting games on an SSD is perfectly fine. Whoever said that, well, they are wrong. lol.

And I have 2 evo's and love them. As far as I know people have nothing but great experiences with them!

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

It's fine to put games on an SSD. Writes are what shorten the life of an SSD, and games don't write too much. If you were using it for something like rendering then it would be different. 

The 840 EVO is a very good SSD. There are cheaper SSDs, but they're not better. 

I think you should have your os and some programs on your ssd, and have your games on a separate hd. But if you really want them to be on your ssd. I'd advice to get a larger ssd something like 240gb or larger.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Even if you someone says games can decrease the life span SSD the SSD isn't going to last forever anyway. Plus that is price you pay for having fast load times, and chances the SSD is still going to last for the length of time it takes for your build to become out of date anyway. 

if you want to put an OS and games on an SSD get 256/240GB don't make the mistake of a 120GB. Although if your fine with setting stuff up and rearranging where games install too and are afraid that an SSD may fail put the OS on one SSD and games another second SSD. this will be more expensive though.  

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So I'm thinking about getting a Samsung 840 evo. I'm looking at putting both my OS and games on the SSD because I want the fast load and boot times. But I've also heard that it's not good to put games on a SSD because games are constantly reading and writing and this effects the lifetime of the drive?

Also if you could comment your experience with the 840 evo or if you know a better cheaper SDD recommend me one!

First and foremost, as far as mine, and pretty much everyone's experience with the 840 EVO? Beyond fantastic. Nothing touches these SSDs, I don't care what anyone says. The ratings & reviews speak for themselves. Period.

Now, as far as your concern with throwing games on an SSD. I'll leave all the geeky technical details out; but, I will tell you this: No, you don't want to throw ALL of your games on it. Not really because of what you mentioned (which isn't that big of an issue, but a legitimate concern), and to clarify; I would say that whoever told you that isn't correct, most would argue (it's negligible) - but also because you don't want to fill up your OS/Boot SSD. As we all know, Windows is always updating, there's always new drivers, etc. But not only for that.. Also for performance reasons.

If you DO want your games on an SSD - I say instead of getting a large SSD for both your OS + Games, I would get 2 SSDs (and a HDD, if you need it..) and put the OS and your top 3 games on there, and the rest on the other SSD or 7200 RPM HDD.

Hope that answered your questions.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Everyone here is right on the money. Writes are what shorten the lifespan. And games won't write to it that much that will drastically shorten it's life span. With that said. Is it worth it to put it in the SSD? Yes and no. Yes because if you have the capacity and I'm talking about 500GB+ SSD then it might be, but you won't get any performance aside decreased loading times. There's no FPS gain and no increase performance in gaming,  the games will only load faster. And even then if you game on a HDD you won't notice much difference if any at all. And no if you don't have the capacity, you're better buying a seperate HDD or using your old one and installing the games there. Use that SSD for your OS and programs and your old or new HDD for games and media.

sure you can, and i don't think that games read and right that much, read, yeah, but they don't right as much when you're playing so the life time of your SSD is perfectly fine, and the 840Evo is the best bet at it's price range, a 240GB perhaps

-BTW change the topic title to SSD question

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

what a load of crap you can write some serious amounts of data to a SSD before it becomes and issue.  i will dig the artical up but some one is doing a test on a set of SSDs to see how there performance degrades. at the last count all of the drives were at 600TB worth of writes with NO performance lost.  i have had my EVO for 6 months and managed to add 1.65TB to my drive (had a pagefile on there for a short time) .......you will proberbly upgrade before it becomes an issue i would say this though. you should not fill your drive infact you want 10-15% free space to keep the performance up bear that in mind when looking at size. i have a 120gb and it is not enough for more than 2 games od a decent size

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Thanks heaps for your replys guys.

Well you've convinced me.. Going to go with the 250gb 840 evo and put games and media on my 1tb WD blue.

Thanks again :)

dont put all your games on there, just something that dont do heavy writing 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

@ConnorMacleod95

Before i had an ssd skyrim was a pain when loading, now that ive got the ssd i absolutely love it! load times in skyrim are practically no-existent now. If you're worrying about all the reading and writing I've had my ssd for 1.5years now and i've done 

6.7TB writes and 4.9TB reads. And its still running strong, then again you'd have to write 765TB before it fails.(running hyper x 3k btw)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Endurance is the last thing to worry about ssds B) B) B)

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian