BOINC Pentathlon 2024

3 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Depending on what brand servers they are it'll probably be better to just ship the RAM, CPU, motherboard for the setups. Nearly all my servers are running naked, but my big GPU rigs are in mining racks. I do have that one 4P intel rig that's in the 4U server chassis, but that's normally what I go with. Those 1U, 2U, etc... servers are LOUD and I like putting tower coolers on my setups to help with the noise. Having as many servers as I do in my home is already ridiculous enough. Adding those screamer fans would be just unbearable beyond what most would already think is unbearable in my home anyway.

Soon as the Pentathlon is off 90% of my stuff will be going offline for the Summer. It's 90F+ inside during the day, although it cools off to the low 80s, high 70s at night.  Summers suck. 

Been getting warm in here today too...

DSC_0984.thumb.JPG.d487ef82ee98212f24a631f993d4b22b.JPG

I've even got an industrial fan and sun shades 

DSC_0985.thumb.JPG.706c1189f49403ed1f9e1117d8e21280.JPG

Ignore the mess, Friday is cleaning day

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@leadeater Are we staying with City Run, or should we be starting up Javelin Throw?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

15 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Depending on what brand servers they are it'll probably be better to just ship the RAM, CPU, motherboard for the setups.

They are all HPE so the motherboards aren't too useful if you want to put them in another BYO chassis. All my stuff runs in racks where I work which is why it's both free power and cooling/noise doesn't matter. But that comes with only being allowed to use the hardware for professional development, lab work and scientific research like BOINC and F@H. Since we are a university our TOS on our network links don't allow any commercial profit and all use must be for academic purposes, research or teaching.

I also have an HPE 1000 42U rack at home with servers in that too but only 10 or so, I forget exactly how many.

The other thing I wanted is for us to create a BOINC project but they always say no due to data sensitivity reasons since a lot of the research is tied to commercial funding and they say no, or the university does. Anyway all our researchers have access to multiple different slurm clusters with about 40,000 cores.

Just now, leadeater said:

Stick with City Run, we have a half decent chance at 3rd

Sounds good

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

@Kilrahdid you get your system sorted on RNMA?

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

FYI if nobody has already posted SiDock as been removed as the Steeplechase project and a new one will be selected with a shorted event run time.

@danwat1234 RIP there goes our one chance for a first or 2nd place 🙃

Darn, and some portion of the funds for my BOINC farm came from delivering food to Steeplechase apartments in Vancouver Washington! Oh well. 
Somewhere in this thread there was discussion in which 1 of the projects is multi-staged I believe a math-based one. So some BOINCers would get work done from earlier steps and whether or not there is proper load in the project to run it smoothly. Maybe i was dreaming, or you could point me to more info. Sporatic apps will be something else.

Yes i don't have any batch config manipulation. All ~265 computers are remoted in 1 at a time, and most all are on WIFI in 1 house so that always has maintenance. Switching projects nicely requires configuring 'no new work' on all, days in advance to be nice to the project i am taking a break from. 

4 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

Darn, and some portion of the funds for my BOINC farm came from delivering food to Steeplechase apartments in Vancouver Washington! Oh well. 
Somewhere in this thread there was discussion in which 1 of the projects is multi-staged I believe a math-based one. So some BOINCers would get work done from earlier steps and whether or not there is proper load in the project to run it smoothly. Maybe i was dreaming, or you could point me to more info. Sporatic apps will be something else.

I wouldn't worry about it much, the Pentathlon is just same yearly fun that happens the same time every year. Realistically as a team we need to remember when it's coming and get organized before hand.

The SiDock issue was where the servers are hosted and one of the teams isn't able to connect to servers in that country.

All the current projects are in the first topic post if you are interested in taking a look, The Sprint (Numbers@Home) has finished.

19 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

All ~265 computers are remoted in 1 at a time

Ouch I know that pain, that is how I manage mine currently. It's not fun at all

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Ouch I know that pain, that is how I manage mine currently. It's not fun at all

One of the tools in my toolbox is a basic business-class Dell or HP screen, basic keyboard, mouse I carry around the house to machines that have dropped Wi-Fi and a VGA to USB adapter that I installed the driver for beforehand. All 3 are connected to a little hub so 1 cable to have KVM. 

@danwat1234When you get some time to tinker you should take a look at BOINCTasks to manage all the hosts if they're in the same house. Additionally, you can also look into BAM!. That's B.A.M which stands for BOINC Account Manager and boincstats.com manages one here: https://www.boincstats.com/bam

I can further help/walk you though the setup for BOINC Tasks, and help a little with BAM! as I don't have a whole lot of experience with BAM! personally. I've used it a few times many years ago to get familiar with it to help others, but it's been a while. I'd need to brush up on it myself, but I don't personally use BAM!

I use BOINCTasks.

Additionally, you can just use the BOINC Manager that you download with BOINC and connect it to different hosts on your network as well. 

They do take a little bit of pre-setup though, which again is something I can help walk you through.

9 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

One of the tools in my toolbox is a basic business-class Dell or HP screen, basic keyboard, mouse I carry around the house to machines that have dropped Wi-Fi and a VGA to USB adapter that I installed the driver for beforehand. All 3 are connected to a little hub so 1 cable to have KVM. 

Maybe have a look at BOINCTasks, @SkillzTA pointed it out to me.

2 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Additionally, you can just use the BOINC Manager that you download with BOINC and connect it to different hosts on your network as well. 

Using that is still painful as hell, I usually end up with with multiple instances of manager open connected to all of them. Change between computers via the dropdown and putting in password across ~30 is pure pain, every time 🙃

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well, every year someone gets super annoyed. Never fails to happen 🙄

It should be a warcrimes to get angry about a good time for a good cause!

1 minute ago, TheLANguy said:

It should be a warcrimes to get angry about a good time for a good cause!

I think they are trying to be ironic with that name or something. I just don't have any interest in any of that subject matter and I don't think it should have any place in the competition. None of the people in involved with the BOINC Projects have anything to do with it or any influence over it. What matters is there is an active team in this competition who can't participate, that's it. Why doesn't need to be expanded on, or argued about. Having the project changed 100% sucks, I was super keen to do well in it this year.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What matters is there is an active team in this competition who can't participate, that's it. 

Definitely. It should never be about being jealous of someone's computer or world events. This is a competition and everyone who wants to compete should be able to...   Compete

22 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well, every year someone gets super annoyed. Never fails to happen 🙄

Best thing to do is not to feed the trolls. 

Just now, SkillzTA said:

Best thing to do is not to feed the trolls. 

15hvfl.jpg?a476184

17 hours matters so little to get that annoyed about

Why can't the team use a VPN to access Sidock

4 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

Why can't the team use a VPN to access Sidock

Some can, some can't. But that team itself object to connecting to server hosted there for personal and digital safety reasons. Either way it's changed, and won't be changed back.

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

image.png.184f29833eead55840ef5eb6fcd9bfe1.png

1671794671992?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=n8dt2WQ1dztObNf4syErWajUMqjyPd7nlPsdti71crk

Go go! You guys might get 3rd

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

10 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Go go! You guys might get 3rd

Hope so, damn close for sure.

6 hours ago, SkillzTA said:

@Kilrahdid you get your system sorted on RNMA?

Yup with a workaround... Tried everything I could think of and the benchmarks just will not work at all on this system... but I booted the machine on Linux, installed BOINC there, ran the benchmarks which worked flawlessly, found where it stored the results and copied them over to the Windows install. Seems it worked as the project page now sees it right. Running my first WU batch with that now

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2