Is there a way i can find a nas case like this?

image.png.926411cec4cfff5fc7a58ac1f3c25154.png

The above picture is of a synology nas but i really like the case design with the easily accessible (toolless?) drive sleds and was wondering if anyone makes a case like this that i can buy and then build my own computer in?

Edit: 6 bays strictly

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

29 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Jonsbo N3 and N4 come to mind. 

https://www.jonsbo.com/en/products/N3.html

https://www.jonsbo.com/en/products/N4Black.html

Flip down the door and all the drives are there on sleds. These seem to be quite popular at the moment with small NAS builders. 

These are probably the closest options you will find. With DIY, the hardware won't fit in the tiny space that synology and the like they use. 

If you op is looking for more powerful hardware than what synology offers maybe look at the one from ugreen.

Their 6 bay offers a core i5 cpu and support for 64gb ram. As well as 2 nvme as well. 

Their software is still a work in progress but you can install your own os in it as well. 

I pre-ordered one myself and plan to try ugreens os and if it doesn't work how I would like, I will put truenas on it and check the state of ugos after a year. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

if you wanted to get into rack mounting, there are far more options.

Where? A rack mount case with hot swap bays that doesn’t require a 24" plus cage and reasonably affordable for home use? The models I come across are like $400 usd. Very cost prohibitive. They don’t even fit standard size atx motherboards. It’s a maddening niche field. 

5 hours ago, johnt said:

The models I come across are like $400 usd. Very cost prohibitive.

I mean, OP didn't mention budget so I have no idea what is or isn't cost prohibitive but you can get something like this used 2U SuperMicro chasis comes with the backplane, fans and PSU for under $150 shipped. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

5 hours ago, Skipple said:

I mean, OP didn't mention budget so I have no idea what is or isn't cost prohibitive but you can get something like this used 2U SuperMicro chasis comes with the backplane, fans and PSU for under $150 shipped. 

That's a great price for that chassis. Wish it wasn't so long deep... 

11 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Jonsbo N3 and N4 come to mind. 

https://www.jonsbo.com/en/products/N3.html

https://www.jonsbo.com/en/products/N4Black.html

Flip down the door and all the drives are there on sleds. These seem to be quite popular at the moment with small NAS builders. 

I’ve been looking for a while but the n3 has 5 not 6 bays, and the n4 isn’t available yet. Also getting them in India is a pain.

11 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

These are probably the closest options you will find. With DIY, the hardware won't fit in the tiny space that synology and the like they use. 

If you op is looking for more powerful hardware than what synology offers maybe look at the one from ugreen.

Their 6 bay offers a core i5 cpu and support for 64gb ram. As well as 2 nvme as well. 

Their software is still a work in progress but you can install your own os in it as well. 

I pre-ordered one myself and plan to try ugreens os and if it doesn't work how I would like, I will put truenas on it and check the state of ugos after a year. 

I’m building my own nas, I’m not going to pay for a prebuilt one 

11 hours ago, Skipple said:

These actually seem viable. I’m going to see if I can get them here.

9 hours ago, johnt said:

Where? A rack mount case with hot swap bays that doesn’t require a 24" plus cage and reasonably affordable for home use? The models I come across are like $400 usd. Very cost prohibitive. They don’t even fit standard size atx motherboards. It’s a maddening niche field. 

a rack defeats the purpose of a compact nas. I don’t have the space for a rack and just want a small compact nas

7 hours ago, Skipple said:

That also has 100% import duty to India as it counts as semi knocked down.

again racks aren’t an option 

1 hour ago, johnt said:

That's a great price for that chassis. Wish it wasn't so long deep... 

eh, to be fair I do have a 250-300 usd budget leftover for this part 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

1 minute ago, Indian pc builder said:

I’ve been looking for a while but the n3 has 5 not 6 bays, and the n4 isn’t available yet. Also getting them in India is a pain.

The N3 has 8 bays.

202371182227.jpg

21 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

The N3 has 8 bays.

Damn this thing is almost perfect. If I can find a way to cut off the top, place it side by side, and make it fit into a rack..... it would be end game. Take my money! I would even be happy with 6 bays. I know I'm monopolizing the Op's post but I've been searching for a decent 2u or 3u case with hot swap that isn't 24 inches long (nominal) and I'm convinced it doesn't exist.

25 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

I’m building my own nas, I’m not going to pay for a prebuilt one

Like I mentioned, of you wanted something as compact as the synology, that is your only option. 

If you are willing to go a bit larger those other cases are the next best bet. No DIY case will match the size of the synology. 

10 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

No DIY case will match the size of the synology. 

This upsets me greatly lol I feel like there is a niche market here that I could capitalize on

7 hours ago, johnt said:

This upsets me greatly lol I feel like there is a niche market here that I could capitalize on

The problem is it is a niche of a niche market. If they make a case that small your cooling options are extremely limited for the cpu as well and thus limiting the hardware you can put in it. 

On 4/17/2024 at 11:14 PM, Indian pc builder said:

image.png.926411cec4cfff5fc7a58ac1f3c25154.png

The above picture is of a synology nas but i really like the case design with the easily accessible (toolless?) drive sleds and was wondering if anyone makes a case like this that i can buy and then build my own computer in?

Edit: 6 bays strictly

How about 8 bays?

http://www.u-nas.cn/expansion-enclosure-product-ES-810-detail.html