i want to upgrade my gpu to an rx 470 

my current spec:

i5 2500

8 gb ram 

gtx 650

124 gb ssd

500 gb hdd

450w psu (image included)

i want to add more hardrive too and more ram, i wan to know is this enough to run my new setup

IMG-20231011-WA0002.jpg

32 minutes ago, some dude that need help said:

my current spec:

i5 2500

8 gb ram 

gtx 650

124 gb ssd

500 gb hdd

i want to add more hardrive too and more ram, i wan to know is this enough to run my new setup

450W is enough for the RX 470 and your CPU 🙂

Edit: Picture didnt load on my mobile device.

As mentioned by @jaslion below. Please don't use that PSU any further, its dangerous.

Suggested PSU upgrade.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mnVmP6/msi-mag-a550bn-550-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-mag-a550bn

A decent one yes.

That mess of a firebomb? Hell no

7 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

450W is enough for the RX 470 and your CPU 🙂

I dunno if you saw the picture but it's reqlly not an ok unit to try this on.

Op replace this one with a decent one before you add any extra power draw or else this is a very high chance of killing the computer.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A decent one yes.

That mess of a firebomb? Hell no

I dunno if you saw the picture but it's reqlly not an ok unit to try this on.

Op replace this one with a decent one before you add any extra power draw or else this is a very high chance of killing the computer.

Picture didn't load for me on my mobile device.  You are absolutely correct.

Post edited above.

Thanks you.

A PSU that claims 450ws with 2 12v rails belongs to a trashbin.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

A RX 470 card on its own will consume around 160 watts only from the 12v output of your power supply. 

It will take these 160 watts from two places : around 50-60 watts from the pci-e slot, which in turn is powered from the 24 pin atx connector, and the remaining 90-100 watts is taken from the pci-e 8 pin connector. 

Your power supply claims to have two rails, each capable of up to 18A (12v x 18A = 216 watts) but in total, a maximum of only 400 watts is available on 12v. 

So the video card will take around 50-60 watts from RAIL 1 (which is probably CPU + 24 pin ATX + some peripherals)  and 100 watts from RAIL 2 (pci-e connectors + some peripherals  usually) 

The rest of your components don't consume a lot.

At 100% cpu usage, the i5 2500 will consume around 65w from the 12v output. 

RAM is powered from 5v or 3.3v, and consumes around 2-3w per stick.  A mechanical hard drive consumes around 2-3w from 5v and around 4-6w from 12v (to spin the motor), a SSD consumes around 1-2w when reading files, up to around 4-8w when writing a lot, all this from 5v. 

Fans consume around 2-3 watts from 12v. 

So your 12v power consumption is around 160w for video card, let's say 70w for the CPU, maybe 10w for the fans, maybe 10w for hard drive and other things. 

That would make it a total of around  250 watts out of those 400 watts. 

RX 470 is not a modern video card that sucks power in short bursts or one that has very brief high power draw demands (for example some nvidia cards average 200w but may have spikes of power draw up to 300w, for like 5-10ms, and some power supplies can't handle that) so in theory the power supply you have should work with a RX 470.  But if you can , you should indeed upgrade your power supply. Doesn't have to be very high wattage, a decent 550-600w from a brand name would be fine. 

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

A RX 470 card on its own will consume around 160 watts only from the 12v output of your power supply. 

It will take these 160 watts from two places : around 50-60 watts from the pci-e slot, which in turn is powered from the 24 pin atx connector, and the remaining 90-100 watts is taken from the pci-e 8 pin connector. 

Your power supply claims to have two rails, each capable of up to 18A (12v x 18A = 216 watts) but in total, a maximum of only 400 watts is available on 12v. 

So the video card will take around 50-60 watts from RAIL 1 (which is probably CPU + 24 pin ATX + some peripherals)  and 100 watts from RAIL 2 (pci-e connectors + some peripherals  usually) 

The rest of your components don't consume a lot.

At 100% cpu usage, the i5 2500 will consume around 65w from the 12v output. 

RAM is powered from 5v or 3.3v, and consumes around 2-3w per stick.  A mechanical hard drive consumes around 2-3w from 5v and around 4-6w from 12v (to spin the motor), a SSD consumes around 1-2w when reading files, up to around 4-8w when writing a lot, all this from 5v. 

Fans consume around 2-3 watts from 12v. 

So your 12v power consumption is around 160w for video card, let's say 70w for the CPU, maybe 10w for the fans, maybe 10w for hard drive and other things. 

That would make it a total of around  250 watts out of those 400 watts. 

RX 470 is not a modern video card that sucks power in short bursts or one that has very brief high power draw demands (for example some nvidia cards average 200w but may have spikes of power draw up to 300w, for like 5-10ms, and some power supplies can't handle that) so in theory the power supply you have should work with a RX 470.  But if you can , you should indeed upgrade your power supply. Doesn't have to be very high wattage, a decent 550-600w from a brand name would be fine. 

so i can use it,?

2 hours ago, some dude that need help said:

my current spec:

i5 2500

8 gb ram 

gtx 650

124 gb ssd

500 gb hdd

IMG-20231011-WA0002.jpg

Garbage dual rail psu

Obviously it works for your current system and if you didnt upgrade the gpu work for the forseeable future without issue but i have my doubts with a 470 unless you undervolt it to ~100w

Country?

Site(s) you are buying from?

Price of that 470 and vram capacity?

What mobo?

Whats you current ram config (ex 2x4 4x2 8x1)?

4gb cards should be 30-40$ and 8gb cards should be ~50$, any more and you are overpaying and should look for cheaper listings

Everything that isnt the gpu probs only draws ~100w max which is half of one of those rails, with an undervolted gpu taking up half the capacity of the other rail you should be ok to run it assuming it doesnt shut down under max stress (p95 smallest ffts + superposition/furmark)

If you buy that 470 and it works just fine under full load or atleast undervolted then works fine a psu swap is not neccesary and only reccomended, but if it doesnt run under full load even if you undervolt the gpu to ~100w then obviously a psu replacement is neccesary

Considering the hardware and the gpu choice you have a low budget which means its not advisable to buy new as youll only get trash units and youll be paying a premium too so you should buy used

Should be able to get some decent used 600-700w units around 10-20$, youll probably be working with lesser known brands so ignore branding

guidelines wise the most major are relating to the 12v rail where all multirail psus are garbage and the 12v rail cannot be over 100w lower than psu advertised rating (ex if psu is rated for 700w 12v rail cannot be lower than 50a/600w) otherwise its a trash unit and should be avoided, the closer the 12v rail is to psu advertised rating the higher quality the unit

Prefer units under 7 years old, anything over 12 years old should be avoided, also make sure to check reviews and customer reports online of the psu you are buying if available just to avoid accidentally buying known faulty units

Following the major guidelines i bought 3 used psus all under 20$ (dazumba 450w, dsa ii 550w, tundra 85+ 700w) and all work just fine

7 minutes ago, some dude that need help said:

so i can use it,?

No

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Garbage dual rail psu

Obviously it works for your current system and if you didnt upgrade the gpu work for the forseeable future without issue but i have my doubts with a 470 unless you undervolt it to ~100w

Country?

Site(s) you are buying from?

Price of that 470 and vram capacity?

What mobo?

Whats you current ram config (ex 2x4 4x2 8x1)?

4gb cards should be 30-40$ and 8gb cards should be ~50$, any more and you are overpaying and should look for cheaper listings

Everything that isnt the gpu probs only draws ~100w max which is half of one of those rails, with an undervolted gpu taking up half the capacity of the other rail you should be ok to run it assuming it doesnt shut down under max stress (p95 smallest ffts + superposition/furmark)

If you buy that 470 and it works just fine under full load or atleast undervolted then works fine a psu swap is not neccesary and only reccomended, but if it doesnt run under full load even if you undervolt the gpu to ~100w then obviously a psu replacement is neccesary

Considering the hardware and the gpu choice you have a low budget which means its not advisable to buy new as youll only get trash units and youll be paying a premium too so you should buy used

Should be able to get some decent used 600-700w units around 10-20$, youll probably be working with lesser known brands so ignore branding

guidelines wise the most major are relating to the 12v rail where all multirail psus are garbage and the 12v rail cannot be over 100w lower than psu advertised rating (ex if psu is rated for 700w 12v rail cannot be lower than 50a/600w) otherwise its a trash unit and should be avoided, the closer the 12v rail is to psu advertised rating the higher quality the unit

Prefer units under 7 years old, anything over 12 years old should be avoided, also make sure to check reviews and customer reports online of the psu you are buying if available just to avoid accidentally buying known faulty units

Following the major guidelines i bought 3 used psus all under 20$ (dazumba 450w, dsa ii 550w, tundra 85+ 700w) and all work just fine

im from indonesia 

and a 470 cost about 850k rupiah (52 us)

and im running 8x1 ram, i dont have the money to buy psu + gpu,

Edited by some dude that need help
wrong

Posted (edited)
Just now, jaslion said:

No

will it work with a rx 550?

Edited by some dude that need help
brand

Spoiler
2 hours ago, some dude that need help said:

IMG-20231011-WA0002.jpg

It looks like a knock off of a knock off

I edit my posts more often than not

7 minutes ago, some dude that need help said:

Don't waste your money with a RX 550, it's much lower performance than a RX 470.  

If you want something similar in performance to a RX 470 / RX 570 but less power hungry look for a 1650 or 1660 ... 

Your GTX 650 consumes up to around 60 watts, a 1650 consumes up to 80 watts, 1650 Super goes up to 95 watts and 1660 Super goes to 110 watts. 

If that's the only option, ignore everyone and just get the video card and see what happens. if your system crashes or resets, go in AMD control center and reduce the power budget of the video card by 5-10% to get the power consumption down by around 10-20 watts. There's also other features in the control center like "chill" which reduces power consumption. 

The power supply is not great, but your other components also don't consume a lot of power. 

You SHOULD upgrade with another stick of ram as soon as you can. It doesn't add much to the power consumption, just 2-3 watts, and that's from 3.3v or 5.0v

Dual channel increases the performance in a noticeable way, and having 16 GB of memory will also increase performance quite a bit by reducing the amount of data your Windows will swap all the time to the SSD or hard drive, so the system will feel better.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Don't waste your money with a RX 550, it's much lower performance than a RX 470.  

If you want something similar in performance to a RX 470 / RX 570 but less power hungry look for a 1650 or 1660 ... 

Your GTX 650 consumes up to around 60 watts, a 1650 consumes up to 80 watts, 1650 Super goes up to 95 watts and 1660 Super goes to 110 watts. 

If that's the only option, ignore everyone and just get the video card and see what happens. if your system crashes or resets, go in AMD control center and reduce the power budget of the video card by 5-10% to get the power consumption down by around 10-20 watts. There's also other features in the control center like "chill" which reduces power consumption. 

The power supply is not great, but your other components also don't consume a lot of power. 

You SHOULD upgrade with another stick of ram as soon as you can. It doesn't add much to the power consumption, just 2-3 watts, and that's from 3.3v or 5.0v

Dual channel increases the performance in a noticeable way, and having 16 GB of memory will also increase performance quite a bit by reducing the amount of data your Windows will swap all the time to the SSD or hard drive, so the system will feel better.

ok bro, i will try and look other card thank you

32 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It looks like a knock off of a knock off

Basically.

35 minutes ago, some dude that need help said:

Itsva shit card dont buy.

Save up for a decent psu and then upgrade what you need.

This thing is pure luck that it hasnt gone wrong already.

You don't have money for a upgrade but when this goes wrong you wont have money for a pc at all

24 minutes ago, some dude that need help said:

im from indonesia 

and a 470 cost about 850k rupiah (52 us)

and im running 8x1 ram, i dont have the money to buy psu + gpu,

duitnya punya brp bang utk upgrade?

rx 570 8gb ada yg jual 650rb

untuk psu nya rex iii 700w untuk 240rb, rail 12v = 58.3a atau 700w jadinya kualitasnya setidaknya baik, saya punya psu tundra 700w 85+ yang 12v = 54a atau 648w dan berfungsi dgn baik pas pake untuk x5650 4.2ghz + rx 580 2048sp 8gb (anggap rx 570) dan seharusnya psu rex iii ini lebih tinggi kualitasnya

untuk psu micronicsnya bisa dianggap psu pure dan psu pure 450w sekitar 150rb an di tokped jdnya klo mau jual paling bisa 120rb

btw kirim foto label ramnya dan foto cip hitamnya dgn teks bisa terbaca, sy bisa cari ram yang kompatibel atau mungkin cipnya sama persis agar kompatibel

klo gatau model mobonya bisa kirim foto juga, seri p atau z bisa overclock proc non k 400mhz an tambah dengan bclk ~105

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

duitnya punya brp bang utk upgrade?

rx 570 8gb ada yg jual 650rb

untuk psu nya rex iii 700w untuk 240rb, rail 12v = 58.3a atau 700w jadinya kualitasnya setidaknya baik, saya punya psu tundra 700w 85+ yang 12v = 54a atau 648w dan berfungsi dgn baik pas pake untuk x5650 4.2ghz + rx 580 2048sp 8gb (anggap rx 570) dan seharusnya psu rex iii ini lebih tinggi kualitasnya

untuk psu micronicsnya bisa dianggap psu pure dan psu pure 450w sekitar 150rb an di tokped jdnya klo mau jual paling bisa 120rb

btw kirim foto label ramnya dan foto cip hitamnya dgn teks bisa terbaca, sy bisa cari ram yang kompatibel atau mungkin cipnya sama persis agar kompatibel

klo gatau model mobonya bisa kirim foto juga, seri p atau z bisa overclock proc non k 400mhz an tambah dengan bclk ~105

duit nya 1 jutaan 

2 minutes ago, some dude that need help said:

duit nya 1 jutaan 

klo gitu beli aja yg saya link sekitar 900rb total jdnya masih dibawah anggaran

psu nya cukup baik kualitasnya jdnya saya ga heran klo bisa pake vga seperti 6800xt (5jt an bekas) dgn psu itu

btw ada 8gb ddr3 yg dibawah 100rb seperti ini 93rb

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

klo gitu beli aja yg saya link sekitar 900rb total jdnya masih dibawah anggaran

psu nya cukup baik kualitasnya jdnya saya ga heran klo bisa pake vga seperti 6800xt (5jt an bekas) dgn psu itu

btw ada 8gb ddr3 yg dibawah 100rb seperti ini 93rb

ok gan makasih