is the samsung 990 pro a good choice?

Go to solution Solved by podkall,
9 minutes ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

also 2TB is about the best to compensate for loosing the HDD's

you don't have to sell your HDDs, you can use those for pictures and stuff,

10 minutes ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

Im not one about being the fastest but id like to have something thats atleast a Gb (if it doesnt significantly affect the loading speed of games, did I mention I play with many mods?) In reading.

mods or not, SN770 has 5150MB/s read speed in sequential, that's 5 GB every second

it also has higher durability than Samsung 980 Pro:

image.png.ce41f78307ab7a7086c3d3f6b4e2611c.png

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

The price difference is not 10-fold though. At maximum 2-fold perhaps, comparing to really low end though.

still you're spending ~20€ more for indistinguishable increase in regular tasks including gaming

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

We do get to factors outside performance. I've had suspected data loss scenarios with low end branded SSDs: WD Green and Kingston A400. SMART reported no problems, but if you try to do a surface read it often gets stuck in a similar way to a HD with bad sectors. Thus even if I need to keep pricing low, I'd aim for the mid range.

Also for gaming, as we move to DirectStorage I do feel we are past buying SATA new now. It doesn't really save you cost. I still use some 1TB SATA SSDs in my systems because I bought them a long time ago and they still work, but I don't need to replace them.

The main time you might notice a difference between a low/mid SSD to a high end one is when applying patches. Maybe initial installs. It does feel like it takes much longer on lower IOPS models, but I've never measured it. When used for OS installs, high IOPS also seems to make Windows Update run faster. However most of the time in games, you're loading and the differences there are minor.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, MiszS said:

The same gaming perfomance yeah, the only difference is that the game may load a few seconds slower

From my experience PCIe 3 vs 4 makes virtually zero difference in games. I have both in my system and notice no difference based on where a game is installed.

Load time seems usually not limited by IO, but for example decompression speed on the CPU.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply