wifi faster than ethernet?

Melon_Wolf1
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
3 hours ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

ah yea sorry missed that one, i exclusively use logitech lightspeed mice and dont percieve a difference between wired/wireless lol
Yes i have swapped the cable to a brand new cat 6 cable with no change, drivers and bios are up to date including on both the router and ISP hardware

Oh I notice it has Killer software, is that installed?  That often lives up to its name and kills the speed.

Ive got an odd problem that's not "really" a problem.
I use ATT 1000 fiber internet the hardware they gave me is a BGW320-505 and i run it in pass-through mode to a nighthawk RAX48 using a CAT6 ethernet cable. When running a speed test just on the ATT hardware via their app i get exactly the speeds i expect of 900-1000mbps with a latency of around 10ms. However when i run a speed test on the same website (which for reference I'm using the cloudflare speed test) on my pc using an ethernet cable, which is also CAT6, i only get speeds around 500mbps. But when i take that same pc and use wifi i get around 800-900mbps. I know not really a problem but its bugged me for months and i cannot figure out what is going on.

For reference my PC hardware is as follows
MOBO: ASRock B650e PG Riptide WiFi
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64gb DDR5 6000Mhz

GPU: EVGA 3080 TI 12gb

Any ideas on things to try would be appreciated, i think the main problem is i know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to actually know what I'm doing lol.

6 minutes ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

Ive got an odd problem that's not "really" a problem.
I use ATT 1000 fiber internet the hardware they gave me is a BGW320-505 and i run it in pass-through mode to a nighthawk RAX48 using a CAT6 ethernet cable. When running a speed test just on the ATT hardware via their app i get exactly the speeds i expect of 900-1000mbps with a latency of around 10ms. However when i run a speed test on the same website (which for reference I'm using the cloudflare speed test) on my pc using an ethernet cable, which is also CAT6, i only get speeds around 500mbps. But when i take that same pc and use wifi i get around 800-900mbps. I know not really a problem but its bugged me for months and i cannot figure out what is going on.

For reference my PC hardware is as follows
MOBO: ASRock B650e PG Riptide WiFi
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64gb DDR5 6000Mhz

GPU: EVGA 3080 TI 12gb

Any ideas on things to try would be appreciated, i think the main problem is i know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to actually know what I'm doing lol.

Is your Ethernet cable going straight to the router or are there maybe one or two switches in between? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

30 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is your Ethernet cable going straight to the router or are there maybe one or two switches in between? 

goes from my computer straight to the nighthawk router

1 hour ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

goes from my computer straight to the nighthawk router

I've honestly seen that happening at my grandparents house (their tech nerds :] ) the wifi being faster than Ethernet, company's are making wifi faster or something, IDK, kinda like how there's wireless mice that that have less response time than a wired one. don't take my word for it though, I may be wrong...

17 minutes ago, zombiepunk10 said:

I've honestly seen that happening at my grandparents house (their tech nerds :] ) the wifi being faster than Ethernet, company's are making wifi faster or something, IDK, kinda like how there's wireless mice that that have less response time than a wired one. don't take my word for it though, I may be wrong...

That makes no sense as wired doesn't change, Gigabit should always do Gigabit and a wireless mouse should never have better response than a wired one can have (but obviously a cheap wired mouse can be worse than a good wireless one).

This is most likely something in Windows that is treating wired differently, or a bad cable.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That makes no sense as wired doesn't change, Gigabit should always do Gigabit and a wireless mouse should never have better response than a wired one can have (but obviously a cheap wired mouse can be worse than a good wireless one).

This is most likely something in Windows that is treating wired differently, or a bad cable.

not sure if its a typo but im talking router not mouse. My wifi is faster than the ethernet cable which youre right doesnt make sense im trying to find out why

13 minutes ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

not sure if its a typo but im talking router not mouse. My wifi is faster than the ethernet cable which youre right doesnt make sense im trying to find out why

Was responding to zombiepunk10 who said there are wireless mice that are lower latency than wired.

Wired is always faster if the devices are designed optimally, as there is a whole lot that needs to be done to convert the signal into radio waves and extract the data back out of it, once its full of reflections and other interference.

Of course the difference may be so small with a good wireless mouse you can't tell.  I exclusively use wireless mice as were at the point I can't tell, but I have had stutters sometimes.

Anyway back to the point, have you tried a different cable or updating the drivers for your network adapter?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

24 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Was responding to zombiepunk10 who said there are wireless mice that are lower latency than wired.

Wired is always faster if the devices are designed optimally, as there is a whole lot that needs to be done to convert the signal into radio waves and extract the data back out of it, once its full of reflections and other interference.

Of course the difference may be so small with a good wireless mouse you can't tell.  I exclusively use wireless mice as were at the point I can't tell, but I have had stutters sometimes.

Anyway back to the point, have you tried a different cable or updating the drivers for your network adapter?

ah yea sorry missed that one, i exclusively use logitech lightspeed mice and dont percieve a difference between wired/wireless lol
Yes i have swapped the cable to a brand new cat 6 cable with no change, drivers and bios are up to date including on both the router and ISP hardware

3 hours ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

Oh I notice it has Killer software, is that installed?  That often lives up to its name and kills the speed.

12 hours ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

Yes i have swapped the cable to a brand new cat 6 cable with no change

You tried replacing both cables? One from ATT box to RAX48 and one from RAX48 to the PC?

If it isn't the cable, then something else is suboptimal. Have you built your PC yourself? Did you update Mobo drivers to the latest?

Have you tried connecting PC directly to ATT router before setting it to bridge mode?

4 hours ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

You tried replacing both cables? One from ATT box to RAX48 and one from RAX48 to the PC?

If it isn't the cable, then something else is suboptimal. Have you built your PC yourself? Did you update Mobo drivers to the latest?

Have you tried connecting PC directly to ATT router before setting it to bridge mode?

pc is built by myself bios is up to daye. All cables have been swapped for new and verified. Ive not tried connecting directly to the ATT router mainly because my WiFi speeds are as expected though thatll probably be my next step since it "could" be the ports itself on the router it is starting to be old at this point

2 minutes ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

since it "could" be the ports itself on the router it is starting to be old at this point

Doesnt work that way. Ethernet is is 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps , 1 Gbps, 2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps or 10 Gbps. Nothing in between. 4 wires are needed for at least 100 Mbps, all 8 are needed for Gigabit and above. My only guess is maybe an issue with Windows, the driver, or some other software causing an issue.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

AH there it is, i somehow haven't noticed this running for the 3 years ive had this setup. probably because its not "really" a problem lmfao. Removed the service software and kept the drivers Ethernet speed now matches wifi with 2ms better latency. thanks!!! i would have never thought to look for it because its not in my startup programs, doesn't pop up every and not in my system tray. I literally had to go through and search for the program itself its extremely well hidden.

1 hour ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

AH there it is, i somehow haven't noticed this running for the 3 years ive had this setup. probably because its not "really" a problem lmfao. Removed the service software and kept the drivers Ethernet speed now matches wifi with 2ms better latency. thanks!!! i would have never thought to look for it because its not in my startup programs, doesn't pop up every and not in my system tray. I literally had to go through and search for the program itself its extremely well hidden.

That's excellent news.

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Doesnt work that way. Ethernet is is 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps , 1 Gbps, 2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps or 10 Gbps. Nothing in between. 4 wires are needed for at least 100 Mbps, all 8 are needed for Gigabit and above. My only guess is maybe an issue with Windows, the driver, or some other software causing an issue.

I think what they were trying to say was that the ports could be wearing, not working to the full potential.

1 hour ago, zombiepunk10 said:

I think what they were trying to say was that the ports could be wearing, not working to the full potential.

It does not work that way. Electronics don't wear out and operate half way.

The only way to get partial speed is with QoS limiters which is what was true in this case but link speed are fixed rates.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: