Does a 300 mm gpu need an anti sag bracket?

remo233

Looking to buy the gigabyte rtx 4070 super oc gaming, does not come with an anti sag bracket.

Just now, remo233 said:

Looking to buy the gigabyte rtx 4070 super oc gaming, does not come with an anti sag bracket.

Pretty much subjective

If you want to prevent sag in the long run, then yes

If you don't care, then it doesn't need one.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I'd say subjectively that 3-fan is a bracket candidate. 2- or 1-fan not so much.

I edit my posts more often than not

28 minutes ago, remo233 said:

I have a MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4080. Its mahoosive and I dont use a bracket. No sag since November 2022.

32 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I have a MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4080. Its mahoosive and I dont use a bracket. No sag since November 2022.

Usually the "offender" is ASUS ROG Strix and some Gigabyte model, since they often use overly thick heatsink and/or overly long as well.

ROG Strix 4080 is around 2cm longer, 1cm wider, and at least 300-500gram heavier if spec sheet & amazon page is right.

The farthest end from PCIE slot on my ROG Strix 3080 (Jul 2022) is noticeably lower from the rest of the card, especially so after adding cables, nothing permanent yet though, it still straighten when I put the card vertically.

But yeah, I don't think a year or two gonna show noticeable [permanent] sag.

Though there was an article about gigabyte's gpu cracking near PCIE lock section due to PCB design (in which they said it has been revised, no idea if the old design still circulates)

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/gigabyte-addresses-pcb-cracking-issues-with-a-revised-design

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

37 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I think it depends on how solid the specific models design is.

For example I have the ASUS TUF GAMING 4090 OC and the whole fan bracket is metal, firmly fixed to the IO shield.  So despite its huge size, it doesn't sag.  Though I felt safer once my case was inverted as it seems even more secure with the entire back panel keeping the card rigid.

I was actually going to use the anti-sag bracket of my case, but it seemed to get in the way of the power connector which I'm honestly more concerned about stressing than sag.

The FE coolers seems to have the most solid design of them all, impossible for those to sag I think as its pretty much a solid brick.

Its the ones where the fan shroud is plastic so offer no rigidity I worry about.

I'd still be concerned if you move the PC around though, why its best to remove the GPU entirely when transporting as bumps in the road will cause stress on the PCIe connector.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, remo233 said:

You will lose nothing if you buy a really cheap anti sag and if the card is fine, then you may store it and may use it if your next GPU is sagging. But even if its not sagging you can still use it to give you assurance or peace of mind. With sag, it can damage you card like northwest repair said. 

Amazon.com: GPU Support Bracket, 4.73" GPU Support PC Graphics Card Support  GPU Stand Anti GPU Sag Bracket Video Card Anti Sag GPU Holder Mini GPU  Mount for Prevent Universal Graphics Card -

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D | Gigabyte B550M DS3H Rev 1.7 | Kingston Fury X 32GB DDR4 (2X16) 2666MHz | Gigabyte RX 6800 GAMING OC 16G |

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE | 3X Rakk Maris Pro 120mm RGB Fans | Rakk Dulus Case | Gigabyte GP-P650G 650W 80+ GOLD Certified Active PFC 

Lexar NM710 M.2 1TB NVMe SSD Gen 4 | Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA

KOORUI 24E3. 24" 1080p Gaming Monitor, 165Hz Refresh Rate, IPS Panel

57 minutes ago, foxbill86 said:

You will lose nothing if you buy a really cheap anti sag and if the card is fine, then you may store it and may use it if your next GPU is sagging. But even if its not sagging you can still use it to give you assurance or peace of mind. With sag, it can damage you card like northwest repair said. 

Amazon.com: GPU Support Bracket, 4.73" GPU Support PC Graphics Card Support  GPU Stand Anti GPU Sag Bracket Video Card Anti Sag GPU Holder Mini GPU  Mount for Prevent Universal Graphics Card -

Are you sure a bracket is needed? Have seen a number of reviewers install the card and their appears to be no sag on this card. In the video the reviewer talks about the card having a metal back plate which stops sag.

9 minutes ago, remo233 said:

Are you sure a bracket is needed? Have seen a number of reviewers install the card and their appears to be no sag on this card. In the video the reviewer talks about the card having a metal back plate which stops sag.

I really would use one. It has the same cut out in the PCB that has been causing graphics card (mostly Gigabyte, but other brands have cracked too) PCBs to crack. Gigabyte has already shown they won't warranty it. 

image.png.84924b6fbebc481d9beb389354432499.png

It's a $600 GPU. If you want to risk it over $10 or $15 then so be it. 

You asked what people here would do, and you don't seem to like what they're saying. I have a feeling that at the end of the day you won't use one, and that's okay. If it cracks, don't be surprised if Gigabyte gives you the shaft.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, foxbill86 said:

That stick in particular sucks imo. Got one with same mechanism, I prefer - https://www.deepcool.com/products/Accessories/graphiccardaccessories/2021/13758.shtml

Not because of RGB, just because of ease of mounting the mechanism.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

I really would use one. It has the same cut out in the PCB that has been causing graphics card (mostly Gigabyte, but other brands have cracked too) PCBs to crack. Gigabyte has already shown they won't warranty it. 

You asked what people here would do, and you don't seem to like what they're saying. I have a feeling that at the end of the day you won't use one, and that's okay. If it cracks, don't be surprised if Gigabyte gives you the shaft.

Thanks for this dude, no harm in using one. Just wanted some clarification. The card is also 1.79 kg which is really light? Does a heavier card mean better thermals?

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

That stick in particular sucks imo. Got one with same mechanism, I prefer - https://www.deepcool.com/products/Accessories/graphiccardaccessories/2021/13758.shtml

Not because of RGB, just because of ease of mounting the mechanism.

My son has this in his pc, works fine. I was looking at this but not sure if I will have room after installing the card.

luoshaPUCY Graphics Card GPU Bracket Support, Video Card Sag Holder Bracket Height Adjustable, Anodized Aerospace Aluminum (Black) https://amzn.eu/d/9xRokbD

This is an older picture. I recently added a modular 850 gold psu, there is no room between the psuband hard drive enclosure.

Screenshot_20240413_190542_WhatsApp.jpg

4 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Would also recommend watching this video. You need to examine the build of your card and check if their is sag.

19 minutes ago, remo233 said:

Would also recommend watching this video. You need to examine the build of your card and check if their is sag.

That video doesn't change my opinion. 

Gigabyte fixed their PCB for 4080 and 4090 models. Not the 4070/S. 

Gigabyte strengthens RTX 40 board design amid PCB cracking issues - VideoCardz.com

In the case of the 4070 Super, it's the same shit PCB design as they used on a lot of 30 series that I was complaining about here for ~8 months before it made news. Gigabyte then decided to completely void warranty for cracked PCBs. 

The card you are looking at is still; a triple slot cooler, made by the company that was having the most problems with cracked PCBs, made by the company that's shown it won't honor their warranty for cracked PCBs, and a $600 investment.

Not spending the couple dollars to help the PCB and keep the card from potentially breaking is just asinine to me. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

17 hours ago, remo233 said:

Firstly, when talking about "sag" some people think only of the unlevelness of the GPU after being installed (brand new). Jayztwocent is probably one of them (seen that video of his long time ago).

To me, Jayz solution is kinda more to... giving illusion that the GPU won't sag at all, it makes it look even yes, but it's not gonna stop gravity from pulling down the card, especially on areas far from support points.

While some other (me for example) talk about the permanent curving of the GPU PCB  after a long time has passed.

Anyway, both are basically the result of gravity & weight of the heatsink, and on some examples, design as well.

Me, considering how chonky nowadays GPUs are, I'd rather not risk it. At the very least it keeps my mind off of the fear of cracked PCB.

Especially so if the card I am using has been numerously reported of that kinda fault.

But, you do you. As I said, if you don't care, then it doesn't need one.

image.png.75874079ed78073fa2f8236f2250feab.png

Might be an interesting vid

Refresh before you reply

36 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That video doesn't change my opinion. 

Gigabyte fixed their PCB for 4080 and 4090 models. Not the 4070/S. 

Gigabyte strengthens RTX 40 board design amid PCB cracking issues - VideoCardz.com

In the case of the 4070 Super, it's the same shit PCB design as they used on a lot of 30 series that I was complaining about here for ~8 months before it made news. Gigabyte then decided to completely void warranty for cracked PCBs. 

The card you are looking at is still; a triple slot cooler, made by the company that was having the most problems with cracked PCBs, made by the company that's shown it won't honor their warranty for cracked PCBs, and a $600 investment.

Not spending the couple dollars to help the PCB and keep the card from potentially breaking is just asinine to me. 

I am going to order a couple of different types gpu supports. Did you see the picture of my pc in the above response?

28 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Firstly, when talking about "sag" some people think only of the unlevelness of the GPU after being installed (brand new). Jayztwocent is probably one of them.

While some other (me for example) talk about the permanent curving of the GPU PCB  after a long time has passed.

Anyway, both are basically the result of gravity & weight of the heatsink.

Me, considering how chonky nowadays GPUs are, I'd rather not risk it. At the very least it keeps my mind off of the fear of cracked PCB.

Especially so if the card I am using has been numerously reported of that kinda fault.

But, you do you. As I said, if you don't care, then it doesn't need one.

image.png.75874079ed78073fa2f8236f2250feab.png

Might be an interesting vid

I am going to order a couple of different types of gpu support? Did you see the picture of my pc?

1 minute ago, remo233 said:

Did you see the picture of my pc?

What of it ?

Refresh before you reply

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

What of it ?

Do you see any issue with a bracket fitting as I have changed thr power supply and there is no room brtween the power supply and hard drive caddy.

4 minutes ago, remo233 said:

Do you see any issue with a bracket fitting as I have changed thr power supply and there is no room brtween the power supply and hard drive caddy.

You can get short ones that would sit on top of the caddy.

Amazon.com: AVERZELLA Graphics Card GPU Mini Brace Support, Video Card Sag Holder Bracket, GPU Stand, Universal VGA Graphics Card Holder : Electronics

Got a 3d printer? You can make one any height you want.

GPU anti sag support holder (reduced height) by what_is_that - Thingiverse

GPU anti sag support holder by nessuno0505 - Thingiverse

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 minutes ago, remo233 said:

Hmm? I put my support on the HDD caddy 😛

image.png.4f3d99d578385b3f1568ce4e86dbf1f6.png

That looks a lot like mine.

Also have used one like the one you linked in the past.

Yeah, it was also put on top of HDD caddy

I also have this, which is adjustable and affix to the top and bottom of the case.

Sag2.jpeg.53011d2dcf709b76e1c85bea0cbe1a57.jpeg

Hell... you can use anything hard and not easily melt that has the height you need. Lego, rock, etc

Most secure one in my collection is the pole (3rd pic), but its really ugly when looked at & kinda troublesome if you go into your PC often.

2nd is the one that looks like what you linked.

the tiny pole one (first pic) is a newly bought, and I'm trying out. 😛

Refresh before you reply

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Dont have a 3d printer. Do you have a uk link to the holder?

3 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Hmm? I put my support on the HDD caddy 😛

image.png.4f3d99d578385b3f1568ce4e86dbf1f6.png

That looks a lot like mine.

Also have used one like the one you linked in the past.

I also have this, which is adjustable and affix to the top and bottom of the case.

Sag2.jpeg.53011d2dcf709b76e1c85bea0cbe1a57.jpeg

Ok so should work on the hd caddy. I will order both types and see which one fits best. Thanks for your help dude.

7 minutes ago, remo233 said:

Dont have a 3d printer. Do you have a uk link to the holder?

I change the ".com" to ".co.uk" in the URL and it brought up the same product.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 minutes ago, remo233 said:

Ok so should work on the hd caddy. I will order both types and see which one fits best. Thanks for your help dude.

Alternatively, you can use a vertical GPU mounting and mount the GPU vertically.

Temp gonna take a hit, but most likely won't be a lot.

Although there's probably only 1 vertical bracket suitable for your case (less than 7 back slot), unless we are counting chinese ones that just sit on top of PSU.

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/accessories/vertical-gpu-holder-kit-v3/

But yeh, check and research first before buying to make sure it really fits your case and all.

Thermal test vertical gpu bracket:

Different brand and model, but pretty much same idea

Refresh before you reply