Careful when handling a PSU

Foxxer

Long story short, a friend of mine wanted to upgrade / mod his PSU by adding couple of LED and basically a better fan, the PSU was running for the past weeks. So he started disassembling the case and I told him to wait for it to discharge by itself. That idiot didn't listen and he said by shorting the capacitors your off the hook, what happened next wasn't funny, seconds later all I saw after the screwdriver fell off, a huge blue arc that hits the wall and splits into two and fades, and lots of smoke, this happened so fast we couldn't react lol. He got away this time, now all of you fellas out there please be cautious. Take your time and don't rush. Feels bad to see a nice PSU going away.  :(

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I thought he was going to get electrocuted. Too bad.

I wish he did, so he learns from his stupidity. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

it takes like 3s for your computer to drain the PSU after you flip the switch.. and maybe a few more to make sure there isnt even a little left... wow..

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Scarry story. I know that a PSU can hold a charge for several years, so i would suggest just leaving them as they are.

it takes like 3s for your computer to drain the PSU after you flip the switch.. and maybe a few more to make sure there isnt even a little left... wow..

I learnt it the hard way, I was changing my A/C unit running capacitor it was abit dark, and flop. I got shocked. My bones felt weak specially the joints and my whole arm was numb for 15 minutes. 

Scarry story. I know that a PSU can hold a charge for several years, so i would suggest just leaving them as they are.

3s = several years?

3s = several years?

maybe if you power it without having it plugged into anything, otherwise you will see the LED's on your mobo go out after a few s

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Please, take caution whenever dealing with AC electronics, just because they're unplugged, does not mean they do not still have power in them: http://www.today.com/tech/teen-electrocuted-while-taking-apart-unplugged-computer-1C6365434?franchiseSlug=todaytechmain

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

IT'S A SIGN!! THE END IS NEAR!!! :blink:

on the otherhand, glad to know no one got hurt. when you said huge, how huge? i mean put something for scale as for how big it was? :mellow:

Details separate people.

IT'S A SIGN!! THE END IS NEAR!!! :blink:

on the otherhand, glad to know no one got hurt. when you said huge, how huge? i mean put something for scale as for how big it was? :mellow:

Roughly around a finger. It was so fast and blue-ish lol Might be smaller but the speed it traveled made it longer I guess.

What I would normally do after powering down my PC and turning off the power supply is to hit the pc on button several times until I feel satisfied that the power supply has been properly discharged.

I regularly clean my PSU's, you must drain the PSU with components still plugged in, switch the unit off if it has a switch, also remove power lead, turn the PC on.

Touch your PC case and you are good to go, you should never have to touch the internals of a power supply!

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Long story short, a friend of mine wanted to upgrade / mod his PSU by adding couple of LED and basically a better fan, the PSU was running for the past weeks. So he started disassembling the case and I told him to wait for it to discharge by itself. That idiot didn't listen and he said by shorting the capacitors your off the hook, what happened next wasn't funny, seconds later all I saw after the screwdriver fell off, a huge blue arc that hits the wall and splits into two and fades, and lots of smoke, this happened so fast we couldn't react lol. He got away this time, now all of you fellas out there please be cautious. Take your time and don't rush. Feels bad to see a nice PSU going away.  :(

and thats how inFamous started...

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Lol reminds me of when I made a taser out of a few disposable cameras following a guide from a BBS. That shit used to shock so hard it cut your skin open... Why would you start opening a psu without even earthing it?

The lesson to be had here is the following: either mod your psu when it's brand new and you never plugged it in, or don't try. there's no reason to risk electrocution for a couple of fancy lights.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

never, ever modify or just open a psu. Just dont do it! unless you want to be dead.... Like linus said: ´A PSU is some serious business´

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

I always ground myself, and I'm also careful when handling any components of a PC. 

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X (overclocked to 4.1Ghz) Cooling: Corsair H110i GT(Push-Pull config) Motherboard: Gigabyte's Aorus AX370 AM4 K7 RAM: G.SKILL 2800Mhz 32GB GPU:  GEFORCE GTX 1080 (SLI) from Gigabyte Storage: Kingston 3K 240GB (main boot drive) Crucial M500 SSD, WD 2TB Green, 100GB HD(As backup) PSU: Sseasonic X Series 850W Gold

maybe if you power it without having it plugged into anything, otherwise you will see the LED's on your mobo go out after a few s

Just because the lights go out doesn't mean the parts aren't still holding a charge.

This is why electricity scares me even though I work with computers all the time. I would never open a PSU even if I knew that the caps had discharged.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I did it once and i will never do it again.

It was a brand new psu 450 watt from idk. I wanted to change the fan because it was too loud so I did it and it worked.

but..

after 10 seconds the whole pc just turns off and nothing is happening. I opened the side panel and.....

FIRE (just a small flame, my house wasnt on fire)

That moment I unplugged all the cables and I blew it out. After that I took the PSU out my pc and placed it outside my house in a big shopping bagg.

I was so scared I didnt touched anything of my pc for a month. 

Just warn you guys, dont fuck around with it.

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

I modify power supplies all of the time. It's perfectly ok to do. You just need to be careful and know what you are doing exactly what you are doing. This isn't something you learn by doing, nor is it something for the average PC builder. It's seriously dangerous if you are not prepared. Serious research is needed before you think of taking  a tool to a power supply. 

Not only should you be grounded and insulated, you need a dead man's switch. I have a petal that I have to hold down to allow power through. When I test a power supply after doing something to it, I don't have to touch it to turn it off, just lift my foot.  Even if it is something that is simply as replacing a fan, you could have shorted something somehow.

Also keep in mind that a lot of PSUs have a minimum load- jumping them without a connected device can cause problems. Namely fire. Not all power supplies are like this but a lot still are.  Always research the minimum load of your power supply before jumping it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

never, ever modify or just open a psu. Just dont do it! unless you want to be dead.... Like linus said: ´A PSU is some serious business´

Well that's bullshit.

Of course you can mod a psu, I assume he said that so that people don't go opening their psu while it's plugged in, licking a capacitor or something. The stupidity of some people should never be underestimated and as such it's easier to tell people who were previously not thinking about modding their psu to not try it anyway.

Just keep a clamp tester and a multimeter handy and make sure you've earthed it and unplugged it first and then if you're confident in what you're doing you can have a go at modding it. Plenty of people replace their psu fans with better quality alternatives, it's just easier to not encourage others to do so because eventually someone will do something stupid and try to blame someone else.