Consumer W - ISP's must display their pricing correctly!

Summary

As of April 10th, 2024, an FCC Ruling has been put in effect that ISP's must show accurate pricing, speeds, and data caps displayed like food labels on a cereal box. (Shown in the spoiler box below)

Spoiler

A sample consumer label for home Internet service.

Quotes

"Today's nationwide launch of the Broadband Consumer Labels means internet service providers are now required to display consumer-friendly labels at the point of sale," the Federal Communications Commission said. "Labels are required for all standalone home or fixed Internet service or mobile broadband plans. Providers must display the label—not simply an icon or link to the label—in close proximity to an associated plan's advertisement."

"The labels are required now for providers with at least 100,000 subscribers, while ISPs with fewer customers have until October 10, 2024, to comply. "If a provider is not displaying their labels or has posted inaccurate information about its fees or service plans, consumers can file a complaint with the FCC Consumer Complaint Center," an agency webpage says."

My thoughts

This is a huge win for consumer rights. Companies should never have been able to hide pricing for anything and hopefully these labels will minimize hidden fee's. This has been a long time coming with the original plan made in 2022 and I'm glad it is finally implemented. 

I also want to add that the fact that they need to display these like a food label is also just slightly hilarious.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/04/starting-today-isps-must-display-labels-with-price-speeds-and-data-caps/

https://www.pcmag.com/news/major-isps-required-to-display-nutrition-fact-labels-for-broadband-starting

Edited by BrandonTech.05
Added Context

I'm usually as lost as you are

2 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Guessing this is only in the USA so far?

“nationwide” “FCC”

4 minutes ago, BrandonTech.05 said:

an FCC Ruling has been put in effect that ISP's must show accurate pricing, speeds, and data caps like food labels on a cereal box.

Just a note, as of now it’s only ISPs with more than 100,000 customers. My ISP still doesn’t have to have any speed information on their site. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Guessing this is only in the USA so far?

I can't speak for other countries and what their policy is. This is a US FCC filing 

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

“nationwide” “FCC”

Just a note, as of now it’s only ISPs with more than 100,000 customers. My ISP still doesn’t have to have any speed information on their site. 

I added that in as a quote. Thanks!

Damn, guess the UK has to wait a little longer for blessings like this

can't wait to eat some gigabits

34 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

well that's a first

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

If IPSs want to act like children and just keep lying about the services they offer, lets treat them as such and make them do this ridiculous thing.

They've been allowed for way too long to get away with their shady practices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Actually although the way they can display the information is less strict, the UK has very similar laws in pricing and service information 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I couldnt get a picture of the label because of how it was displayed on their site, But this is the information that is supplied by Xfinity (Comcast). This is the for the 150 Mbps Down 20 Mbps up service tier.

BBF.PNG.de0d7e38347f65f44ddfa8f1f470915d.PNG

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I couldnt get a picture of the label because of how it was displayed on their site, But this is the information that is supplied by Xfinity (Comcast). This is the for the 150 Mbps Down 20 Mbps up service tier.

BBF.PNG.de0d7e38347f65f44ddfa8f1f470915d.PNG

20ms latency is actually terrible, but also kinda typical for cable. 6ms or better is what you should expect from Fiber unless you live in the boonies or are trying to connect to websites on the other side of the country/planet.

image.png.86e23b50d05a8b04ef58f2289d77f6df.png

Telus Optik, which is GPON, I'm paying for 1.5Gbit, but none of my devices are 2.5Gbit. I know I am able to hit the 1.5Gbit speeds if I have two devices do speed test at the same time though.

But this is one of those cases where those kinds of "nutrition labels" should be present, because even though you might be paying for 1 .5Gbit connection, you need hardware with 2.5Gbit or 10Gbit connected directly to the Fiber box's 10Gbit port. Connecting to the other ports only get 1Gbit. It might be fine to connect the TV STB/SmartTV boxes to those ports.

Also, it's a bit of a scam to be paying separate fees to "rent" the cable modem. They want people to buy it, but also the technology changes so frequently that if you had to buy it every time they changed stuff on the headend you'd be paying a lot more money. With the Fiber, you just change the SFP+ if they change the technology. I could have even used my older DSL modem which had a SFP port on it.

59 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Also, it's a bit of a scam to be paying separate fees to "rent" the cable modem. They want people to buy it, but also the technology changes so frequently that if you had to buy it every time they changed stuff on the headend you'd be paying a lot more money. With the Fiber, you just change the SFP+ if they change the technology. I could have even used my older DSL modem which had a SFP port on it.

For residential connections in the UK they can't charge you rent or to own the hardware, they can however charge a "bond" which is repayable when you return the equipment. 

If you have a business connection then they can charge you for the hardware. (Also if they offer multiple hardware options, such as a base model and then a higher end model (think mesh network) they can either offer to sell it to you as an optional extra or rent that extra hardware to you. In practice renting is rarely done any they either sell it to you or give it to you on the bond model as the base hardware but at higher bond. The base model is legally required to be able to operate at the rated speed of the connection no matter what) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

it already been shown this week.

layer are wiggle rooming context in parts of the label.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

lso, it's a bit of a scam to be paying separate fees to "rent" the cable modem. They want people to buy it,

Actually if the FCC didnt put a rule in place that customer owned equipment was to be supported by cable companies, we wouldn't be able to own our own modems and still will be paying a rental fee. The rental fee is just a way for them to make money. Same as the "Unlimited" data option. Comcast is actually one of the better ISP's to support customer owned modems as they provide a list of retail modems that will work. Some providers it like pulling teeth, as they wont provide any support or information what so ever, and sometimes you have to resort to an FCC complaint to make things work.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I wish this was also enforced in my country. All ISP's just furiously advertising their "promo" prices that last for 1 year or so and then you're up to regular prices. It's super annoying when you're trying to change providers and you want to actually know how much you'll be paying the rest of the time.