PS or UPS issue

Hello guys,

Here is my situation, in my pc i connected a thermaltake PS (toughpower irgb plus 850w), i got a new UPS because where i live we always get the electricity to shut down. The UPS i got is (m8-2500) with a capacity of 1200w. When the electricity from the grid goes off, the pc restarts and the UPS starts making clicky noises constantly. So what cloud be the issue ?

Pls advise ? Any help would be appreciated. 

I tried the UPS on another smaller pc, it works fine.

Pc specs

Cpu intel i7 12700K

Ram 32 gb ddr4

Evga rtx 3090 ftw3

Mb asus z690

I think the clicking of UPS is the power switching over to battery. The idea of a UPS is to turn your computer off before the battery backup runs out to preserve integrity of pc and files.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

18 minutes ago, call me al said:

Hello guys,

Here is my situation, in my pc i connected a thermaltake PS (toughpower irgb plus 850w), i got a new UPS because where i live we always get the electricity to shut down. The UPS i got is (m8-2500) with a capacity of 1200w. When the electricity from the grid goes off, the pc restarts and the UPS starts making clicky noises constantly. So what cloud be the issue ?

Pls advise ? Any help would be appreciated. 

I tried the UPS on another smaller pc, it works fine.

Pc specs

Cpu intel i7 12700K

Ram 32 gb ddr4

Evga rtx 3090 ftw3

Mb asus z690

Your Power Supply is Active PFC and the UPS uses a simulated sine wave. Not sure if thats the issue but I do recall when buying my first UPS, the research I did then did say you needed a UPS that had a proper sine wave with a Active PFC PSU. That might be your issue.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

you're using a simulated sine wave UPS that's got a way higher capacity rating than it deserves for the batteries that are in it, on a pc that depending on what exactly it is doing at the time might actually come close to maxing out it's power supply...

also, i just love this line on their product page...

Best Suited for: Banking, financial and insurance, data center, education, healthcare, government.

"best suited for people with money. who? all people with money".

oh.. and right above this blurb claiming it's ideal for all these high budget environments, they say this:

The M8 Series is the best solution for different applications: home/office PCs, gaming workstations, multimedia, LCD monitors & more.

you, my friend, most likely got an absolutely dog shyte UPS that cant reliably supply half the power it is rated at.

17 hours ago, manikyath said:

you're using a simulated sine wave UPS that's got a way higher capacity rating than it deserves for the batteries that are in it, on a pc that depending on what exactly it is doing at the time might actually come close to maxing out it's power supply...

also, i just love this line on their product page...

"best suited for people with money. who? all people with money".

oh.. and right above this blurb claiming it's ideal for all these high budget environments, they say this:

you, my friend, most likely got an absolutely dog shyte UPS that cant reliably supply half the power it is rated at.

I see, guess i should have researched more about the ups.

Anw thx for the info

M8-2500? who manufactures that? sounds super sketchy.

And is it 1200W or 1200VA? it's not the same, gotta thank the laws of thermodynamics for that one.

IF it's 1200VA that'd give you a liiittle bit over 600 watts of usable power, that if the manufacturer didn't lie.

Active PFC might cause issues.

The clicky noises are often relays, simple UPS work using mechanical relays to switch from mains to the inverter circuit, but they should only click once and not constantly. If the clicking stops when you unplug the UPS it means there's still some voltage present in the line that's causing it to try to return to the mains.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

And is it 1200W or 1200VA? it's not the same, gotta thank the laws of thermodynamics for that one.

it's 1200W (2500VA), but that figure is very questionable.

with the batteries that are in it, assuming high quality brand new cells with zero wear, you'd get at most 5 minutes runtime assuming 100% efficiency.

realisticly, a 1200W or higher category unit should go at least 48 volts on the battery, just to not wreck the battery each time it has to kick in. thermodynamics is great.. 1200W out of the best cells i'm aware of, this unit is dissipating at least 60 watts in the battery just from internal resistance at max power. (that's again a very low estimate)

(EDIT: should add, it's a 24V 9Ah battery)

16 hours ago, manikyath said:

it's 1200W (2500VA), but that figure is very questionable.

with the batteries that are in it, assuming high quality brand new cells with zero wear, you'd get at most 5 minutes runtime assuming 100% efficiency.

realisticly, a 1200W or higher category unit should go at least 48 volts on the battery, just to not wreck the battery each time it has to kick in. thermodynamics is great.. 1200W out of the best cells i'm aware of, this unit is dissipating at least 60 watts in the battery just from internal resistance at max power. (that's again a very low estimate)

(EDIT: should add, it's a 24V 9Ah battery)

9Ah is just sad.

Since it's noname I'd really doubt it's actually 1200 watts. Won't pass the heater test

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

9Ah is just sad.

Since it's noname I'd really doubt it's actually 1200 watts. Won't pass the heater test

i mean.. technically 9Ah is above average, because most UPS'es prefer to put more batteries in series instead of more in parallel, but it's at 24 volts, which means that if OP is pulling 1200 watts (assuming zero losses) it's still pulling 50A from those batteries, and lead-acid's capacity goes down exponentially when current goes up.