Horrible ping! Would new/different switches help?

Go to solution Solved by johnt,

What keyboard did you get, and are you certain they are Cherry MX switches or are they Chinese fakes? Spring ping is going to be very pronounced in a metal keyboard. I normally use paste lube (like 205g) and dip both ends of the spring into the container. I mean a tiny, tiny amount at end each end. This has completely resolved all spring ping for me. I do not recommend using a liquid lube for springs even though that seems to be the recommendation from every dumb ass tuber.

Context: So I got myself a mechanical keyboard (Kinesis Edge, modded to make it hot swappable)  with cherry MX browns and, while I love the feel and sound, there is absolutely horrible spring ping and I've tried everything from foam to a desk pad to lubing the switches and nothing seems to work. It is driving me nuts! I think I've isolated it to the springs in the switches when I release the key. ("Ping" is the correct term here, right?). I have read every article and post I can find and tried everything that was recommended. 

The keyboard is hot swappable, so I was wondering: would simply getting different switches be a potential solution? If so, any recommendations for something similar to a cherry MX brown? 

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Your topic title is pretty misleading. Sounds like you're asking about network switches and ping. You should probably put "mechanical keyboard" and "noise" in there. Right now you'll get the wrong people looking at your topic.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

With just the information you provided. You might want to look at switches with lower actuation points or force needed to press the the key, like silver switches(from anybrand). You can also check the keyboard driver or app(if there's any for your keyboard) or even try other usb ports and cable. 

What keyboard did you get, and are you certain they are Cherry MX switches or are they Chinese fakes? Spring ping is going to be very pronounced in a metal keyboard. I normally use paste lube (like 205g) and dip both ends of the spring into the container. I mean a tiny, tiny amount at end each end. This has completely resolved all spring ping for me. I do not recommend using a liquid lube for springs even though that seems to be the recommendation from every dumb ass tuber.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Your topic title is pretty misleading. Sounds like you're asking about network switches and ping. You should probably put "mechanical keyboard" and "noise" in there. Right now you'll get the wrong people looking at your topic.

• so anyways you should first try setting your DNS server to Google or Cloudflare
  • restarting WiFi router can also help

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

What keyboard is this? If it is a metal one, like for example a Keychron Q1 or Q2, it might also be ping from the case itself. In which case you should look up the forcebreak or forcebrake mod (not sure which one would be correct here).

However, given how you describe it as occurring mostly on release, spring ping from the switches is also an option. In that case lubing the springs is usually the recommended way, or outright replacing all of them with something else.

13 hours ago, johnt said:

I got the Kinesis Edge with Cherry MX Browns. The website says "Genuine Cherry MX Switches," so I'm inclined to believe that they're not fake. I had the keyboard modded to make it hot swappable.

@GarlicDeliverySystem I'll check out the forcebreak mod. If I were to just replace the switches, any recommendations?

@kitnoman I'll investigate Silvers. Thanks!

@Eigenvektor I didn't think it was necessary since I was posting in "Peripherals" rather than "Networking," But I did add a "mechanical keyboard" tag to the post.

@podkall That worked! Amazing! 😉

2 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

podkall That worked! Amazing! 😉

I know, I am always helpful with stuff

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

On 3/27/2024 at 12:21 AM, johnt said:

I used a light amount of liquid lube using the "bag lube" method and then dipped the ends in 205g like you recommended. It seems to have sorted it out.

10 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I used a light amount of liquid lube using the "bag lube" method and then dipped the ends in 205g like you recommended. It seems to have sorted it out.

Nice! I'm glad you tried it. The paste lube at the ends helps dampen the transmission of noise during the rebound. I hated that spring ping too when I bought my first metal board. I was sooo disappointed. But lubing made a huge difference.

4 minutes ago, johnt said:

Nice! I'm glad you tried it. The paste lube at the ends helps dampen the transmission of noise during the rebound. I hated that spring ping too when I bought my first metal board. I was sooo disappointed. But lubing made a huge difference.

This is the keyboard I use, but I had it modded to allow the switches to be hot swappable. Doubled the total cost of the keyboard, but totally worth it. None of the other split or ergo boards appealed to me, particularly as I'd been using the membrane version of this for the last seven years.

Edge-RGB-wide-MX-Brown2.png

That thing looks huge. But if it's more comfortable then totally worth it.