PSU Popped while the PC was in sleep mode; how do I prove it's not functional for RMA?

Harman83

As the title says. I need to RMA the PSU with Deepcool (it's a DQ-750M-V2L). It popped with a loud bang and a lot of smoke came out of it; it still has a burnt odor on it. How do I prove that to Deepcool though? They have asked for proof and I don't have a multimeter or a PSU tester; nor do I want to plug it back into my PC. I can't see anything wrong on the surface either; maybe you can?

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

What's that crap ? Screw them, bang and smoke are enough, don't ever use it again

Checking if it works or not is their turf not yours

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Show them the 1st photo? I mean, it's clearly visible it's busted. 

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

What are you seeing that is clearly busted? Am I missing something?

You do not need to prove anything.  They accept the RMA submission, you send it in, they test it and then refund you or send another unit if they see it's not working.  If they find nothing wrong, they send it back on your dime.

You do NOT in any circumstances try to use a suspected busted PSU on your stuff.  Ever.

Deepcool gets a big "Fuck you" for this if they indeed asked you to send proof. Hoping there is a misunderstanding here.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

21 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

You do not need to prove anything.  They accept the RMA submission, you send it in, they test it and then refund you or send another unit if they see it's not working.  If they find nothing wrong, they send it back on your dime.

You do NOT in any circumstances try to use a suspected busted PSU on your stuff.  Ever.

Deepcool gets a big "Fuck you" for this if they indeed asked you to send proof. Hoping there is a misunderstanding here.

Here's a screenshot with the e-mail. I mean maybe I can't read, but in my understanding they want proof. I doubt they'll ask me to send it in though, I had a great experience with Solidigm and G-Skill where I did have to send it in, but that was an SSD and some RAM. Sending in a 5kg PSU would cost more than the PSU itself lol

Screenshot_1803.png

54 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I can't see anything wrong there but hey I'm not an expert. Here are 2 more photos of that area, but the smell surely seems to be coming from there.IMG_4377.thumb.JPG.7e2853cd4582d191a0f9cd868ea2b3c9.JPG

IMG_4378.JPG

yeah no, that agent is not providing correct support. like others have said, they should be asking you to send it in. Generally they would even provide the shipping label.

I'd recommend not beating around the bush and just ask them straight out if you can get a shipping label or address to send it in for the RMA review process.

50 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

What are you seeing that is clearly busted? Am I missing something?

My guess was that copper wire that had gone black. I have absolutely no clue how electronics work but it surely doesn't seem like what a copper wire should look like to me. Not sure though.

ZOOMED_IMG_4352.png

I'm kinda curious as to what "Louise" will say if you:

Ask her to give you clear instruction on how do you, an average user, supposed to test a faulty and possibly a housefire maker PSU safely, when the component that allegedly broken is inside the PSU. Or even take a pic of the broken component while keeping in mind that depending on where you live, anything that require you to open up the PSU may result in you losing your warranty.

Not to mention that PSU is filled with caps that may electrocute someone if they don't know what they're doing.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Harman83 said:

My guess was that copper wire that had gone black. I have absolutely no clue how electronics work but it surely doesn't seem like what a copper wire should look like to me. Not sure though.

ZOOMED_IMG_4352.png

Thats the black plastic wrap on the coils, though does look like it could have melted some

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

3 minutes ago, Brando212 said:

yeah no, that agent is not providing correct support. like others have said, they should be asking you to send it in. Generally they would even provide the shipping label.

I'd recommend not beating around the bush and just ask them straight out if you can get a shipping label or address to send it in for the RMA review process.

Can't blame that guy, he's probably an outsourced Indian tech support guy who doesn't have a clue how a PSU works. Solidigm sent a courier to my address to pick up my SSD when I had to RMA with them, so that's certainly my best RMA experience ever. But I doubt Deepcool will do that. Saw others' experience with them and they just send a replacement without asking you to send it in. I mean, shipping costs for that 9 lb / 4 kg box with the PSU are probably higher than what the PSU is worth. I sent them the photos and I'm now waiting for a reply, maybe they can see anything wrong.

get your RMA if they heck you over tho never buy there stuff again dont recommend them

this LTT from post alone done more damage to there rep they they gain from not RMA your PSU

seeing that employees of one biggest tech media often are around

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

1 minute ago, NadiaMayer said:

get your RMA if they heck you over tho never buy there stuff again dont recommend them

this LTT from post alone done more damage to there rep they they gain from not RMA your PSU

seeing that employees of one biggest tech media often are around

Their fans and coolers are fine for the most part, never getting a Deepcool PSU ever again though. It was a B-tier unit so I thought I'd give it a shot but if I get the RMA I'm selling it and getting a Seasonic Focus GX lol

7 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I'm kinda curious as to what "Louise" will say if you:

Ask her to give you clear instruction on how do you, an average user, supposed to test a faulty and possibly a housefire maker PSU safely, when the component that allegedly broken is inside the PSU.

Keeping in mind that depending on where you live, anything that require you to open up the PSU may result in you losing your warranty.

Not to mention that PSU is filled with caps that may electrocute someone if they don't know what they're doing.

I'm in Europe and as far as I know, the warranty void if removed stickers are not enforceable in my country (but I feel like it'll be a pain in the ass to deal with deepcool if I remove them). I won't bother with disassembling it anyway, I'm not an engineer, and most repairs I've done consisted of soldering something to a board at most. Getting electrocuted is not something I'm eager to do 

I thought there's hole in the cap but from the other images it's just a black dot... Sorry

19 minutes ago, Harman83 said:

I'm in Europe and as far as I know, the warranty void if removed stickers are not enforceable in my country (but I feel like it'll be a pain in the ass to deal with deepcool if I remove them). I won't bother with disassembling it anyway, I'm not an engineer, and most repairs I've done consisted of soldering something to a board at most. Getting electrocuted is not something I'm eager to do 

I would discourage you from doing it anyway.

Just putting that line there in my previous post to remind you of it if "Louise" ever tell you to do so.

And to remind "Louise" of what kind of danger you (the user) gonna be exposed to if you happen to reply the email with what I was curious about.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I thought there's hole in the cap but from the other images it's just a black dot... Sorry

You made my curiosity kicked in and scoured the pic for like 5 minutes while putting my face very close to monitor.

BAD CAT!! *Spank*

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

No problem lol, I'm so happy that it didn't kill half my PC right now. Looks like I found the issue though, quote:

"that black thing is an inductor and it for sure has gone pop

its meant to have wire coiled all the way around the magnet

its failed dramatically"

IMG_4352.thumb.JPG.edd9c0d285d9d75f4761bf65e326948f.JPG

36 minutes ago, Harman83 said:

Their fans and coolers are fine for the most part, never getting a Deepcool PSU ever again though. It was a B-tier unit so I thought I'd give it a shot but if I get the RMA I'm selling it and getting a Seasonic Focus GX lol

With just a one-off issue (I haven't read any other issues like the gigabyte psu's) I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. These are complex units with many components inside.

If there was a wave of reports of these popping, then I'd boycott.

10 minutes ago, Harman83 said:

No problem lol, I'm so happy that it didn't kill half my PC right now. Looks like I found the issue though, quote:

"that black thing is an inductor and it for sure has gone pop

its meant to have wire coiled all the way around the magnet

its failed dramatically"

No, that is how it should look. Not all inductors are fully wound.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gamerstorm-dq-m-v2l-850w-power-supply-review

The teardown has pretty clear pictures.

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

With just a one-off issue (I haven't read any other issues like the gigabyte psu's) I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. These are complex units with many components inside.

If there was a wave of reports of these popping, then I'd boycott.

It looks like this is a pretty popular PSU over in russia. Out of 3.8k reviews, it has a 4.8/5* and everyone looks pretty happy with it, it even has an "excellent reliability" mark on that site. There are 2/72 reviews about it popping on Newegg (where I bought it from), but other than that it's a pretty well-regarded PSU. Hopefully, I just got unlucky. Its MSRP is $104.99 on Newegg though, so a SeaSonic Focus GX would be $5 cheaper and I don't see a reason not to go with it though. 

Screenshot_1805.thumb.png.418838fdc04c65065d0b834d443881d9.png

15 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

No, that is how it should look. Not all inductors are fully wound.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gamerstorm-dq-m-v2l-850w-power-supply-review

The teardown has pretty clear pictures.

On the lower side of that coil, there are wires that are just hanging almost like cut in half. There's an identical coil right next to it and it looks completely different, all the wires are coiled around that black thing, unlike the one here. Still, I'm not an expert, so idk.

It's really hard to picture it on camera. The left side seems at least somewhat fine, but the right side, and especially the lower half of it looks really messed up to me.

IMG_4382.JPG

There is no need to send proof. Just file a RMA and send it in for a replacement. The person who told you to send proof wants you to open it, so it voids your warranty, but most importantly you can seriously hurt yourself

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list