Synology NAS RAID 10 question

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

it's generally not recommended to mix different drive models in one RAID array, because even if the specs on paper are the same, they may have very different write behavior.

besides that, any reason why you dont use RAID6? that would let any two drives in the array conk out rather than just 'singles out of a pair'.

commentary aside, i found this bit on synology's website:

Synology RAID 10 uses the "Near" structure. RAID 1 array consists of two adjacent drives, and these RAID 1 arrays are combined into RAID 0.

so they'd make a RAID1 out of bay 1+2, and another RAID1 out of 3+4, and then stripe 12 + 34.

Hey LTT NAS enthusiasts. I'm considering purchasing a Synology NAS to set up RAID 10. Is there a way to specify in their software which drives RAID 1 mirrors and which ones RAID 0 stripes? Long story short, I have 6 drives, 3 from WD and 3 from Seagate, same capacity & specs . I want to ensure that mirror drives in a set aren't from the same vendor. If such a thing isn't possible via software, would alternating them while inserting into the bay do the trick? I'm a little worried that Synology might randomly pick drives for mirroring, and I'd end up with 2 drives from the same vendor purchased from the same batch, increasing the likelihood of 2 drive failure and RAID 10 non-recoverability. Apologies if someone has already answered this. I've searched for this info in various forums and the Synology manual but couldn't find an answer.. Thank you

it's generally not recommended to mix different drive models in one RAID array, because even if the specs on paper are the same, they may have very different write behavior.

besides that, any reason why you dont use RAID6? that would let any two drives in the array conk out rather than just 'singles out of a pair'.

Synology RAID 10 uses the "Near" structure. RAID 1 array consists of two adjacent drives, and these RAID 1 arrays are combined into RAID 0.

so they'd make a RAID1 out of bay 1+2, and another RAID1 out of 3+4, and then stripe 12 + 34.

If you're mixing and matching drives. SHR is the only way. SHR2 allows for 2 drives to fail and offers the same storage as RAID 10 in a 4 bay NAS. In a 6 bay NAS, SHR2 gives you another drive of capacity, but you can still only loose 2 drives. 

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator?raid=SHR_2|RAID_10

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

42 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you're mixing and matching drives. SHR is the only way. SHR2 allows for 2 drives to fail and offers the same storage as RAID 10 in a 4 bay NAS. In a 6 bay NAS, SHR2 gives you another drive of capacity, but you can still only loose 2 drives. 

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator?raid=SHR_2|RAID_10

Thank you for your inputs. The reason I'd stay away from RAID 5/6 and SHR/SHR2 is that with each drive capacity at 22 TB, rebuild times would be way too long for my comfort level. I'd rather have a 6-drive RAID 10 with 1 hot spare, as RAID 10 allows for much quicker rebuilds.

Alright, since mixing different drive models in one RAID array is not recommended, I'd instead opt to purchase two sets of 3 Seagate drives at different times and/or from different resellers to minimize the chance of two or more drives failing at the same time if there was a bad batch. From what I understood from manikyath's reply, even though there is no software control to specify RAID 1 drive pair, there's still an option to populate drives into corresponding bays to ensure no RAID 1 is set up from the same batch of HDDs

2 hours ago, vogam7 said:

Hey LTT NAS enthusiasts. I'm considering purchasing a Synology NAS to set up RAID 10. Is there a way to specify in their software which drives RAID 1 mirrors and which ones RAID 0 stripes? Long story short, I have 6 drives, 3 from WD and 3 from Seagate, same capacity & specs . I want to ensure that mirror drives in a set aren't from the same vendor. If such a thing isn't possible via software, would alternating them while inserting into the bay do the trick? I'm a little worried that Synology might randomly pick drives for mirroring, and I'd end up with 2 drives from the same vendor purchased from the same batch, increasing the likelihood of 2 drive failure and RAID 10 non-recoverability. Apologies if someone has already answered this. I've searched for this info in various forums and the Synology manual but couldn't find an answer.. Thank you

When you run the Storage Creation Wizard; you choose which disks you want to add to the pool. 

You can't however choose the position in which you want them. 

With Synology RAID though DSM uses the Near structure; so it will use adjacent drives. 

Effectively if you have a 6 bay NAS, you want to put WD in Slots 1,2,3 and Seagate in Slots 4,5,6.

Keep in mind RAID10 will be in pairs. So it would be WD1-WD2 WD3-SG1 SG2-SG3

It would be a RAID01 that would be WD1-WD2-WD3 SG1-SG2-SG3

RAID10 = You can lose up to 3 disks, but only 1 per mirror

RAID01 = You can lose between 2-3 disks, depending on which disks fail (this config isn't supported in DSM)

RAID6 and SHR-2 would give you a 2 disk protection against ANY disks in the pool. 

It does so at the expense of some performance for parity calculations, but its negligible for most cases. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Jarsky, thank you for your reply. I like the idea of RAID 10, but wouldn't your recommendation of inserting WD in Slots 1,2,3 and Seagate in Slots 4,5,6 be contrary to the goal I'm trying to achieve? Let's say WD happens to produce a bad batch of HDDs that fail within 2 years. With your example, I may end up with an unrecoverable RAID 10 should the two disks in the first two bays fail. Would WD1-SG1*, WD2-SG2*, WD3-SG3*  be a bad idea to minimize the chance of more than one failure per mirror?

(*or the same drive model from a different batch) 

Blue4130, sure 😉

22 hours ago, vogam7 said:

Jarsky, thank you for your reply. I like the idea of RAID 10, but wouldn't your recommendation of inserting WD in Slots 1,2,3 and Seagate in Slots 4,5,6 be contrary to the goal I'm trying to achieve? Let's say WD happens to produce a bad batch of HDDs that fail within 2 years. With your example, I may end up with an unrecoverable RAID 10 should the two disks in the first two bays fail. Would WD1-SG1*, WD2-SG2*, WD3-SG3*  be a bad idea to minimize the chance of more than one failure per mirror?

(*or the same drive model from a different batch) 

sorry I mixed that up, thats the correct order I meant. So yeah stagger them. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA