Does ram affect GPU or PC performance?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

Reducing system RAM can also hinder GPU performance, not just from the perspective of hurting CPU performance (which is the main issue) but also in not leaving enough memory if you spill over your VRAM buffer. Having that happen causes data in RAM to need to be swapped into storage, which will cause stuttering.

Here's an ancient Hardware Unboxed video where Steve took a look at how much system RAM was needed in 2017. The reason it's relevant is because he also tested different VRAM capacities - unfortunately, he used the 3GB and 6GB GTX 1060 cards, so they don't only vary in VRAM capacity, but you can still see within a card's performance with different RAM amounts that having less system RAM hurts more the less VRAM you have - especially when it comes to the 1% and 0.1% lows.

In other words, having less system RAM when you also don't have enough VRAM will exacerbate the stuttering issues.

It might be a placebo effect or not.

On a GPU box i saw that there is ram recommendations like minimum is 4gb and recommended is 8? What does that mean? Does textures and other gpu stuff go from

Storage>ram>cpu>ram>gpu or

Storage>ram>cpu>gpu

Why is the ram thing there.

General pc performance will be slowed due to a lack of ram, they are right in saying 8 is the minimum, 4 is too little these days. At some point there will be a diminishing return with increased capacity.

7 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

On a GPU box i saw that there is ram recommendations like minimum is 4gb and recommended is 8? What does that mean? Does textures and other gpu stuff go from

storage>ram>gpu? Or 

Storage>gpu? 

Unless you have an extremely new NVidia GPU with DirectStorage compatiblity running on Windows 11 you will see performance losses due to a slow CPU and RAM when loading textures and other assets. These shouldn't be anything major, but it's not nonexistant.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

11 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

storage>ram>gpu? Or 

Storage>gpu? 

storage
cpu>ram>gpu

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

7 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Unless you have an extremely new NVidia GPU with DirectStorage compatiblity running on Windows 11 you will see performance losses due to a slow CPU and RAM when loading textures and other assets. These shouldn't be anything major, but it's not nonexistant.

DirectStorage wont fix a lack of RAM.  At best it might help a lack of VRAM not system RAM, if they optimise the game to keep as few assets in VRAM at a time as possible due to being able to load them faster.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Reducing system RAM can also hinder GPU performance, not just from the perspective of hurting CPU performance (which is the main issue) but also in not leaving enough memory if you spill over your VRAM buffer. Having that happen causes data in RAM to need to be swapped into storage, which will cause stuttering.

Here's an ancient Hardware Unboxed video where Steve took a look at how much system RAM was needed in 2017. The reason it's relevant is because he also tested different VRAM capacities - unfortunately, he used the 3GB and 6GB GTX 1060 cards, so they don't only vary in VRAM capacity, but you can still see within a card's performance with different RAM amounts that having less system RAM hurts more the less VRAM you have - especially when it comes to the 1% and 0.1% lows.

In other words, having less system RAM when you also don't have enough VRAM will exacerbate the stuttering issues.

15 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

storage
cpu>ram>gpu

Right its cpu ram gpu

Storage>ram>cpu>ram>gpu or

Storage>ram>cpu>gpu

25 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

storage>ram>gpu? Or 

Storage>gpu? 

what gpu?

id just ignore that since nowadays if you arent building an office pc (which you shouldnt be and you are better off buying old used <100$ prebuilts and chucking ssds in em) 16gb is basically minimum with 32gb preffered

24 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

General pc performance will be slowed due to a lack of ram

due to using virtual ram aka swap file which is basically just using your storage as ram, even a gen5 ssd is still much slower than ram, afaik those are only abit faster than ddr2 r/w wise but im comparing to my xtreem dark 1066c6 1x3 at 1470 7-9-9-10 trfc 80 which iirc was around the 10k mark r/w but its been awhile and one of the sticks decided to shelf die on me, think slower 800-1000mhz ddr2 will be abit slower but it helps that its usually quad rank for 8gb and not a cursed dual rank + single rank 3gb config

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

also this

forgot the gpu can use system ram if vram is exceeded

tldr need enough ram so stuff doesnt spill over to virtual memory aka your ssd

29 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

but also in not leaving enough memory if you spill over your VRAM buffer. Having that happen causes data in RAM to need to be swapped into storage, which will cause stuttering.

I agree because my game stautters af i want to put 8gigs and see

The RAM is not used only by the game. It's also used by the operating system and other programs you may have running in background (browsers, discord, other things).

Yes, ram amount matters. 

Running in dual channel (2 sticks) also improves performance, up to 5-10% extra performance in some situations. 

Some processors are more sensitive about frequency : for example, there's a noticeable performance increase on Ryzen processors going from 2666 Mhz to 3000 Mhz and 3200 Mhz and a bit less noticeable from 3200 to 3600 or more. Intel processors used to be less sensitive about frequency.

49 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Storage>ram>cpu>gpu

Usually it goes
Storage > Chipset (as even NVMe drives tend to not have direct attachment to CPU) > CPU/RAM (there will be a lot of back and forth as the textures and stuff are unpacked) > GPU (often directly wired to CPU)
There are cases where the GPU's VRAM is full and it will try offloading some cache to RAM (which is routed through the CPU), but the latency on that is absurd and can lead to instabilities 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup