Bundesnetzagentur requires provider to supply telecommunications services (Germany) 10 mbit download 1.7 mbit upload

Germany lives in year 2000:

The provider subject to the requirement now has to provide the consumer with a minimum supply of services in accordance with the values determined in the legislation, including a download rate of at least 10 megabits per second and an upload speed of at least 1.7 mbps. The one-way latency may be no more than 150 milliseconds. The provider must supply these services at a price that is affordable to the consumer, which the Bundesnetzagentur recently calculated to be about €30 a month. The company subject to the requirement may have this decision reviewed by a court.

Source:

https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/SharedDocs/Pressemitteilungen/EN/2024/20240311_Mindestversorgung_final.html?nn=694186

16 minutes ago, Hatamoto_1 said:

Germany lives in year 2000

2000? I had these speeds not even 5 years ago! 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

A bit more context would help. It sounds like this is a property that is relatively detached so there is no existing infrastructure reaching it, even if there is some nearby. If there isn't an explicit universal access requirement, then costs can be high. It sounds like this is a push towards something like universal access.

The minimum requirements listed might seem low, but for remote locations it could potentially be provided over the mobile network or even LEO satellite outside of pricing.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think this is to force providers to upgrade their network, especially in area's where they only give dial-up internet

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

18 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

I think this is to force providers to upgrade their network, especially in area's where they only give dial-up internet

Here in the US at least, many analog(POT) lines are left to rot and either are abandoned from providing telephone service or converted into dry loop only lines. 

Building out fiber, coax, 5G cellular, point-to-point wireless, and LEO sat service (Starlink) is the only viable way forward.

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

10mbps in 2000? Damn and here I was happy my 56k modem would actually negotiate a connection at above 40kbps.

I was there, 3000 years ago...

I remember making the most out of the 10 hours a month NetZero gave away by turning off images. Before that we had to dial through my dad's work at 10 cents a minute.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

10mbps in 2000? Damn and here I was happy my 56k modem would actually negotiate a connection at above 40kbps.

Had a 56K modem up to 2001 then switched to DSL first offerings, can't recall bandwidth but it was way more, around 500kbps

Now on 2x1Gb/sec cable, things really progressed fast !

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, darknessblade said:

especially in area's where they only give dial-up internet

Germany does not offer dial-up internet. All analog ports and ISDN connections have been disabled by Deutsche Telekom many years ago.

-= Topic Moved to General Discussion =-

Topic does not meet the guidelines of a TN post.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 3/12/2024 at 12:40 PM, porina said:

A bit more context would help. It sounds like this is a property that is relatively detached so there is no existing infrastructure reaching it, even if there is some nearby. If there isn't an explicit universal access requirement, then costs can be high. It sounds like this is a push towards something like universal access.

The minimum requirements listed might seem low, but for remote locations it could potentially be provided over the mobile network or even LEO satellite outside of pricing.

Yes, and this is what this is mostly about. The location had no internet at all and no provider was interested in putting any sort of connection to it unless the owner was willing to pay a huge amount of money. There is a right to be supplied with telecommunications services which is in place since 2021. This means that every household has the right to at least some form or affordable and usable internet.

While I think the speed should be higher to be considered 'usable' in today's world, it forces the companies to provide a solution. So it's much better than nothing, and there is hope that once a solution has to be provided it wont be the minimum that was stated. I mean if you have to do the work you might as well do a semi decent job that wont be challenged in a few years again.

I think we'll have to wait to see how it actually turns out, but at least it's a start...

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting, I don't think similar conditions are at work in Sweden. There are goals set for 2025:

Everybody should have access to 30 Mbit/s (currently 99.83%)

99.9% should have access to 100 Mbit/s (currently 98.8%)

98% should have access to 1 Gbit/s (currently 98.63%)

LTE/4G at households is at 99.99%.

yea so now my isp is going to downgrade my speeds to prehistoric levels because mine are above the recommended level, thanks again deutchland lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/13/2024 at 6:43 PM, XWAUForceflow said:

Yes, and this is what this is mostly about. The location had no internet at all and no provider was interested in putting any sort of connection to it unless the owner was willing to pay a huge amount of money. There is a right to be supplied with telecommunications services which is in place since 2021. This means that every household has the right to at least some form or affordable and usable internet.

While I think the speed should be higher to be considered 'usable' in today's world, it forces the companies to provide a solution. So it's much better than nothing, and there is hope that once a solution has to be provided it wont be the minimum that was stated. I mean if you have to do the work you might as well do a semi decent job that wont be challenged in a few years again.

I think we'll have to wait to see how it actually turns out, but at least it's a start...

yeah.  its called satelite.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yea so now my isp is going to downgrade my speeds to prehistoric levels because mine are above the recommended level, thanks again deutchland lol 

I highly doubt this is going to happen, and if so the Verbraucherschutz would like to have a word with your ISP.

21 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

That's not what this means, at all... 

Are reading comprehension levels really this low these days? 

Sometimes I wonder if people just pretend like they don't understand texts, or if they genuinely don't understand. In any case, it's kind of scary seeing people basically lose their ability to communicate. 

33 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That's not what this means, at all... 

Are reading comprehension levels really this low these days? 

Sometimes I wonder if people just pretend like they don't understand texts, or if they genuinely don't understand. In any case, it's kind of scary seeing people basically lose their ability to communicate. 

Images

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Are reading comprehension levels really this low these days

apparently. some people just don't understand sarcasm in writing or otherwise. 

also assume you never lived in Germany than you would have understood lol

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer