Linus Reads Really Mean Comments

Back at it with the mean comments eh? Perfect! We sat down several members of our staff to read and react to some of your YouTube comments. Some are nice, some are mean…. So join us for the ride!

This video is why I come here.    This very day I have to set up a meeting with the dean to discuss student concerns which likely include contradictory diametrically opposed things.  That class is going too slow they aren't learning enough. I just read from the slides others gave me. They aren't really learning anything.  AT THE SAME TIME  class is going too fast.  I'm teaching them too much that is not in the book. (going just a little beyond the book to a slightly more advanced place to show that I don't just read the book).  That its all too advanced and they aren't keeping up.   (Class contains people who just barely passed Calc 1 along with people who are in Differential Equations). Along with aspects of the class I don't control (Homework system that does not sync with our LMS) and more senior faculty do.  I can go on...   I've had my own version of reading mean comments for a while.  I was viscerally angry about that and more to the point of wanting to cash my retirement fund out of the market while the cashing is good. 

Then this. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240306_131531.thumb.png.7bfe5bc6ebde2eea3b235b293c171c77.png

OH BEHAVE BABY YEAH!    Dude I was thinking you look like Mike Myers before this.  Now I really see it.   You should consider a haircut and a smart blue suit. 

Ah yes 1900 and 97 That was a very good year.  That movie was Number 5 at the box office for a LONG time then the second was a HUGE hit from the word go.  I'd love to see a new one but also kinda not. 

This video made a right turn in my day. 

i know it's not a real thing, i'm just so curious what "list" that commenter thinks Riley is on (@ 7:30)

28 minutes ago, Reversinator said:

i know it's not a real thing, i'm just so curious what "list" that commenter thinks Riley is on (@ 7:30)

If you have to ask then you are not ready to know. 

Just to toss this around - maybe belongs in the suggestion thread but, how about a video where they read really positive/nice comments?

FYI got this error on the beta site.  Tell Luke to fix his sh*t!  LOL

Floatplane.edit.png

1 hour ago, KiHuld said:

Just to toss this around - maybe belongs in the suggestion thread but, how about a video where they read really positive/nice comments?

It sounds good in theory, but this type of video sadly doesnt have the same "Stakes" or "Content". When people see a title like "Staff reads positive comments" most of an audience will go "yeah ok just going to compliment looks or channel or ...." But when people see its mean comments, they go "I wonder what is being said" or "what could be so mean"

I hope that makes sense, and yeah the thread of ideas is def the place to post that stuff, we go through it every week 😉 and have def used some ideas

1 minute ago, Elijah Horner said:

and have def used some ideas

you never used my ideas

good to hear its actually looked at though

“I am the unlikable douche, and I really want that on a shirt now.”

LTTStore.com?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

@ 12:45

Putting helmets on people who are not truly handicapped is not funny. 

This implies that putting helmets on handicapped people IS funny. Love it. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

my favorite part of watching these (and reading them when i come across them naturally) is the wide ranging reasons for hatred. In the same video sometimes, youll get linus attacked for being a shill(seems to be untrue, but sure, you can think that), another cast member attacked for their phyiscal appearance(commenter is a dick), and a third commenter who is enraged about a safety protocol being violated( maybe correct but a weird thing to rage on the internet for). its just such a melting pot

dan bread.... the saint of ltt!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

16 hours ago, Reversinator said:

The commenter’s hitlist, obvi

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

13 hours ago, Elijah Horner said:

It sounds good in theory, but this type of video sadly doesnt have the same "Stakes" or "Content". When people see a title like "Staff reads positive comments" most of an audience will go "yeah ok just going to compliment looks or channel or ...." But when people see its mean comments, they go "I wonder what is being said" or "what could be so mean"

I hope that makes sense, and yeah the thread of ideas is def the place to post that stuff, we go through it every week 😉 and have def used some ideas

What about a video where staff reacts to memes made about them?

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

10 hours ago, aisle9 said:

LTTStore.com?

No the next marvel superhero 

10 hours ago, aisle9 said:

LTTStore.com?

"I am the unlikable douche - trust me bro"?

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

13 hours ago, Karthanon said:

The mean comments weren't nearly mean enough. The Internet is losing it's edge.

Linus did say on WAN show repeatedly that his effort of shadowbanning the really, really mentally handicapped (should've worn a helmet, I guess) people was paying off. I guess this is just it.

And while I can't fully support shadowbanning people without a cap on ban duration, I must admit, it's quite inspiring that sometimes all you need to do to facilitate quality discussion is ban 0.1% of the people participating in it.

The principle of filtering out the garbage by people who produced it is just so powerful, even outside the Internet, it brings me joy.

2 hours ago, DeerDK said:

"I am the unlikable douche - trust me bro"?

Does this imply you'll either refund the time spent talking to you or replace yourself with the proper most unlikable douche if it turns out that you're not?

But you do save money by not getting taxed on your home pool.

4 minutes ago, Elijah Horner said:

bruh, did you watch the video lmao. No you dont....

They don't read, or watch half the time.  

It's a thing. 

Well, you can probably save some money if you list your personal pool as a business expense. But I'm pretty sure that stunning legal move is called 'tax fraud' in most jurisdictions. (This is not legal advice, btw)