Linus Reads Really Mean Comments

41 minutes ago, Nullcaller said:

Well, you can probably save some money if you list your personal pool as a business expense. But I'm pretty sure that stunning legal move is called 'tax fraud' in most jurisdictions. (This is not legal advice, btw)

Instructions unclear

FBI is here 😞

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

48 minutes ago, Nullcaller said:

Well, you can probably save some money if you list your personal pool as a business expense. But I'm pretty sure that stunning legal move is called 'tax fraud' in most jurisdictions. (This is not legal advice, btw)

Get outta here with you tax fraud.

tumblr_mrzs1bA4ss1rwrbe5o1_250.gif.dd581cd4a3a5b629a51d431e590b95f1.gif

15 hours ago, Karthanon said:

The mean comments weren't nearly mean enough. The Internet is losing it's edge.

They wanted fun funny mean like

"Linus beardless looks like he went through 4 years of combat on the Ukrainian front"

Not ... Asking for comments on stories that appeared in Forbes mean.  😈 

Its sad negative things get more attention.  Its just how our mammal monkey brains work.  Hence mean comments get videos.

1 hour ago, Elijah Horner said:

bruh, did you watch the video lmao. No you dont....

You're still new around here. You'll get used to that 😉

On a real note, you've been a blast to watch. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, Elijah Horner said:

bruh, did you watch the video lmao. No you dont....

tbf the explanation was very poor.
If Linus pays 1,600,000 cad out of pocket on the pool, and 600,000 of that is to taxes, and then films the entire process as a business project, He can try to write off the project as a business expense. The 600,000 is the only part that is in play. It doesn't mean he just gets 600k back maybe, it would be deducted from what he owes in taxes at the end of the year.

Now this doesnt exactly mean it's legal to do so, and there is a lot more legalese involved since I'm not exactly sure the limits on such a deduction is or even what classification it falls under, or if its one lump sum, or return over 5 years ect ect...

But I do know you 100% can deduct stuff you personally bought and use at home. I have a friend who wrote off tons of garage tools and equipment because he started a non-profit company and films stuff for the company in the garage.

55 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

If Linus pays 1,600,000 cad out of pocket on the pool, and 600,000 of that is to taxes

60% tax rate on sales? 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

47 minutes ago, Skipple said:

60% tax rate on sales? 

numbers slightly exaggerated because haha canada meme

4 hours ago, Nullcaller said:

But I'm pretty sure that stunning legal move is called 'tax fraud' in most jurisdictions.

Your fault is that you assume I follow the law

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

7 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

And now I'm telling you to follow the law 🤡

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

5 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

And now I'm telling you to follow the law 🤡

*sprints the other direction*

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

On 3/6/2024 at 6:31 PM, Karthanon said:

The mean comments weren't nearly mean enough. The Internet is losing it's edge.

I agree and almost none of them were actually clever or funny.

Those posters need to watch Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets.

53 minutes ago, Erioch said:

I agree and almost none of them were actually clever or funny.

Oftentimes they aren’t clever because a lot of these comments come from so completely terrible takes.

On 3/7/2024 at 11:10 PM, GoStormPlays said:

Dear sir or madam.

If you would be so kind as to read my reply thoroughly, you would see that I have, in fact, made no such assumption.

I merely stated that my humble guess is, if one were to do a certain thing like the one described in the aforementioned reply, it could, under certain circumstances, be feasibly considered a so-called 'tax fraud'.

I did not (nor will I) comment on the probability of Linus, or the reader, being involved in such a marvelous yet distinctly fishy scheme.

Please take appropriate measures to ensure such a fundamental misunderstanding of others' comments by yourself doesn't happen again.

Sincerely Yours,

Not A Lawyer

P.S. I started this thing mildly mockingly pedantic, but then it just sorta snowballed. So anyway, hope you enjoyed.

21 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

Oftentimes they aren’t clever because a lot of these comments come from so completely terrible takes.

Well, for the video, they don't necessarily have to be clever.

Funny = unexpected, see Rowan Atkinson. So they just have to be unexpected enough to be funny on their own or with enough potential for the host to respond with something that is unexpected enough to be funny.

I actually find that the vast majority of the jokes that make you fold in half with laughter build on the previous conversational context in unexpected ways. So the comments on their own can't even be that funny if they aren't a paragraph long.

Problem is, by now, I think we've heard all there currently is to be said about Linus as a person, with the information we possess, whether positive or negative. So we can't really hear anything unexpected.

And other hosts aren't on camera in the same capacity as Linus really. I.e. they don't have that parasocial youtuber-esque "face-to-face content" vibe, and we don't get the same kind of insight into their lives. So we can only critique or congratulate them as hosts, not make fun of or sympathize with them as people, which means we can say pretty much nothing about them, because they're obviously fine at hosting videos. I mean, they got the job, right?

So yeah. Nothing unexpected, less funny comments. Also moderation, see above in replies.

Also also, actually actually, the point about hosts not having the same youtuber-y parasocial vibe, I don't want to be that guy, but I think it's mega-important.

I've been feeling for a long time this weird thing about LMG, that Linus' personality doesn't quite scale as the number of employees goes up, like Linus is still the central cog in the machine, and everything about the video production would break without him. And I couldn't quite put my finger on why exactly I was getting this feeling, whether the hosts needed more creative control, or something...

But I think this is why. Linus is a youtuber. And I feel like every single other person employed by Linus Media Group, is not. They're hosts, writers, camera operators — you name it; but not youtubers. James, Riley, Sarah, they maybe come close. But definitely not as close as Linus.

1 hour ago, Nullcaller said:

Dear sir or madam.

If you would be so kind as to read my reply thoroughly, you would see that I have, in fact, made no such assumption.

I merely stated that my humble guess is, if one were to do a certain thing like the one described in the aforementioned reply, it could, under certain circumstances, be feasibly considered a so-called 'tax fraud'.

I did not (nor will I) comment on the probability of Linus, or the reader, being involved in such a marvelous yet distinctly fishy scheme.

Please take appropriate measures to ensure such a fundamental misunderstanding of others' comments by yourself doesn't happen again.

Sincerely Yours,

Not A Lawyer

P.S. I started this thing mildly mockingly pedantic, but then it just sorta snowballed. So anyway, hope you enjoyed.

he definetly thinks i'm about to commit tax fraud

time to call on my *ahem* associate again...

50 minutes ago, Nullcaller said:

So we can only critique or congratulate them as hosts, not make fun of or sympathize with them as people, which means we can say pretty much nothing about them, because they're obviously fine at hosting videos. I mean, they got the job, right?

Maybe it's a little less of that now that Linus has been hosting most of the LTTs, but seeing often recurring hosts (like James, Riley, Elijah, etc.) can still create that same parasocial relationship, it just might be a little less stronger than a typical parasocial relationship with Linus would be because Linus appears on camera more often.

11 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

seeing often recurring hosts (like James, Riley, Elijah, etc.) can still create that same parasocial relationship, it just might be a little less stronger than a typical parasocial relationship with Linus would be because Linus appears on camera more often

I don't know about that. I feel like it's a two-way thing.

The host has to indicate that they're kind of good with that parasocial relationship, that's the youtuberiness I'm talking about. It's the subtle cues that I can probably only describe as treating the camera as a placeholder for somebody close-ish to you, maybe even as close as a friend (in a limited kind or capacity).

News hosts and actors also appear on camera regularly. Yet you generally don't form parasocial relationships with them without additional context (i.e. following them on social media or something).

59 minutes ago, Nullcaller said:

News hosts and actors also appear on camera regularly. Yet you generally don't form parasocial relationships with them without additional context (i.e. following them on social media or something).

Again, that happens with time. It wasn’t instant for Linus, and it’s not instant for anyone else.