Should 30fps still be considered "minimum requirement"

okkee

I don't have much of a dog in this race but since getting my pc (as basic as it is) i really cant do 30fps. Like i can manage a racing game that does 40-50 fps average but for some reason 30 just seems so slow. what do you guys think?

5 minutes ago, okkee said:

what do you guys think?

It depends. When it's a constant 30 fps without stutters or drops, it's fine. When it does stutter or drop, it's not great.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

Certain Types of games certainly feel optimal with less input delay iE Racing at 50fps vs 30fps.

Some other types of games like Red Dead Redemption 2 animations are long and sluggish so having 30fps doesn't feel as bad as the inputs already feel soaked up by animations on every action.

I personally prefer the slightly smoother 37hz half refresh (75hz) over 30fps lock for my minimum but 30 with good pacing and motion blur to blend, can be okay too..if done right.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If you mean 30FPS minimum (the framerate is at worst 30 at all times) then I'd say it's bad for this day and age but playable. 

If you're talking about 30FPS avg framerate then absolutely unplayable. 

For me it's not really acceptable. Sure it's playable, but a lot less enjoyable than 60 fps. Coming from PC gaming, I recently aquired a PS4 to play Bloodborne, which is notorious not only for having a 30 fps cap, but also bad frame times now and then, so it's not even a smooth and reliable 30 fps.

From an input lag perspective it still feels fine for a non-competitive but nevertheless precise game, but the inherent image stutter that comes with 30 fps is jarring and extremely distracting to me. No doubt this is also amplified by OLED response times on my TV.

I have the same issue with 24 fps movie content nowadays. I need some amount of interpolation to make the sample-and-hold stutter less noticeable.

And with games like Bloodborne there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would enjoy the game a lot more on 60 fps.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

There is a "depends on the game" factor. Personally I'd find any way I can to increase it above 30 with average 60 being my personal target, drops to 50 being tolerable.

I know this was posted in the PC section, but many console games will be 30 target in quality mode, 60 target in performance mode. I tend to find myself going to performance mode in those cases.

Back to PC, Cities Skylines (1 or 2) is a game I play at lows of around 20fps, seriously! It is helped in large part that the interface and rendering can be detached so interactions still feel fine.

21 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I have the same issue with 24 fps movie content nowadays. I need some amount of interpolation to make the sample-and-hold stutter less noticeable.

I can only dream of 24fps... when watching anime! 😄 Dunno what they use now, but it is probably single digit.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

definitely depends on the game but for most 30fps is kinda shit, something likke 40-50 is more tolerable and 75+ is ideal especially for fast paced stuff

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I can only dream of 24fps... when watching anime! 😄 Dunno what they use now, but it is probably single digit.

I'd also say it depends. Older shows are typically using less fps. In any case I'm also using motion interpolation to watch anime, otherwise slow panning shots look horrible unless you still use a 10 year old VA panel that smears everything out anyway.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

i dont think the concept of 'minimum requirements' should have a framerate tied to it.

the term literally means 'the lowest spec hardware you can use to play this game'.

what is deemed playable depends on the game itself.

for example - i'd prefer the sims at 30fps 1080p, but i'd prefer wreckfest at 60fps 720p.

also - a rock solid 30fps is better than 60fps with dips to 45. this is in fact why i used to run the sims 3 capped at 30fps.

1 hour ago, okkee said:

I don't have much of a dog in this race but since getting my pc (as basic as it is) i really cant do 30fps. Like i can manage a racing game that does 40-50 fps average but for some reason 30 just seems so slow. what do you guys think?

Yes certainly.

Some games feels different, while some 30 fps feels like crap in some games its smother.

Stuttering and latency can contribute to how it feels.

It's straight up horrible and no. It is considered on consoles not PC though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

30fps, 720p, all low. That's minimum. Now, question is, what game. Hardware to achieve that is different if you are talking about Cyberpunk or Age of Empires 3.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

30fps, 720p, all low. That's minimum. Now, question is, what game. Hardware to achieve that is different if you are talking about Cyberpunk or Age of Empires 3.

According to cdprojektred (admittedly haven't tested it myself) my 4790 with a 5600xt is just about decent for a 1080p30fps Low experience, which I guess would be the average xone/ps4 experience. That's all well and good but 30fps seems to me to be just a not good playing experience.  It's barely good enough and any drops will be quite painfully obvious. Of course 30fps in something like Civ3 or the sims or simcity won't be detrimental to the overall experience but something like return to castle wolfenstein is a much better experience at 60+ fps. All that said, no-one is forced to play at 30fps but still...

19 minutes ago, okkee said:

According to cdprojektred (admittedly haven't tested it myself) my 4790 with a 5600xt is just about decent for a 1080p30fps Low experience, which I guess would be the average xone/ps4 experience. That's all well and good but 30fps seems to me to be just a not good playing experience.  It's barely good enough and any drops will be quite painfully obvious. Of course 30fps in something like Civ3 or the sims or simcity won't be detrimental to the overall experience but something like return to castle wolfenstein is a much better experience at 60+ fps. All that said, no-one is forced to play at 30fps but still...

Ah, so you meant as experience. To that I would say it still depends from a game. But stable 45-50fps is fine. Stability is the key. If you experience 15fps drop with 100fps average, it's nothing. But if it's from 60 to 45, that's significant.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv