Best ATX remover tool

I want to do some psu sleeving and I need a ATX tool but all the once Ive seen people just say they break within the first few uses 

@ericlee30 Can you recommend this guy something @forscience158 did you mean you wanted a tool set for 24pin power 8pin cpu etc?

Yeah For removing pins from Cpu,24 Pin,Gpu Power that kind 

None of the ones i've had are that good. Some work on some cables and some work on others. Paperclips work too but i found that i have to flatten the edges with a grinder before they fit into the sides, and it takes a lot of them.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Yeah For removing pins from Cpu,24 Pin,Gpu Power that kind 

If you live in the UK this is what you're looking for : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunbeam-Tools-PSU-Modding-ToolKit/dp/B001KQDS6G

But if you don't just search up in say Amazom.com or Google "Tools for PSU Modding" or "PSU Modding ToolKit"

I would search for someone on the forum by the name of Ericlee30. He's pretty exceptional at psu sleeving.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

If you live in the UK this is what you're looking for : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunbeam-Tools-PSU-Modding-ToolKit/dp/B001KQDS6G

But if you don't just search up in say Amazom.com or Google "Tools for PSU Modding" or "PSU Modding ToolKit"

I would search for someone on the forum by the name of Ericlee30. He's pretty exceptional at psu sleeving.

I looked at those tools people say they break super easy 

Here is his profile, and you can PM him about anything since he's the closest person I know who does psu sleeving regularly.

http://linustechtips.com/main/user/2649-ericlee30/

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

I looked at those tools people say they break super easy 

Alike operating on a human body, this is a delicate process. Sometimes tools can break.

Alike operating on a human body, this is a delicate process. Sometimes tools can break.

No like break within one use

20 of 20 people found the following review helpful By Nick D on January 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a generic version of the tools in the picture. It has no name branding and is cheaply made. Order this product from another site and don't be mislead by the pictures that show the name branding. This is a cheaply made generic set that breaks easily so don't waste your time and money.
Comment  Was this review helpful to you?  YesNo
12 of 12 people found the following review helpful By Trevor Courtney on November 6, 2011
Verified Purchase
The one I needed the most broke on it's very first use. I recommend buying something more durable. These are very flimsy.
6 of 6 people found the following review helpful By mtids on December 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
Do not buy this! The pin removal tool broke on the first use and it didn't work anyway. Buy the tool from million dollar PC, you will pay more, but it's high quality, not this junk.
9 of 11 people found the following review helpful By iouzero on August 30, 2009
Verified Purchase
The tools included in this set are lacking in strength and bend easily with the smallest amount of pressure. Once bent, they become useless, as what little stiffness they began with is completely gone.

I'll stick with the paperclip from now on. It works better and costs a lot less
4 of 4 people found the following review helpful By Gordon LaPlante on January 17, 2013
Verified Purchase
Of course it was an impulse buy and I missed the reviews but I had the same experience. This is a cheap knockoff product which broke during the first use. Do not buy this one.
6 of 7 people found the following review helpful By Cable Ripper on July 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
These looked nice. I bought a set to tweak PS cable for odd Dell Molex connector. I inserted the two prong tool to no effect. I wiggled it VERY SLIGHTLY and it broke off in the connector. Looking closely at the tool, I realized it was poorly designed and produced. The prongs had been over ground on the interior and didn't have enough material left to depress the Molex hooks. Likely the grinding had also weakened the prong metal. The Molex OEM tool has a small chamfer on the tip. This tool has a long draft ground along the interior length.

I wrote to both the vendor and the manufacturer. I never heard back from the manufacturer. The vendor offered a refund.
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful By remotehugger on September 23, 2012
Verified Purchase
the only part of this set worth anything is the molex pin remover - the prongs on the atx pin remover broke the first time i used it - the tool with the single point also broke - would never buy this or recommend this to anyone - the only reason i gave it 1 star is becauseof the molex pin remover - spend the money on the original molex atx pin remover - it will save you time, money and a huge headache !
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful By TANYA on September 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have been sleeving entire pc's for about 5 years and have done probably 200 psu's by now. The atx pin extraction tool in this kit is absolutely worthless. Both of the prong snapped clean off on the FIRST pin I tried to remove. Don't waste your money since you are going to have to spend more anyway, get the good ones first!!!!

@forscience158 Fine. I guess if it's too generic it may be of low quality. He might've used too much strength but I don't know. Find a brand that has good reviews and is popular.

I think you should rename this thread to something more closely reflecting PSU sleeving/ Pin removal. "Best ATX remover tool" makes it sound like you want a tool to remove motherboards. In which case its a screwdriver. Just saying, more relevant titles will draw the right crowd of people.

"Best tool for PSU Pin Removal"

I am whatever I am. 

If you don't do this as a job, use staples. Separate 2 staples together, bend one end straight, then do this again. You have 2 L shape staples and they will work very well.

@ericlee30 Can you recommend this guy something @forscience158 did you mean you wanted a tool set for 24pin power 8pin cpu etc?

Thanks @wng_kingsley7, sorry for the late response, for some reason I never got a notification of you linking me :(. If the OP can get the ATX pin removal tool, that would be the best, but if the OP is only going to do one PSU, he just might be better off doing what @jryang1018 suggested with the two staples. The staples method is a very inexpensive way to remove the pins, it's not as hassle free as the ATX tool but it still gets the job done :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Thanks @wng_kingsley7, sorry for the late response, for some reason I never got a notification of you linking me :(. If the OP can get the ATX pin removal tool, that would be the best, but if the OP is only going to do one PSU, he just might be better off doing what @jryang1018 suggested with the two staples. The staples method is a very inexpensive way to remove the pins, it's not as hassle free as the ATX tool but it still gets the job done :)

Don't worry, you always come around whether it's early or late. Thats the characteristic I like about ya :)

This is what Molex, the company that makes the pins and connectors, sells for this purpose: http://www.newark.com/molex/11-03-0044/extraction-tool/dp/94F9674

EDIT: This is the tool that MDPC-X and Lutro sell, Lutro's is modified slightly IIRC.

Works 100x better than the Sunbeam set (linked above a bit).

Personally, $20 is very little to pay to not have to get angry at inanimate objects.

The mdpc version hands down! Its way easier then using stables or that kind of diy junk...  I've got one and its absolutely amazing!

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Agreed.  Get the Lutro tool.  I just did mine and was not able to get the tool because it was out of stock.  I used an iPhone sim extractor tool (the one that comes with the phone) and it took me over 12 hours to sleeve my PSU.  Mind you I was using paracord and heatshrink so it took a long time.

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

I got this,Phobya Molex Extractor Kit. And already sleeved more than 5 PSU's with it. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

If you don't do this as a job, use staples. Separate 2 staples together, bend one end straight, then do this again. You have 2 L shape staples and they will work very well.

Seriously staples or a paperclip are best. I used tools to start off with. They were extremely difficult to use and they just broke after an hour. Switched to a paperclip and I was depinning them cables so easily.

• 3 years later...

guys Ive made an amazing discovery! Im was struggling to de-pin using staples and i thought maybe something sturdier was needed and grabbed the smallest two flathead bits in my ifixit pro tool kit 1mm and 1.5mm, while fiddling with those i somehow spun the 1mm around and the next pull it slid right out intact. seeing how this might have been a fluke i started on a new pin and simply inserted, spun about three times and repeated on the other side and the pin came out, again undamaged. i did all 38 of the cables i was sleeving and the depinning took about four seconds a pin max! ill post pics later but this method of just spinning a 1mm flathead next to the retention clips made this whole process a million times less frustrating. anyway i hope someone finds use in this thread even though its 4 years old

P.S. this method probobly will damage the clips if used more than twice but you should only need one and i havent tested it any further for fear of breaking one