Nvidia App goes beta

Did i understand it correctly that the 2 main reasons why someone would go into NVCP aren't even present in the new app? Hardware Unboxed mentioned, refresh rate settings and the G-Sync toggle aren't there.

I get that some settings in the old control panel are obsolete nowadays and don't need to be ported. But imo every setting that's still relevant should be ported over. I don't want a situation where i can do most of it in the new app but still need the old one some of the time.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

55 minutes ago, Lurick said:

This new version doesn't require a login

2 hours ago, porina said:

Believe login is no longer needed for App.

That's a very welcome change!

30 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Did i understand it correctly that the 2 main reasons why someone would go into NVCP aren't even present in the new app? Hardware Unboxed mentioned, refresh rate settings and the G-Sync toggle aren't there.

Refresh rate can be set through Windows dialogs and is how I'd normally do it. It is pretty much a one time setting unless you're messing around.

G-Sync will turn itself on if you have a G-Sync Compatible display. The inconvenience may only fall on those with displays not meeting that standard.

30 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I don't want a situation where i can do most of it in the new app but still need the old one some of the time.

Windows 11 still hasn't managed it 😄 

Again, it is beta and it'll probably go through more updates before it reaches full release.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Except it doesn't. It's full of dumb glitches and it has been this way for basically 20 years. I had a  Menu takes forever to open, graphic settings description is overlapped by settings so you need to scroll it just right to see setting description, the menu resets to the top every time you select/change anything, when you apply it flashes several times and takes like 3 seconds to apply. On a modern system with cores, RAM and SSD speeds to throw around. Not to mention it's clumsy to use.

I'd have less of an issue if NVIDIA just made it more responsive and glitch free even if it looked the same. But I had that opinion some 15 years ago. Been demanding total redesign for like a decade.

It's been so long that everyone forgets the Control Panel has been slow & laggy the entire time. It's never been a smooth experience. And, man, if you had a weak card that didn't load something properly, even into the late 2010s, was it a chore to try to fix anything.  I never had too much of an issue with the interface itself (it was functional enough), but the hanging and the lag. It was like playing a shooter at 2 FPS. If you had something you had to tweak a few times to figure out the issue, enjoy the hanging and the frustration.  (In some ways it was worse back when it was in the same design as everything else, so then it just came across as incredibly incompetent coding.)

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Except it doesn't. It's full of dumb glitches and it has been this way for basically 20 years. I had a  Menu takes forever to open, graphic settings description is overlapped by settings so you need to scroll it just right to see setting description, the menu resets to the top every time you select/change anything, when you apply it flashes several times and takes like 3 seconds to apply. On a modern system with cores, RAM and SSD speeds to throw around. Not to mention it's clumsy to use.

I'd have less of an issue if NVIDIA just made it more responsive and glitch free even if it looked the same. But I had that opinion some 15 years ago. Been demanding total redesign for like a decade.

You struggling to use it =/= not working. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

11 minutes ago, Agall said:

I love it when clowns like you barge in and claim "user error". I bet you're a Linux user too, because you lot always do this s**t. You argument issues, you show it's clearly software issue and you'll always have moppets that will claim you're doing it wrong somehow. Yeah, sure, I'm clicking wrong, it's why menu always scrolls to the top. Are you for real dude?

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

That's a very welcome change!

Very much so! I have no idea who thought login for driver updates made sense but they're an idiot 😄

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I love it when clowns like you barge in and claim "user error". I bet you're a Linux user too, because you lot always do this s**t. You argument issues, you show it's clearly software issue and you'll always have moppets that will claim you're doing it wrong somehow. Yeah, sure, I'm clicking wrong, it's why menu always scrolls to the top. Are you for real dude?

If my Steam Deck counts as Linux, sure.

Nvidia Control Panel has had its long standing issues for decades, but just because the UI is dated doesn't mean it doesn't work. Being unable to use the scroll wheel in the 3D Settings section without accidentally changing a setting being an example. 

I stated that it at least works, you refuted by saying it doesn't then described ways that failed to demonstrate the application not working.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

I haven't personally had geforce experience installed for a few years. Don't really ever touch nvidia control panel other than to adjust monitor settings. Most the games I play have a fairly functioning graphics option menu.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

20 minutes ago, Agall said:

If my Steam Deck counts as Linux, sure.

Nvidia Control Panel has had its long standing issues for decades, but just because the UI is dated doesn't mean it doesn't work. Being unable to use the scroll wheel in the 3D Settings section without accidentally changing a setting being an example. 

I stated that it at least works, you refuted by saying it doesn't then described ways that failed to demonstrate the application not working.

So, what made you think this makes sense then:

?

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Except it doesn't.

It's full of dumb glitches and it has been this way for basically 20 years.

I had a  Menu takes forever to open, graphic settings description is overlapped by settings so you need to scroll it just right to see setting description,

the menu resets to the top every time you select/change anything,

when you apply it flashes several times and takes like 3 seconds to apply.

On a modern system with cores, RAM and SSD speeds to throw around. Not to mention it's clumsy to use.

At no point do you refute my claim;

On 2/22/2024 at 8:27 AM, Agall said:

Nvidia Control Panel works

Your struggles or complaints above would not describe an impeding dysfunction but an annoyance or slight hindrance to its use.

I personally haven't installed Geforce Experience but once in the last 6-7 years which was by accident. I take a 'less is more' approach to software, which includes unnecessary additions like Geforce Experience. 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

44 minutes ago, Agall said:

At no point do you refute my claim;

Your struggles or complaints above would not describe an impeding dysfunction but an annoyance or slight hindrance to its use.

I personally haven't installed Geforce Experience but once in the last 6-7 years which was by accident. I take a 'less is more' approach to software, which includes unnecessary additions like Geforce Experience. 

You make no f**king sense dude. First you call me incompetent, then you were downplaying it to "it's just gltches" and now you're demanding me to refute your claims? What claims? You said literally nothing of worth other than call me names because broken ass control panel totally needs user being an expert. Wtf dude?

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

You make no f**king sense dude. First you call me incompetent, then you were downplaying it to "it's just gltches" and now you're demanding me to refute your claims? What claims? You said literally nothing of worth other than call me names because broken ass control panel totally needs user being an expert. Wtf dude?

Dear lord you're overreacting, at what point did I call you incompetent? You seem to be conflating several concepts here and assuming malice.

I said it works, you said it doesn't and proceeded to describe situations where its still functional.

If they want to redesign it sure, but if they're going to require a login to access it, I'll complain. I even went as far as to make a youtube video over 9 years ago discussing Nvidia Control Panel and its nuances. 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

2 hours ago, Agall said:

3 hours ago, Agall said:

To be fair nobody said its not working in the way that it fails to apply settings for example. Everyone complains about it being slow and UI being glitchy. 

Even the comment you replied to while implying it's user error is pointing out the same issues you later use for defense yourself in a "yes, it's glitchy but the settings do work" kind of way. 

Screenshot_20240223-191913.png.5c03528a5f7ff57d7c40d3353c9d1a9c.png

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

To be fair nobody said its not working in the way that it fails to apply settings for example.

image.thumb.png.5f9d648b30aa2ae6feb117c2a8deee87.png

I find it reasonable to describe this reply as someone disagreeing with the statement along the lines of "it works, all it needs to do". 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

5 hours ago, Agall said:

I'll quote you again because you seem to have the memory of Dory the fish. Stop dodging with BS excuses.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I'll quote you again because you seem to have the memory of Dory the fish. Stop dodging with BS excuses.

Describing ways you're struggling with an application but still having it perform its function is what I've described. Regardless of how poorly you operate something, if it accomplished its purpose, its working.

Excuses for what? You still haven't provided an example of the Nvidia Control Panel not working.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

3 hours ago, Agall said:

Describing ways you're struggling with an application but still having it perform its function is what I've described. Regardless of how poorly you operate something, if it accomplished its purpose, its working.

Excuses for what? You still haven't provided an example of the Nvidia Control Panel not working.

Wow, I haven't read something so monumentally stupid in literal decade. So, menus can take seconds to open, flash, twitch, lag and stutter, but for as long as you eventually apply the setting in the end, nothing is broken in your book. What the f**k have I just read here?

On 2/22/2024 at 7:13 PM, Lurick said:

I'm fine with this replacing Geforce Failure Experience.

In the time between downloading a driver and then going back 5 minutes later to install it, I was logged out and couldn't install it without signing in, wtf.

yeah but be careful what you wish for... this might look more modern but that doesn't necessarily mean less boneheaded decisions from nvidia. 

also don't forget until recently gfe, especially the recording features have been buggy as hell, im pretty sure the so called overlay still is..

im not saying they shouldn't modernize stuff, but if its about crucial programs like this i definitely prefer function over form.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Reason I'm so involved is because what NVIDIA delivers us now will probably be around for another 20 years without any change to it. So, if it'll be broken just like old NVCP, we'll have to deal with that for another 2 decades again...

On 2/24/2024 at 6:43 AM, RejZoR said:

Reason I'm so involved is because what NVIDIA delivers us now will probably be around for another 20 years without any change to it. So, if it'll be broken just like old NVCP, we'll have to deal with that for another 2 decades again...

also watch the login coming back as it just "wasn't ready for the beta".

don't want to miss out on that convenient feature! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

also watch the login coming back as it just "wasn't ready for the beta".

don't want to miss out on that convenient feature! 

Of course you'll want all of your 3 custom settings saved to the cloud as a backup.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I don't mind updating the app and control panel. As long as its not removing aspects to make it "simple". Alot of there redesigns tend to remove features for the sake of "simple" and impact performance of the product.

They could just fix the current one and I wouldn't have issues with it despite it looking like a year 2004 relic. The glitching, twitching and jumping main graphic settings with weirdly placed descriptions are the biggest offender. The other is the list of apps and games for the profile. They are just garbled altogether with no sorting style like I don't know, alphabetically? Instead it's all over the place and while it searches for the name of the game by typing it in the dropdown menu, the first one that finds is automatically selected and since they are not sorted, you can be near what you were looking for or 30 entries away.

22 hours ago, Touch My Hamm said:

I don't mind updating the app and control panel. As long as its not removing aspects to make it "simple". Alot of there redesigns tend to remove features for the sake of "simple" and impact performance of the product.

watched a "review" yesterday's,  it indeed removes a lot of "unnecessary" 🙄 stuff.

HDR is still buggy, so are the Shadowplay abilities to record said HDR (hint: it apparently doesn't work) 

so yeah, this is a new skin, but fixes none of the underlying issues and any new features will probably be buggy, barely functional for years to come. 

overall looks flashy, might be faster, but ultimately fails to be a user friendly experience (ie half the stuff simply won't work) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity