Nvidia App goes beta

22 hours ago, RejZoR said:

They could just fix the current one and I wouldn't have issues with it despite it looking like a year 2004 relic. The glitching, twitching and jumping main graphic settings with weirdly placed descriptions are the biggest offender. The other is the list of apps and games for the profile. They are just garbled altogether with no sorting style like I don't know, alphabetically? Instead it's all over the place and while it searches for the name of the game by typing it in the dropdown menu, the first one that finds is automatically selected and since they are not sorted, you can be near what you were looking for or 30 entries away.

i agree,  but tbh, i think they can't... they could probably fix a lot of stuff, yes, but i bet there's so much ancient spaghetti code in it that they cannot ever fix the glitches,  the twitching, the weirdness,  the bugginess and slowness...

so i get why they make a new app, but unfortunately first impression is its a really low effort project... also why is it a beta, why not just release a fully functional product,  why does everything need a beta nowadays?  for testing?  well, half of the stuff doesn't work, no need to really test that lol. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i agree,  but tbh, i think they can't... they could probably fix a lot of stuff, yes, but i bet there's so much ancient spaghetti code in it that they cannot ever fix the glitches,  the twitching, the weirdness,  the bugginess and slowness...

so i get why they make a new app, but unfortunately first impression is its a really low effort project... also why is it a beta, why not just release a fully functional product,  why does everything need a beta nowadays?  for testing?  well, half of the stuff doesn't work, no need to really test that lol. 

Imagine being a 2 trillion company that can't code a f**king half usable driver control panel in 20 years... I swear a room full of baboons randomly slapping keyboards since 2004 would produce something nice to use by now and it wouldn't even be in BETA version.

oh joy /s

I hate AMDs 'control center' ..its way to bulky.

The NVCP is sooo much better, nice and concise, all it needs is added functionality for overclocking and such, but with the same UI style. I don't want a massive unwieldy bulky 'modern' UI. its entirely unnecessary and impractical.

Seriously, saying something is 'modern' doesn't make it better. new isnt always good, and a massive Ui with a crap tone of wasted space just for 'style' ..is BAD. Its not a game its utility program for crying out loud.

.... look at the size of that UI ..urgh ...you just know its going to be a compulsory 'upgrade' ...im rly not looking forward to this.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

10 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

oh joy /s

I hate AMDs 'control center' ..its way to bulky.

The NVCP is sooo much better, nice and concise, all it needs is added functionality for overclocking and such, but with the same UI style. I don't want a massive unwieldy bulky 'modern' UI. its entirely unnecessary and impractical.

Seriously, saying something is 'modern' doesn't make it better. new isnt always good, and a massive Ui with a crap tone of wasted space just for 'style' ..is BAD. Its not a game its utility program for crying out loud.

.... look at the size of that UI ..urgh ...you just know its going to be a compulsory 'upgrade' ...im rly not looking forward to this.

The fact that AMD's one instantly reacts to user input makes it billion times better. There is nothing more infuriating than having incredibly fast CPU, f**k ton of RAM, ultra fast SSD and RTX graphic card and then you wait some dumb 2D menu to load for seconds. ?!

I always hoped this would not occur, I hope the legacy UI is made available for those who want to continue using it. I am very used to the legacy UI and it works well.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:47 AM, NF-F12 said:

I always hoped this would not occur, I hope the legacy UI is made available for those who want to continue using it. I am very used to the legacy UI and it works well.

yeah thats the main problem,  it works now, its easy to use, if you want to change something it's very fast because you know where everything is and that it actually works. (i mean its not fast switching between tabs but overall that's still more convenient than learning a new, probably dodgy UI, the overall process is still very fast)

new app means you'll need to search forever (for the thing that you urgently need that's probably not there anymore)  and then if you found it, you can't be sure it actually works. 

it would be nice this actually fixes HDR though,  currently i cant record in HDR at all, Shadowplay just turns itself off when i turn HDR on...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/22/2024 at 9:42 AM, goodtofufriday said:

I still don't understand how it's 2024 and nvidia of all people still have a control panel from 2002

If windows proved anything it's that most people prefer the old style control panels even if they look a little dated.  Functionality to most people matters more than how it looks. Lets just hope it's not hot garbage.

I'm usually as lost as you are

44 minutes ago, BrandonT.05 said:

If windows proved anything it's that most people prefer the old style control panels even if they look a little dated.  Functionality to most people matters more than how it looks. Lets just hope it's not hot garbage.

There is a clear difference between preferring something known and whatever the F this outdated broken garbage from 2004 is. They could have done it better if they wanted back in 2004 already. I mean for F sake, we had NVMax if anyone remembered that one. Hell, NVIDIA had direct access to most common settings back in the day directly in taskbar's tray area. NVMax was snappy and sleek and didn't depend on this ancient Internet Explorer spaghetti code. Some random dude did it as a fan project and huge company like NVIDIA can't? Come on.

24 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

There is a clear difference between preferring something known and whatever the F this outdated broken garbage from 2004 is. They could have done it better if they wanted back in 2004 already. I mean for F sake, we had NVMax if anyone remembered that one. Hell, NVIDIA had direct access to most common settings back in the day directly in taskbar's tray area. NVMax was snappy and sleek and didn't depend on this ancient Internet Explorer spaghetti code. Some random dude did it as a fan project and huge company like NVIDIA can't? Come on.

My point is that I feel like I don't trust nvidia to make something as good as the old control panel functionality wise. Time can prove me wrong and I hope it does. Frankly, I think the fact they didn't do this years ago is a joke. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

2 hours ago, BrandonT.05 said:

My point is that I feel like I don't trust nvidia to make something as good as the old control panel functionality wise. Time can prove me wrong and I hope it does. Frankly, I think the fact they didn't do this years ago is a joke. 

They could easily shape it in a similar familiar way and get rid of the archaic Win9x limitations old one has. And without literal seconds long delays for opening and applying it. And it would be fine. But they'll instead invent something new, f**k it up and then not fix it for next 20 years.

I just tried the app yesterday and it's still missing most of the functionality of NVCP. Even brand new features like RTX HDR are present in NVCP but not in the app settings. The only redeeming value imo is the new and better overlay with more configuration options. I still have this weird issue where my mouse sensitivity is much lower on the overlay than in-game or on my desktop, so using it still feels unnecessarily weird.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I still have this weird issue where my mouse sensitivity is much lower on the overlay than in-game or on my desktop, so using it still feels unnecessarily weird.

I got that too in GFE but thankfully I rarely needed to access it in game. It feels like for whatever reason the Windows mouse settings are ignored while in game, which can kinda make sense since games take it over.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

25 minutes ago, porina said:

I got that too in GFE but thankfully I rarely needed to access it in game. It feels like for whatever reason the Windows mouse settings are ignored while in game, which can kinda make sense since games take it over.

My cursor sensitivity is the same as on my desktop for virtually every game I play. Obviously, there is a standard way to make your software behave this way. The only time a game has different sensitivity is when the resolution is different from the desktop resolution.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I was thinking more of games, especially 1st/3rd person games, where mouse affects camera you can usually alter sensitivity in game. I do agree that in general, where there is a pointer, it tends to track the correct pixel sensitivity.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible