Nvidia App goes beta

Summary

Nvidia App is basically a merge of GeForce Experience and a modernised Nvidia Control Panel all in one package.

Quotes

Whether you're a gaming enthusiast or a content creator, the NVIDIA app simplifies the process of keeping your PC updated with the latest NVIDIA drivers, and enables quick discovery and installation of NVIDIA applications like GeForce NOW, NVIDIA Broadcast and NVIDIA Omniverse.

Featuring a unified GPU control center, NVIDIA app allows fine-tuning of game and driver settings from a single place, while introducing a redesigned in-game overlay for convenient access to powerful gameplay recording tools, performance monitoring overlays, and game enhancing filters, including innovative new AI-powered filters for GeForce RTX users.

My thoughts

Finally, after all these years, and maybe pressure from Nvidia users due to the fact that AMD has modernised their app, Nvidia decided to pull the trigger and modernised their Nvidia Control Panel.

This new app is now 2-in-1 package, rather than having 2 different apps.

image.thumb.png.f6a4c1df80625b50146acc0dd0485c24.png

image.thumb.png.b708f692c969386b47821f600adb9bea.png

Since this is in beta, there are some missing features. The entire Display section found in the Control Panel is missing.

Plus, this basically upgrades the GeForce Experience app.

Sources

https://www.nvidia.com/en-my/geforce/news/nvidia-app-beta-download/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-my/software/nvidia-app/

We asked for better NVIDIA Control Panel, not more NVIDIA Experience bulls**t shoehorned into it. Sigh. I don't want stupid NVIDIA Experience and its stupid "library" and its stupid "optimizations".

We've gone from "This archaic control panel looks like it escaped from 2004" to "Just let me use the old archaic control panel that escaped from 2004)...

And I bet the interface will have all the stupid problems old one has, like descriptions being wonky, applying things being wonky, settings list jumping to the top on every selection etc... Because that just seems to be the NVIDIA way. They are the Apple of graphic cards...

4 minutes ago, Fasterthannothing said:

Looking good glad to not have to dig around the control panel 

Also glad that we won't have to wait a few seconds for the control panel to launch without any indication of progress or  "dummy window" of sorts, I hope you get what I mean

I still don't understand how it's 2024 and nvidia of all people still have a control panel from 2002

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

46 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I still don't understand how it's 2024 and nvidia of all people still have a control panel from 2002

Because it just works. What is wrong with it other than it looks old? And how would a new one fix that?

And the beta one is everything I hate about modern UI design.

44 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Boooooo

Nvidia Control Panel works, all it needs to do.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Just installed the App which replaces GFE for the moment. NVCP can still be accessed.

Had a quick look around. I guess it does what it intended to do in the merging of GFE and NVCP, at least at a surface level. I haven't gone through every little detail. It looks like they haven't fallen for the same trap AMD did in that the density of displayed content is ok. 

NVCP would be ok if it didn't have a weird delay to every action in it. GFE I only use for overlay/capture related, not the game optimisation. So App does seem like a successor to both.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

35 minutes ago, BabaGanuche said:

Because it just works. What is wrong with it other than it looks old? And how would a new one fix that?

21 minutes ago, Agall said:

Boooooo

The convenience of having everything in the same place is what I'm excited about.

Otherwise, hard agree.  Utility apps can look like Windows 95 for all I care as long as it actually works as advertised.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

2 hours ago, BabaGanuche said:

Not quite everything. At least they labelled the buttons with words instead of making you guess what the pictures mean.

I'm fine with this replacing Geforce Failure Experience.

In the time between downloading a driver and then going back 5 minutes later to install it, I was logged out and couldn't install it without signing in, wtf.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Techstorm970 said:

The convenience of having everything in the same place is what I'm excited about.

Otherwise, hard agree.  Utility apps can look like Windows 95 for all I care as long as it actually works as advertised.

What do you mean? For me the old control panel did everything I needed it to. What wasn't present that you want on it other than added garbage that adds unneeded complexity for those who don't want it? For me the biggest thing I would want is a control panel that is as light weight as possible while also being as functional as possible. The old control panel did that fairly well. 

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

What do you mean? For me the old control panel did everything I needed it to. What wasn't present that you want on it other than added garbage that adds unneeded complexity for those who don't want it? For me the biggest thing I would want is a control panel that is as light weight as possible while also being as functional as possible. The old control panel did that fairly well. 

I'm an IT admin and I'm fine with that, and even perer with, with all the utiliies i use for work.

but when i'm gaming and using my gaming PC that i spent thousands building and crafting, I'd like to see a little more pizaz in the uilities for the hardware im using. 

Its just a feeling/opnion and nothing more than that. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

31 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I'm an IT admin and I'm fine with that, and even perer with, with all the utiliies i use for work.

but when i'm gaming and using my gaming PC that i spent thousands building and crafting, I'd like to see a little more pizaz in the uilities for the hardware im using. 

Its just a feeling/opnion and nothing more than that. 

I guess I don't care that much so long as it's stable and works well. While adding pizazz doesn't always make things less stable or harder to run I do tend to see that usually being the case which is why I don't really want any added complexity. I mean I mostly use the nvidia control panel when troubleshooting or on initial setup of stuff. Maybe I will fiddle with it if I want to change resolution/refreshrate or gsync settings but other than that I don't tend to use it all that often. During those times I am not really looking for a cool looking program but one that let me do what I need to as easily as possible without limiting the capabilities of the program. 

AMD's software looks so much better than whatever this crap is. And it doesn't require a stupid login.

14 hours ago, Agall said:

Boooooo

Except it doesn't. It's full of dumb glitches and it has been this way for basically 20 years. I had a  Menu takes forever to open, graphic settings description is overlapped by settings so you need to scroll it just right to see setting description, the menu resets to the top every time you select/change anything, when you apply it flashes several times and takes like 3 seconds to apply. On a modern system with cores, RAM and SSD speeds to throw around. Not to mention it's clumsy to use.

I'd have less of an issue if NVIDIA just made it more responsive and glitch free even if it looked the same. But I had that opinion some 15 years ago. Been demanding total redesign for like a decade.

Don't mind NVCP's Windows XP looking interface, but it is laggy as hell, this may be a welcome change.

Now if only they also add a feature to adjust GPU clocks and volts, just like AMD's Adrenalin software.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

17 hours ago, BabaGanuche said:

What is wrong with it other than it looks old?

It's extremely slow and cumbersome to use. Applying stuff takes a while and switching between stuff takes a while, it's just annoying to use if you change settings frequently.

13 hours ago, Senzelian said:

AMD's software looks so much better than whatever this crap is. And it doesn't require a stupid login.

That's the problem I had with AMD's interface. It was made to look good, not good to use. It is far too low density for the amount of stuff.

Believe login is no longer needed for App.

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

It's extremely slow and cumbersome to use. Applying stuff takes a while and switching between stuff takes a while, it's just annoying to use if you change settings frequently.

I am curious what people tinker with in settings. I only ever poke around rarely, if I'm testing things like DSR or VSR. What's the use case for visiting "regularly"?

Anyway, I'm seeing the limitations in the beta of App already. The settings exposed through it are far from complete. I was testing VSR yesterday and I don't see it exposed there. Still, early days and I hope it will become feature complete by the time it leaves beta.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, porina said:

Anyway, I'm seeing the limitations in the beta of App already. The settings exposed through it are far from complete. I was testing VSR yesterday and I don't see it exposed there. Still, early days and I hope it will become feature complete by the time it leaves beta.

I was using it often mostly just to change the FPS cap. 

And when I was benchmarking I had to tweak more stuff, usually turn some stuff OFF for benching then ON after I finished. It was always annoying. 

Also I still can't fugure out why NVIDIA keeps defaulting to Limited sRGB on monitors instead of Full so sometimes after I unplugged monitor and plugged it back in later I had to adjust that as well. 

Also it's not just that it was slow but also buggy. Sometimes it just refreshed while I was changing settings and reverted my changes. 

Or just froze for couple seconds. 

AMD interface is much faster than that but I completely agree with you that it's also annoying and "slow". It's faster than NVCP but not as fast as people make it out to be and I can't for the life of me remember where anything is because of the almost infinite amount of submenus. 

28 minutes ago, WereCat said:

And when I was benchmarking I had to tweak more stuff, usually turn some stuff OFF for benching then ON after I finished. It was always annoying. 

I get that, but I view benching as a special case. You only really need to do that if benching competitively and often that is best done on a dedicated system.

Also I still can't fugure out why NVIDIA keeps defaulting to Limited sRGB on monitors instead of Full so sometimes after I unplugged monitor and plugged it back in later I had to adjust that as well. 

Might be a hang over from when monitors sucked more? Is it actually gamut? I might be thinking of the HDMI dynamic range setting.

Also it's not just that it was slow but also buggy. Sometimes it just refreshed while I was changing settings and reverted my changes. 

Or just froze for couple seconds. 

Yup, definitely not welcome.

AMD interface is much faster than that but I completely agree with you that it's also annoying and "slow". It's faster than NVCP but not as fast as people make it out to be and I can't for the life of me remember where anything is because of the almost infinite amount of submenus. 

It's been a while since I used it. I do recall having to turn off all the pointless animation effects so it is more responsive. I'd guess finding the settings faster would come over time the more you use it. I don't recall splitting settings over too many submenus to be a major problem. My personal gripe remains that the settings they do show are spaced unnecessarily apart (maybe to cater for touch?) so you only see a handful on a screen when ideally you could see a whole bunch more at once.

36 minutes ago, porina said:

It's been a while since I used it. I do recall having to turn off all the pointless animation effects so it is more responsive. I'd guess finding the settings faster would come over time the more you use it. I don't recall splitting settings over too many submenus to be a major problem. My personal gripe remains that the settings they do show are spaced unnecessarily apart (maybe to cater for touch?) so you only see a handful on a screen when ideally you could see a whole bunch more at once.

I feel like it's responsive enough and animations don't bother me. It's just that switching between tabs takes about half a second at least but as long as you're changing stuff in a given tab it's fine. 

Initial setup has me to go trough multiple tabs to configure all my stuff but after I just mainly use the Performance tab. 

The issue for me is that I prefer to DDU before driver install so it requires me to setup stuff more often than I would otherwise do. 

But I also don't tend to update to every driver, only if I run into an issue or if new driver introduces some new features I like to try like AFMF recently. 

Same thing goes to NVCP when I had NVIDIA card. But I didn't do DDU before every driver update like I do with AMD. 

15 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Let me just use this with my Nvidia GPU.....

This new version doesn't require a login, only the old GeFail Experience did

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: