[School assignment] What would YOU WANT in an ideal GPU anti-sag solution ?

Go to solution Solved by Quackwich,
28 minutes ago, Roofus said:

The title says it all.

I need this for a school design project where I need to provide a couple of points about "user needs." 

Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated, Thanks!

Something that can not only fit nicely into the case, but is sturdy and easy to assemble. I've found that the ones that mount directly to the PCI brackets are the most finicky, so free standing ones are the best bet.

In terms of design, I'd like for my ideal GPU bracket to fit seamlessly with the case, like it's an accessory from the case or GPU manufacturer. If you look at beefy GPUs (RTX 3090s or 4090s) some manufacturers include an anti-sag bracket, especially for the higher end cards, maybe you can draw inspiration from there. Hope this helps!

The title says it all.

I need this for a school design project where I need to provide a couple of points about "user needs." 

15 minutes ago, Roofus said:

The title says it all.

I dunno man, Seems pretty obvious. I want it to stop the GPU from sagging.

The best solution in my mind is graphics cards that are smaller and lighter, and/or more rigid and robust PCIe slots.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I dunno man, Seems pretty obvious. I want it to stop the GPU from sagging.

I mean yeah that's pretty clear but like what about costs or size or any other detail?

Thank you for the reply tho.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The best solution in my mind is graphics cards that are smaller and lighter, and/or more rigid and robust PCIe slots.

Yeah that would be the best approach but this is for my product design project so I'm looking at this from a "what can this product do" angle.

28 minutes ago, Roofus said:

The title says it all.

Something that can not only fit nicely into the case, but is sturdy and easy to assemble. I've found that the ones that mount directly to the PCI brackets are the most finicky, so free standing ones are the best bet.

In terms of design, I'd like for my ideal GPU bracket to fit seamlessly with the case, like it's an accessory from the case or GPU manufacturer. If you look at beefy GPUs (RTX 3090s or 4090s) some manufacturers include an anti-sag bracket, especially for the higher end cards, maybe you can draw inspiration from there. Hope this helps!

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

Some say a picture is worth a thoysand words, so here I’m attaching a picture with some comment

Sag happened because of gravity pulling the unhinged area of GPU against the opposite side. Thus by adding support bracket on the unhinged side should eliminate the sagging, henceforth sag support stand/stick.

IMG_4621.jpeg

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Fishing line but marketed to gamers with rgb.

On 2/8/2024 at 7:56 PM, 8tg said:

Fishing line but marketed to gamers with rgb.

Based

Honestly, a more robust pci-e socket for GPU slot that allows the GPU manufacturers to build in a more robust support system. This problem is only going to get worse as more and more weight is added to each generation of GPU to keep it cool.

It isn't as bad on a water-cooled GPU, but copper blocks aren't exactly light either.

For example, if the socket slot was a little taller and extended to maybe 2/3rs of the longer cards and was for nothing more than adding support (no additional communication channels)  it could help a lot.

i would never want one. its not happening.  really quite simple 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Honestly, a more robust pci-e socket for GPU slot that allows the GPU manufacturers to build in a more robust support system. This problem is only going to get worse as more and more weight is added to each generation of GPU to keep it cool.

It isn't as bad on a water-cooled GPU, but copper blocks aren't exactly light either.

For example, if the socket slot was a little taller and extended to maybe 2/3rs of the longer cards and was for nothing more than adding support (no additional communication channels)  it could help a lot.

what is funny, its almost always the actual pc casing fault as that's what secures the card, and not necessarily the size of the card. so if you're using any of those hip , expensive, but cheaply made "mesh" cases you probably need a "card holder" ... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

what is funny, its almost always the actual pc casing fault as that's what secures the card, and not necessarily the size of the card. so if you're using any of those hip , expensive, but cheaply made "mesh" cases you probably need a "card holder" ... 

I see your point, but on the high-end cards they are long, wide, and heavy. They are support a little bit by the socket which is about 3.5" for a pci-e 16x slot. Then you have the fact the remaining end of the card (that sags) is another 7+ inches out (High end cards can be 10-13+ inches long!). That means all that is holding that card in place is the presence of the socket connection and the 1-3 Case screws on the very front of the card that keep it in place. This doesn't really do anything for the 7+ inches in the back of the card which is where the sag happens.

One solution is to vertically mount the cards which is becoming a more and more common option on newer cases. Outside of that though you need a way to give the car more stability in the rear.