Funimation users will not be able to keep purchased media after Crunchyroll merger

FrostBittn
3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If you have a physical copy without DRM restrictions

There is no such thing in existence outside of pirate sites. Each disk.is encrypted and decryption keys can be very easily revokex through updates.

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

for me its steam and google library/movies, although google might not have full control either but has more of an chance to stay around or maybe let us keep what is bought.

Google also kills way too many things for me to touch anything they release like that. 

Yarr, harr, fiddle dee dee,
Being a pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want, 'cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

It's not like the money paid to crunchyroll is being spent on animators anyway so why bother.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 minutes ago, williamcll said:

It's not like the money paid to crunchyroll is being spent on animators anyway so why bother.

That isnt true, CR has put money into the production of quite a few shows.

23 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Production ≠ Animators

Most of the money gets lost in management. We're reaching a point where offshore/outsourced animators from South Korea and China gets paid better.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

15 hours ago, starsmine said:

You mean trash like High-guardian spice.

Which is one of their most hated "Crunchyroll originals". hated from the moment it was announced, because its not anime, and not what their customerbase wants.

The show that was soo bad it had to resort to stealing STOCK-photo's just to meet the "budget".

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/2239829-high-guardian-spice

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

15 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

You mean trash like High-guardian spice.

Which is one of their most hated "Crunchyroll originals". hated from the moment it was announced, because its not anime, and not what their customerbase wants.

The show that was soo bad it had to resort to stealing STOCK-photo's just to meet the "budget".

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/2239829-high-guardian-spice

I mean like Solo Leveling or Tower of God. There are at least a dozen more. If you bring up a meme one I woulda expected ex-arm. 

Also bringing that show up as your example isnt telling at all. not saying the show is good, but its a weird one to bring up

15 hours ago, williamcll said:

Production ≠ Animators

Most of the money gets lost in management. We're reaching a point where offshore/outsourced animators from South Korea and China gets paid better.

Yes Animation Studios, famously do not get their pay checks from the production companies. They just get their money from thin air.

Also CR isn't paying producers, they ARE one of the producers.

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

I mean like Solo Leveling or Tower of God. There are at least a dozen more. If you bring up a meme one I woulda expected ex-arm. 

Also bringing that show up as your example isnt telling at all. not saying the show is good, but its a weird one to bring up

None of these CR put money in to their creation. That's like saying all Netflix originals were funded by Netflix in their creation which would absolutely be false.

What they have is the exclusive streaming rights, branded as "[company name] Original" but in no way had anything at all to do with their creation. Unlike High-guardian spice which CR was directly involved in the creation.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

None of these CR put money in to their creation. That's like saying all Netflix originals were funded by Netflix in their creation which would absolutely be false.

What they have is the exclusive streaming rights, branded as "[company name] Original" but in no way had anything at all to do with their creation. Unlike High-guardian spice which CR was directly involved in the creation.

Im not talking about exclusive streaming rights

Yes there is a difference between Netflix Originals and Netflix Originals (thanks for that Netflix)

CR didnt just have exclusive rights to the shows I brought up, they footed part of the bill in production and had sway. 

2 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Im not talking about exclusive streaming rights

Yes there is a difference between Netflix Originals and Netflix Originals (thanks for that Netflix)

CR didnt just have exclusive rights to the shows I brought up, they footed part of the bill in production and had sway. 

All anime you mentioned were only streaming rights, CR was not involved.

Yes you were not talking about streaming rights, you were wrong which is what I am saying.

Only High-guardian spice thus far from the named anime mentioned is applicable.

Just now, leadeater said:

All anime you mentioned were only streaming rights, CR was not involved.

Yes you were not talking about streaming rights, you were wrong which is what I am saying.

Only High-guardian spice thus far from the named anime mentioned is applicable.

Ex arm and Tower of god are not just exclusive streaming rights. 
CR WAS Involved

@starsmine

As to illustrate the point, you can look up the rest.

Solo Leveling:

image.png.60325bde8d0b98b2cdddd81578f1fd35.png

An anime television series adaptation was announced at Anime Expo 2022. It was produced by A-1 Pictures and directed by Shunsuke Nakashige, with Noboru Kimura writing the scripts, Tomoko Sudo designing the characters, and Hiroyuki Sawano composing the music.[61] It was originally scheduled for 2023,[61] but was later delayed,[8] and eventually premiered on January 7, 2024, on Tokyo MX and other networks.[a] Crunchyroll is streaming the series on January 6, 2024, in North America, Central America, South America, Europe, Africa, Oceania, the Middle East, CIS,[63] and India.[64] The first episodes were screened from December 2023 in Tokyo, Seoul, Los Angeles, India, and Europe.[65]

The opening theme is "Level" by Sawano and Tomorrow X Together,[66] while the ending theme is "Request" by Krage.[62] Crunchyroll licensed the series outside China, Japan, and South Korea.[61] Medialink licensed the series in Southeast Asia and Oceania (except Australia and New Zealand).[67][68]

Notice how CR was not involved at all in any way except for acquiring the streaming rights.

1 minute ago, starsmine said:

Tower of god are not just exclusive streaming rights. 

An anime television series adaptation was initially announced at Seoul Comic-Con in August 2019, the series titled Kami no Tō -Tower of God- (神之塔 -Tower of God-) began releasing in April 2020 simultaneously in Japan, South Korea, and the United States.[35][36] It was produced by Telecom Animation Film, with Aniplex subsidiary Rialto Entertainment responsible for Japanese production, and Sola Entertainment providing production management.[36][37] The anime series premiered in South Korea on April 1, 2020, on Naver Series On and Korean television network Aniplus,[38] and aired from April 2 to June 24, 2020, on Japanese television.[a] The series was directed by Takashi Sano with Hirokazu Hanai as assistant director. Erika Yoshida was in charge of series composition, Masashi Kudo and Miho Tanino were the series' character designers, and Kevin Penkin composed the soundtrack.[39] Korean band Stray Kids performed the opening "Top",[40] and ending theme song "Slump" in Japanese, English, and Korean for the respective language dubs. The series ran for 13 episodes.[41]

Crunchyroll streamed the Japanese broadcast of the series as a co-production under its "Crunchyroll Originals" title.[36][42][43] Viz Media has licensed the series for home video distribution in North America and has been released on Blu-ray on January 18, 2022.[44][45]

In August 2022, during their industry panel at Crunchyroll Expo, Crunchyroll announced that a second season was in production.[46] It is set to premiere in July 2024.[47]

Second season maybe, they were still only and probably still are only a streaming rights holder and nothing more.

You know I did say what I did because I actually checked before saying...

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Second season maybe, they were still only and probably still are only a streaming rights holder and nothing more.

You know I did say what I did because I actually checked before saying...

As did I. I used to work on databases for collecting this information. 

3 minutes ago, starsmine said:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=23068
image.png.0112bb22ab0034cc69bb728d8249bdd3.png

Notice how the production staff is half crunchy roll

These are personal investments, both those CR employees have been executive produces on many things. Just click on their link names and have a look. Just because they have put money in to something doesn't mean "CR" has.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

These are personal investments, both those CR employees have been executive produces on many things. Just click on their link names and have a look. Just because they have put money in to something doesn't mean "CR" has.

They were working for CR when they did this. This wasn't them moonlighting. This was with CR's money not their personal money.

Producers of tower of God
image.png.c54abab93a3c927d70136742d4e29a09.png

Ex-ARM also uses CR

image.png.b6f8e4d06749c8ceb671513b06c4efa4.png

Like I did misremember Solo Leveling, That one is just a CR exclusive not a production. You could have gone after that one. but the others I brought up are 100% partially produced by CR.

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

They were working for CR when they did this. This wasn't them moonlighting. This was with CR's money not their personal money.

Producers of tower of God
image.png.c54abab93a3c927d70136742d4e29a09.png

Ex-ARM also uses CR

image.png.b6f8e4d06749c8ceb671513b06c4efa4.png

Yes, you're right (ToG). For the English translation. To that I would say big deal. For the Japanese actual production they didn't do anything.

Also it doesn't really matter who someone is working for if they want to invest in something unless they are being named for the company itself, which can be either way. You are probably right it is CR money in this instance. However for example Hollywood executive producers are just "rich people" putting money in to movies they either want to see or think will make money and aren't whatever company they are currently working for (usually their own anyway for accounting/tax reasons).

Reading the actual information about the production of it leads to nothing about CR so the important question would be "how much do you actually think they were involved". The only thing I would attribute CR to in this would be the English translation which they are credited for, keep scrolling down that page and look on the left.

And since these sites are, even Wikipedia, not even official information just stuff people put together doesn't make them correct. Other similar sources list CR like this

image.png.d9ceaae70dcfe2417a25ae80d4b038ff.png

Note "Licensor"

Unfortunately I cannot read Japanese so reading the credits on CR only tells me they are not credited in English text (i.e. Dogwood) while on the English version they are.

What I however actually object to is giving companies way more credit than they actually should be getting, CR here in most of what you mentioned. Point being Tower of God would have been made without CR and aired on Japanese TV.

I mean not even CR themselves took any production credit claims in their own announcement.

Crunchyroll just announced the first eight titles in the inaugural slate of Crunchyroll Originals, including the hotly-anticipated anime adaptation of SIU's WEBTOON series Tower of God. Produced by Telecom Animation Film, Tower of God is set to kick off on Crunchyroll April 1, 2020.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/latest/2020/2/25/tower-of-god-anime-debuts-as-crunchyroll-original-this-april

Tower of God is as far as I am concerned a "Netflix Original" and not the good version of that.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:46 PM, leadeater said:

Tower of God is as far as I am concerned a "Netflix Original" and not the good version of that.

It's a Korean "webtoon" first. And the anime basically is just following the webcomic as a storyboard, and since it's so drawn out, well, calling it a "crunchyroll original" is more like "crunchyroll paid to have it localized" in the same way "netflix original" does for anime and korean drama's. When they are in the press it's "Netflix's (licensed property)" when the reality is that they are only really responsible for the localization in some properties, and are more involved in others (see "Black Mirror", which has more than once self-referenced Netflix, or a parody of Netflix in the show.) 

We'll only know what "executive producer" did if they actually say so, because as they say "executive producer" is the equal of "put my name on it in exchange for money"

We need more competition in the space, or Crunchyroll is gonna continue declining.

Their website has never really worked correctly. The way they split seasons and movies doesn't work for their own auto-play/next feature, and non-English language subs/dubs are still a mess.

It feels like their translations and subbing get a little worse every season. Lots of missing dialogue, and it doesn't seem like they ever fix it, even for their headliner shows (like JJK and Solo Leveling).

13 minutes ago, brningpyre said:

We need more competition in the space, or Crunchyroll is gonna continue declining.

Their website has never really worked correctly. The way they split seasons and movies doesn't work for their own auto-play/next feature, and non-English language subs/dubs are still a mess.

It feels like their translations and subbing get a little worse every season. Lots of missing dialogue, and it doesn't seem like they ever fix it, even for their headliner shows (like JJK and Solo Leveling).

HiDive/Sentai got purchased by AMC a couple of years ago. 

Go support them.