France Orders More Than 1,860 Trains The Wrong Size

qwertywarrior

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/8816/france-orders-more-than-1-860-trains-the-wrong-size.html

Someone's about to lose their job. It turns out that France's national rail company SNCF has ordered 1,860 trains in the wrong size, meaning that they cannot even be used on the country's current rail system. The mistake was "a comic drama" according to France's Minister of Transport and as hilarious as it may be, how in the world do you return or deal with more than 1,000 trains?

No one is entirely sure how the mistake occurred but some people are placing the blame on engineers for the rail company who must have made a couple of incorrect measurements.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't know what to do except laugh at their stupidity. 

The wrong size? Like it won't fit into the French rail gauge?

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

how the fuck do you order the wrong size trains...  I mean... it's a fkn train for crying out loud

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So... who wants to bet it's because of some mistake in conversion from imperial to metric.

If your question is "Where would they be getting imperial measurements?" ... exactly.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

SNCF's failure to verify measurements results in cost of €50m to modify 1,300 platforms in one in six regional stations

lol. i thought i was bad with maths ,atleast it never cost me 50M €

SNCF-train-012.jpg?width=620&height=-&qu

source

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

someone put the decimal in the wrong spot...... 

In a similar respect:

http://www.mtlblog.com/2014/04/montreals-all-new-stm-metro-cars-dont-fit-in-the-tunnels/#

Looks like all french have something in common  :P

what did SNC Lavalin do all the engineering work on that?  :P

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So... who wants to bet it's because of some mistake in conversion from imperial to metric.

If your question is "Where would they be getting imperial measurements?" ... exactly.

I'd love to see someone see 7 feet and order a train 7 meters wide...

I'd love to see someone see 7 feet and order a train 7 meters wide...

people screw it up with doors all the time actually quite funny..... but not trains. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

people screw it up with doors all the time actually quite funny..... but not trains. 

Everyone should just use the metric system for everything. It makes sense and is more precise.

Everyone should just use the metric system for everything. It makes sense and is more precise.

with one addition to the metric system though. I find it really, really annoying that the "Centimeter' is really small in comparison to a "meter" and that there is nothing in between to represent ie: 10cm. So a metric alternative to the "foot" would be nice as I find myself talk in CM and meters and KM but then refer to some lengths as feet.....

Spoiler

with one addition to the metric system though. I find it really, really annoying that the "Centimeter' is really small in comparison to a "meter" and that there is nothing in between to represent ie: 10cm. So a metric alternative to the "foot" would be nice as I find myself talk in CM and meters and KM but then refer to some lengths as feet.....

Yes there is? It's Deki, or deci... something like that... I'll google it.

Aha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix

The wrong size? Like it won't fit into the French rail gauge?

They ordered them thinking that all the stations were the same size, but turns out that there are hundreds of older stations that are smaller

Lord Pantaloons, on 30 Nov 2014 - 7:32 PM, said: If Lawrence leaves his house and travels at a constant 40 MPH. How long will it take Bill from next door to shove a banana up his mom's rectum?

FX-6300Gigabyte R9 270X 4 GB OCWD Blue 1 TBCorsair Carbide 300RArctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2Silverstone Strider Essential 500WAsus M5A97 R2.0Dell P2314HYamaha HTR-5740Mordaunt-Short Avant 309iSuperlux HD-668 BCooler Master CM Storm Quickfire UltimateGigabyte M6900Oneplus One 64 GB

well it exists but no one says that fridge is 3.5 decimetres long. A metric ruler has mm and cm not dm
Spoiler

3.5 decimetres

Is that a typo? I feel like some people spell meter as metre for some reason. Not sure...

Edit: Did a Google,

me·ter1
ˈmētər/Submit
noun
noun: metre
the fundamental unit of length in the metric system, equal to 100 centimeters or approximately 39.37 inches.
a race over a specified number of meters.
plural noun: —— metres; plural noun: —— meters
"he placed third in the 1,000 meters"

All my wat. Is that just an English (as in the people) thing? I don't get it. I guess it's just an alternative spelling.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

this just made my day!

it would call it priceless!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Is that a typo? I feel like some people spell meter as metre for some reason. Not sure...

Edit: Did a Google,

me·ter1

ˈmētər/Submit

noun

noun: metre

the fundamental unit of length in the metric system, equal to 100 centimeters or approximately 39.37 inches.

a race over a specified number of meters.

plural noun: —— metres; plural noun: —— meters

"he placed third in the 1,000 meters"

All my wat. Is that just an English (as in the people) thing? I don't get it. I guess it's just an alternative spelling.

i believe Americans spell it meter and brits spell it metre. Being in canada im stuck between the two so i use it both ways.
Spoiler

well it exists but no one says that fridge is 3.5 decimetres long. A metric ruler has mm and cm not dm

And the great thing about metrics is that all you have to do is move the decimal place and get your answer in a manageable number. :P

And the great thing about metrics is that all you have to do is move the decimal place and get your answer in a manageable number. :P

Yep. never said it bad just I wish some units within the system were used more. 

Spoiler

Yeah I read this like 3 days ago, hilarious stuff.

And I thought Danmarks government had done some dumb shit in the past.

1. Like paying for a new IT system for our police, which turned out to be a failure (1 billion)

2. Using Java for our bank system and then after a year of complaining from IT expert, they finally agreed to switch to Java script instead.

3. Ordering trains (ic4) which ended being late, by 5 years! And they ended up paying for it anyway -_-

But hey, now we can laugh at other than the USA government :-D (no offense)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz