YouTube upping the ante against ad blockers

I am a long time viewer, first time poster.

Following on the growing battle between YouTube and ad blockers, which even made it to the WAN show, it appears they may have made their next move.

Starting today, the entire YT site became completely broken when the Brave Shield (ad blocker). The home page does not load at all until I open the menu and click home. Meanwhile, opening a video in a new tab (or reopening/refreshing) causes the video to load off center and no comments or other artifacts to load. The video still plays, but full screen is completely broken.

Furthermore, going to the home page, or back to a functional page from this broken page will result in the video overlay permanently pinned on the page until the page is refreshed or another site visited.

I have not updated Brave for probably a couple of months at least, meaning it is clearly time to update and hope that resolves it, but having me change nothing on my end and this to suddenly happen means YT must have changed something on their end, and it is clearly targeting ad blockers.

I will attach the screenshots of how it has broken with the brave ad blocker running (and one with it turned off). It could just be an unfortunate coincidence between my current version of Brave and some change on their back end that wasn't intended to have this effect, but that is just hopeful supposition.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what are your thoughts on this movement?

2024-01-29 18-38-34 broken video.png

2024-01-29 18-48-37 broken homepage.png

2024-01-29 18-56-13 in built ad blocker off.png

2024-01-29 19-01-44 pressing back from broken video.png

2024-01-29 19-02-16 going to home page from broken video.png

I can confirm, for anybody still on an older version of brave, updating to the latest and greatest does fix it. The sudden change does still demonstrate YT's ongoing war against ad blockers, even if you are a premium subscriber.

Have still 0 issue with UBlock Origin, and won't ever go "premium" 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

> Moved to Programs, Apps, and Websites

Youtube is working fine for me in the latest version of Brave browser with Brave's ad blocking set to aggressive.

1 minute ago, Wolfick said:

I can confirm, for anybody still on an older version of brave, updating to the latest and greatest does fix it. The sudden change does still demonstrate YT's ongoing war against ad blockers, even if you are a premium subscriber.

...? Seems pretty reckless to blame this on Youtube. Just like how everybody blamed Youtube for slowing down adblock users when it turned out to be a bug in Adblock and had nothing to do with Youtube.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

No problem at all, I found a bunch of YT related post in general while this sub forum seemed to have less YT related content, so I though it was a better fit over there.

As I stated:

It could just be an unfortunate coincidence between my current version of Brave and some change on their back end that wasn't intended to have this effect

I completely agree in regards with jumping to conclusions and blaming youtube, such as how the adblock interfering with video buffering drama unfolded. However, if nothing has changed on my end, something must have changed on their end, and that something was directly conflicting with my ad blocker.

Edit: I could very obviously be entirely wrong about it and what was changed wasn't even related to combating ad blockers. Given that they have tested slowing down other browsers in the past though (I didn't hear any news of that being disproved), I am not in the mindset to automatically assign it as coincidence and instead feel highly skeptical.

Youtube definitely has burnt a lot of trust with people over the years so I do understand why people jump to these conclusions. I just don't think we should pick up the pitchforks every time something breaks before it has been verified to actually be caused by Youtube and to be intentional.

It doesn't really make much sense for Youtube to intentionally break the website on an outdated version of Brave browser to combat ad blocking. It's more likely that either Youtube changed something and it just didn't work on older browsers, or it was just an error that occurred when you loaded the page and stayed cached and updating the browser fixed it.

Before updating the browser did you try closing the browser and opening it again, clearing cache, etc?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Before updating the browser did you try closing the browser and opening it again, clearing cache, etc?

Of course, I even tried a full reboot in case it was something related to how my system was executing Brave; some failed or partially failed module/plugin etc.

This was happening with 100% consistency through and through, no matter how many different videos, tabs, or even windows I tried. Perhaps whatever change could indeed just be dysfunctional with older browsers, but turning off the ad blocker immediately fixed every issue (before updating the browser).

I have not stated nor claimed they caused this result of breaking the web page intentionally, but that they have made some form of change, and that change was in conflict with my ad blocker and has resulted in the web page being broken. Given their history of targeting ad blockers, and this apparent change has caused a conflict with my outdated ad blocker, it is not a blind assessment to state this is clear evidence of an active ongoing progress of targeting ad blockers.

The purpose of the post is not to raise pitchforks. It is to a) ask if others have started experiencing similar (or even just somewhat related) issues as of recent, and b) open a discussion on the thoughts towards youtube's ongoing efforts to have people disable ad blockers. It is indeed not verified, but the question towards others needs to be raised for it to be. If everyone had to be silent on the matter until some larger media company/outlet happen to notice something and hopefully verified it with their own investigation, how is that any different from censorship?

Perhaps I could have worded it differently, but I have intended for the assessment to be a reasonable and question to others to be fair.

Instead it just feels I have attracted ire and am being considered the stupid person who should have just kept their mouth shut.

look its possible youtube changed something,  but actually they do this all the time, that's why ublock updates daily,  sometimes even more than once afaik...  so if you forever didn't update its no surprise something broke... basically yes, you're drawing the wrong conclusions, or use inadequate software,  ublock + chrome still works, 99% of the time at least. 

like sure i understand how you came to your conclusions but they don't seem to be entirely correct.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity