Planning to buy Nintendo

Ayush008

Hey guys & gals

Hope you all are doing well

Stay safe and healthy 

(Remember- your opinions are highly valuable for me) 

As we all know that we have various platform through which we can satisfied our need and desires.. Recently I made a bad deal buying Xbox for only backward compatibility. Just now a light flash in mind and was planning to sell Xbox and buy Nintendo switch but I also know that Nintendo will launch switch 2 or something...

I just Want to make sure that I don't want to make another bad deal...

Please suggest me the right way

According to all the rumors, there will be a new switch in the second half of this year. It will, however, be a bit more expensive ~$400 to $450. At least according to the rumors. They might hit $350, but that remains to be seen.

If you just want to play a few switch games, the way to go currently is just getting a steam deck and then emulate the switch games. That way you can play a lot of great PC games, as well as switch games in higher fidelity than the switch allows. If you like, you can even do this morally correct by buying the actual switch games, before you get the rom files from somewhere else.

You will have to deal with the hassle of emulating, if you go this route though. Some games won't work as well as on the real hardware, and sometimes you get some visual bugs. For example in the latest Zelda game, the switch is able to sort the "objects" it draws to your screen in a certain way, that allows for some very efficient transparency effects. PC GPUs don't have calls for this, so the "objects" are drawn at random, and you see some flickering. In that game, specifically whenever there is lava.

But most games work well enough, mostly better than on the switch itself and there is a large community for people emulating switch games on the steam deck. So you are likely to find answers to any problems you encounter fairly quickly.

Have a computer? You can emulate some games from switch and wait out till the new switch whatever comes around

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Have a computer? You can emulate some games from switch and wait out till the new switch whatever comes around

Thnx @jaslion

For sharing your opion. Would you be so kind to tell me the procedure? I'm actually new for emulating n all

3 minutes ago, Ayush008 said:

Thnx @jaslion

For sharing your opion. Would you be so kind to tell me the procedure? I'm actually new for emulating n all

https://yuzu-emu.org/

Basically follow their guide

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

https://yuzu-emu.org/

Basically follow their guide

Thnx for your effort bro but it will be really helpful if you can tell me the steps here in  short 

2 hours ago, Ayush008 said:

Thnx for your effort bro but it will be really helpful if you can tell me the steps here in  short 

I mean

Have a game downloaded

Open the emulator

Turn on vulkan in gpu settings

Open the game

Let it run for a minute to build shaders

Play and when you take a break just leave it paused or something to build shaders. Shaders are copyrighted so they are built on the fly for your pc.

the end

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

So I don't need switch 

1 hour ago, Ayush008 said:

So I don't need switch 

I dunno up to yiu

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 8:48 AM, adm0n said:

According to all the rumors, there will be a new switch in the second half of this year. It will, however, be a bit more expensive ~$400 to $450. At least according to the rumors. They might hit $350, but that remains to be seen.

If you just want to play a few switch games, the way to go currently is just getting a steam deck and then emulate the switch games. That way you can play a lot of great PC games, as well as switch games in higher fidelity than the switch allows. If you like, you can even do this morally correct by buying the actual switch games, before you get the rom files from somewhere else.

You will have to deal with the hassle of emulating, if you go this route though. Some games won't work as well as on the real hardware, and sometimes you get some visual bugs. For example in the latest Zelda game, the switch is able to sort the "objects" it draws to your screen in a certain way, that allows for some very efficient transparency effects. PC GPUs don't have calls for this, so the "objects" are drawn at random, and you see some flickering. In that game, specifically whenever there is lava.

But most games work well enough, mostly better than on the switch itself and there is a large community for people emulating switch games on the steam deck. So you are likely to find answers to any problems you encounter fairly quickly.

That’s called piracy and it’s illegal 

On 1/18/2024 at 8:10 PM, Ayush008 said:

So I don't need switch 

Yes you do. Emulating the games is piracy and fairly illegal. Buy a switch and support the devs if you went to play a game. 

On 2/9/2024 at 7:35 AM, RabbidEwok said:

That’s called piracy and it’s illegal 

Not if you dump your own games genius

no one has ever been charged with downloading a rom or playing an emulator and no one will. it cost too much to go after one person. if anything it be like the muisc industry is if you get coght they get you to pay a small fine of $1000 to $3000 and let it be a lesson. if you own a rom site then ya they will go after you but its mostly ninteno titals. but i mean if you cant download it off there store then ied say fuge it fare game.

if there was a "law" on it what would best cover your ass is to have a dumper, have the console, own the game. there places around the world were you can do w/e you want as long as you paid for the game. (Canada and us is not that)

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

7 hours ago, MrGibbous said:

Not if you dump your own games genius

You are circumnavigating DRM and yes it’s illegal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 11:52 AM, RabbidEwok said:

You are circumnavigating DRM and yes it’s illegal. 

There is no DRM on the switch games. You are basically just pulling the files of the cartridge, which is totally legal. An emulator can read those files in the same way a normal switch can (that's why you have to dump some other files from the switch as well). It gets illegal the moment you start sharing them without having a license.

But more than worrying about what's legal and not, I'd worry about what is morally correct.
And I'd say buying the game cartridge and then obtaining the files from any other source, is a valid way to go about it. You are not only still supporting the developers, you also don't have to buy a console, that will be EOL next year and has hardware from ~9 years ago. So you also create less e-waste.

In the end, it's something that everyone has to decide for themselves. I just wanted OP to have all the information, to be able to make their own decision.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:46 AM, adm0n said:

There is no DRM on the switch games. You are basically just pulling the files of the cartridge, which is totally legal. An emulator can read those files in the same way a normal switch can (that's why you have to dump some other files from the switch as well). It gets illegal the moment you start sharing them without having a license.

But more than worrying about what's legal and not, I'd worry about what is morally correct.
And I'd say buying the game cartridge and then obtaining the files from any other source, is a valid way to go about it. You are not only still supporting the developers, you also don't have to buy a console, that will be EOL next year and has hardware from ~9 years ago. So you also create less e-waste.

In the end, it's something that everyone has to decide for themselves. I just wanted OP to have all the information, to be able to make their own decision.

there is drm. there lot of games you need to connect to the net to play. there some you dont. most likey there nintendo first party games.

nintendo would go after you but hasent yet. other probly not. its just a gray area and up to each to decide on what they want.

ya there place around the world that as long as you buy the game you cn play it how you want. in Canada and us its not like that.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

there is drm. there lot of games you need to connect to the net to play. there some you dont. most likey there nintendo first party games.

nintendo would go after you but hasent yet. other probly not. its just a gray area and up to each to decide on what they want.

ya there place around the world that as long as you buy the game you cn play it how you want. in Canada and us its not like that.

Okai, I have worded that poorly. You are not circumventing the DRM, if you just pull the files of a cartridge. And since you also pull the encryption keys and bios of the switch to run it with the emulator, you can succeed any necessary DRM checks.

If the games require you to connect to some kind of server, that is on the games itself, and I'm not sure if emulators work with that. But you can easily use your switch without ever connecting it to the internet, so lots of games don't use that.

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

If you make hard claims like that, I'd like you to back them up. As far as I'm aware, you are permitted by section 117 of the Copyright Act to create archival (backup) copies of software you own. And using emulators is also not illegal.

What can be illegal is distributing the firmware and software of a device without a license, which is protected under the copyright law. But if you own it, you can use it however you see fit.

You are usually infringing on the terms of use, which are not law though and as such, breaking them is not illegal.

4 hours ago, adm0n said:

Okai, I have worded that poorly. You are not circumventing the DRM, if you just pull the files of a cartridge. And since you also pull the encryption keys and bios of the switch to run it with the emulator, you can succeed any necessary DRM checks.

If the games require you to connect to some kind of server, that is on the games itself, and I'm not sure if emulators work with that. But you can easily use your switch without ever connecting it to the internet, so lots of games don't use that.

If you make hard claims like that, I'd like you to back them up. As far as I'm aware, you are permitted by section 117 of the Copyright Act to create archival (backup) copies of software you own. And using emulators is also not illegal.

What can be illegal is distributing the firmware and software of a device without a license, which is protected under the copyright law. But if you own it, you can use it however you see fit.

You are usually infringing on the terms of use, which are not law though and as such, breaking them is not illegal.

ya i dont no how the drm work on emulators if its built in to the game and works off like then it sould be fine. aslo dont no how online play works on emulators ether...well the emulator need a "key" off the system dose not mean you cant find a "key" on line.

but there no way its going to be legal to play the game out side the switch. there no setion that will protect you.

mybe cds did have a way of making legal back up other things dont. with a siwtch you can make a backup and install the game to an sd.

but in a cort its alot of what to say then what is legal and how much cash you want to spend. dont care in your right or wrong.

if they did say go after people witch they have not. it most likey be like music industry were they get you to pay a few thousand and a slap on the rist. atm it cost too much to go after one person the return on investment is not there but from time to time they do go after people and projects.

my point is there no law saying you can or cant witch makes it a gray area.

the people the risk it think to best protect your elf you will need to own the console, game, backup program/hardware and use an "aproved" emulator. also if you can buy the game on there servace you do so.

even you buy the game nintedo is not geting moeny on a there system and subsription. witch is why they wont alow you to just buy the game and play it how you want.

49 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i dont no how the drm work on emulators if its built in to the game and works off like then it sould be fine. aslo dont no how online play works on emulators ether...well the emulator need a "key" off the system dose not mean you cant find a "key" on line.

You are free to dump the key from your own system. Getting one online, would be a copyright violation, that is correct. But dumping it, is fair game. Even copying the Bios during the development of an emulator is covered by fair use -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment,_Inc._v._Connectix_Corp.

52 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

but there no way its going to be legal to play the game out side the switch. there no setion that will protect you.

Emulators are not illegal, there have been numerous cases against them and unless they blatantly copied IP, they have all failed. And as such, using an emulator with your dumped games/keys/firmware is also fine.

56 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

my point is there no law saying you can or cant witch makes it a gray area.

The copyright law covers this, so it is covered. And as far as I'm aware, using emulators is not a gray area at all. Just distributing IP without a license is.

You can get into problems, if you are profiting of emulators, as a lot of these things are covered under fair use. As soon as it gets commercialized, you'll run into problems.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

witch is why they wont alow you to just buy the game and play it how you want.

At this point, Nintendo or any company, cannot dictate how you use the hardware you buy from them, as long as you are buying and not lending it. I sincerely hope that it stays that way!

I said it before, violating the Terms of Use of their platform isn't illegal (to my knowledge) and can only result in them not allowing to use the platform any longer. But that is the amount of control they have, aside from lobbying for stronger copy right laws. 

My original point, was more on the moral side, where personally I find it fine, just to buy the game and then obtaining the files elsewhere. That is illegal. I still think it's morally fine though, but that is just an opinion.

it most likey be like music industry were they get you to pay a few thousand and a slap on the rist

I haven't really heard about anyone getting fined for illegally downloading anything. All the fines, I've heard about, are for torrenting, where you seed the parts you've downloaded back to everyone else. Then you are distributing them, which results in much higher fines.

5 minutes ago, adm0n said:

You are free to dump the key from your own system. Getting one online, would be a copyright violation, that is correct. But dumping it, is fair game. Even copying the Bios during the development of an emulator is covered by fair use -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment,_Inc._v._Connectix_Corp.

Emulators are not illegal, there have been numerous cases against them and unless they blatantly copied IP, they have all failed. And as such, using an emulator with your dumped games/keys/firmware is also fine.

The copyright law covers this, so it is covered. And as far as I'm aware, using emulators is not a gray area at all. Just distributing IP without a license is.

You can get into problems, if you are profiting of emulators, as a lot of these things are covered under fair use. As soon as it gets commercialized, you'll run into problems.

At this point, Nintendo or any company, cannot dictate how you use the hardware you buy from them, as long as you are buying and not lending it. I sincerely hope that it stays that way!

I said it before, violating the Terms of Use of their platform isn't illegal (to my knowledge) and can only result in them not allowing to use the platform any longer. But that is the amount of control they have, aside from lobbying for stronger copy right laws. 

My original point, was more on the moral side, where personally I find it fine, just to buy the game and then obtaining the files elsewhere. That is illegal. I still think it's morally fine though, but that is just an opinion.

I haven't really heard about anyone getting fined for illegally downloading anything. All the fines, I've heard about, are for torrenting, where you seed the parts you've downloaded back to everyone else. Then you are distributing them, which results in much higher fines.

even if you own the system and game it still will never be legal to play it on anything but the orignal system.

if there a way to get a key from your system to use an emulator and a way to dump the game that cant be copyed and disturbuited online then it probly fine but thats not the case. you can get dumps online and a key online witch they are going after thows people.

but it will never be written in to law saying you can emulate under these sercomstances

emulators are only a thing because not enough law was writen to make em elegal.

hpw ever other places around the world do alow you to use an elulator as long as you own the game and system. i think in gurmany and china and probly rush. but i dont no all thows detals i just no there are places like that. canada and us is not that.

this is imo like i said there no law saying you can or cant. and the cort decieds whats right or wrong.

if there a way to get a key from your system to use an emulator and a way to dump the game that cant be copyed and disturbuited online then it probly fine but thats not the case. you can get dumps online and a key online witch they are going after thows people.

This is possible and the only way yuzu (one of the switch emulators out there) endorses its usage.

even if you own the system and game it still will never be legal to play it on anything but the orignal system.

So, with that, you say it is legal then?

but it will never be written in to law saying you can emulate under these sercomstances

Laws don't work that way. No you won't get a law for something like a emulator, because it is way too specific. You get broader laws (like the copyright law), that are interpreted by judges. And I've provided you with one ruling, that specifically states that emulators can fall under fair use.

canada and us is not that.

You keep saying that, without providing any source. It would be very interesting.

4 hours ago, adm0n said:

This is possible and the only way yuzu (one of the switch emulators out there) endorses its usage.

So, with that, you say it is legal then?

Laws don't work that way. No you won't get a law for something like a emulator, because it is way too specific. You get broader laws (like the copyright law), that are interpreted by judges. And I've provided you with one ruling, that specifically states that emulators can fall under fair use.

You keep saying that, without providing any source. It would be very interesting.

yuzu is being sued as we speak...

is the switch to sd and dumper legal probly not.

ya and becuse of nintedos big pockets they will win even if its not legal or not...

there no way to make a phisical back up of a switch game and if there is its not legal.

cd burners were sued at the time for people making backups but they lost.

as for making a back up you can make it but cant use it only if the original is broken and you have the original disc as well as the case i be leave thats how that worked. switch games no fugen way.

the thing is you dont own the game even if you own a phisical disc. this is were the drm comes in to play that makes it so you have to put it in the oringal system to see if the copyright is still working if not they can profent it from working. as well they can remove a game from your library as well. and all that is in the turns of service. the claws.

and if you go out of your way to make it work even thow it should not be that is leigal. will any one do anything about it 🤷‍♂️ probly not. at least not at the moment. like i said it be like muisc were they charge you a fee and tell you dont do it.

6 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

yuzu is being sued as we speak...

is the switch to sd and dumper legal probly not.

ya and becuse of nintedos big pockets they will win even if its not legal or not...

there no way to make a phisical back up of a switch game and if there is its not legal.

cd burners were sued at the time for people making backups but they lost.

as for making a back up you can make it but cant use it only if the original is broken and you have the original disc as well as the case i be leave thats how that worked. switch games no fugen way.

the thing is you dont own the game even if you own a phisical disc. this is were the drm comes in to play that makes it so you have to put it in the oringal system to see if the copyright is still working if not they can profent it from working. as well they can remove a game from your library as well. and all that is in the turns of service. the claws.

and if you go out of your way to make it work even thow it should not be that is leigal. will any one do anything about it 🤷‍♂️ probly not. at least not at the moment. like i said it be like muisc were they charge you a fee and tell you dont do it.

I'm  getting tired of this argument. You are not even consistent in your own argument.

Anyway, I have provided you with multiple sources to support my case, you have simply asserted things and presented yourself as an absolute authority. Present me with the necessary sources to support your side of the argument, and I'm happy to change my mind.

As for yuzu being sued right now, there are a lot of reasons for suing someone, even if you don't have a valid case. One of them is draining a smaller entity of resources. And the team behind yuzu did profit indirectly from creating it, because they have a patreon, which the courts need to decide whether or not it falls within fair use.

We will see what comes from this.