I’m Keeping the World’s Biggest TV.

James

I bought the TCL X11G Max, the biggest single-piece TV on the market at 115”. Actually, it’s not really on the market as it’s China-only but I somehow got it here and three people mounted it on my wall. But now that it’s set up, is it any good? Does it REALLY have over 20,000 local dimming zones? Are giant TVs going to destroy the market for projectors??

Wondered why the video was so dark. LMG still trying to make HDR on YouTube work when Google clearly has no interest in making it so?

For videos like this, it makes more sense than when they did it for Secret Shopper, but its annoying when the tonemapping suddenly changes whenever you bring up the YouTube player controls, scroll down or focus a different window anywhere on your system. Maybe it's a bug in my setup (I'm using Firefox on macOS connected to a HDR-disabled display)

Edited by TaylorRobinson

I knew he'd keep it, and hard to blame him. Though that dead pixel would forever annoy me.

I love that this video, coming just 3-4 weeks before the actual launch of the Vision Pro, manages to never mention high end 4K-per-eye XR headsets as an alternative to these monster TVs. It’s like this video is a perfect “time capsule” of the world just before the impeding XR headset revolution. 

And yet Linus makes the perfect case for the 100-feet Vision Pro cinema mode display compared to this unwieldy monstrosity (that also happens to draw orders of magnitude more power compared to VR headsets), both from the consumer standpoint (“good luck taking it down to get support for a dead pixel”) and the manufacturing standpoint. 

Cost-wise, this TV costs like 3 Vision Pros or like 5-6 of the eventual Vision “Air” headsets. Could equip a whole family with headsets. Said headsets also come with an integrated computer and can display 3D movies. 

ps: one funny tidbit, the Vision Pro too can simulate the light from the virtual screen casting light on your room and furniture 

48 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

I love that this video, coming just 3-4 weeks before the actual launch of the Vision Pro, manages to never mention high end 4K-per-eye XR headsets as an alternative to these monster TVs. It’s like this video is a perfect “time capsule” of the world just before the impeding XR headset revolution. 

And yet Linus makes the perfect case for the 100-feet Vision Pro cinema mode display compared to this unwieldy monstrosity (that also happens to draw orders of magnitude more power compared to VR headsets), both from the consumer standpoint (“good luck taking it down to get support for a dead pixel”) and the manufacturing standpoint. 

Cost-wise, this TV costs like 3 Vision Pros or like 5-6 of the eventual Vision “Air” headsets. Could equip a whole family with headsets. Said headsets also come with an integrated computer and can display 3D movies. 

ps: one funny tidbit, the Vision Pro too can simulate the light from the virtual screen casting light on your room and furniture 

Uh no?  Thinking the AppleVP will replace sitting with your family and watching a movie is a pretty dumb take. 

8 minutes ago, Rellik66 said:

Uh no?  Thinking the AppleVP will replace sitting with your family and watching a movie is a pretty dumb take. 

Let’s check back in 10 years 😎

Your “family” already has most members looking down on their smartphone while “watching” tv. (No judgement on this, it’s just how things are)

A personal headset per user could offer both a shared floating virtual display (see: SharePlay) to watch content together and individual “personal distraction” displays for each user. 

Not to mention the whole “real estate” part of the equation.

XR headsets could democratize big tv screens for families living in very small homes.

Just now, saltycaramel said:

Not to mention the whole “real estate” part of the equation.

XR headset could democratize big tv screens  for families living in very small homes.

sorry i couldnt hear you over the sound of the massive bag that tim apple just gave you

important figure in mensa

The best tech is tech you can walk in a retail store, impulse buy and bring home in a shopping bag.

Even big TVs not as extreme as this 115” niche monstrosity require a whole process to be bought and installed. Every disadvantage Linus stressed in the video kinda applies to 75”, 77”, 98”, heck even 65” TVs as well. 

Headsets are inherently superior tech in this regard. And can be easily brought over to one’s vacation home. 

2 hours ago, James said:

I bought the TCL X11G Max, the biggest single-piece TV on the market at 115”. Actually, it’s not really on the market as it’s China-only but I somehow got it here and three people mounted it on my wall. But now that it’s set up, is it any good? Does it REALLY have over 20,000 local dimming zones? Are giant TVs going to destroy the market for projectors??

whats that black background honey video name so can check personall qned tv?

10 minutes ago, Wittwe AB Grw said:

whats that black background honey video name so can check personall qned tv?

Found on Youtube with 'HDR Test video' as a search

2 minutes ago, Rellik66 said:

Found on Youtube with 'HDR Test video' as a search

ty so much. ironikly my 75" 4k hdr10+ tv  is lg

What about colour gamut coverage and hdr brightness chart from lab test?

Alright, I was not a fan of the HDR in the last few releases. It looks great in this video.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

5 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

the real revolution will be hundreds of millions of people suddenly deciding they want to strap a stupid thing to their face instead of just watching the normal tv they already have which doesn't require strapping anything to your face.

i love that people who use vr goggles 100% forget that most people think having goggles is stupid.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

the real revolution will be hundreds of millions of people suddenly deciding they want to strap a stupid thing to their face instead of just watching the normal tv they already have which doesn't require strapping anything to your face.

i love that people who use vr goggles 100% forget that most people think having goggles is stupid.

That’s the point.

For most people VR goggles still have to have their “iPhone moment”. 

Soon. Maybe. The Vision Pro is the best shot at this so far. 

It’s like 5 different techs are independently racing to reach the same goal

- big LCD panels (see: the 115” tv being discussed)

- big OLED panels

- big microLED installations 

- microOLED OLEDoS for VR goggles (currently used in the Vision Pro)

- microLED LEDoS for VR goggles (later this decade)

Each tech has pros and cons. 
Safe to say big LCDs and big OLEDs are hard capped at 70-80” for most people, for practical reasons. Above that the buying/installing/repairing/replacing/upgrading experience is a nightmare.

Big microLED installations are too pricey.

With microOLED OLEDoS and microLED LEDoS, sky is the limit. 5000-6000ppi displays are already in the roadmap. Could make for a nice big virtual display.

Anyone else think Linus should watch "Oppenheimer" at full volume for true authentic experience

oppenheimerfrontrow.thumb.jpg.d3014549c6b0280bbd328547904e0a0e.jpg

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Linus in the last video: "Guys this isn't staying here, I already have a projector!"

Also Linus apparently:

giphy.gif

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

8 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Let’s check back in 10 years 😎

Your “family” already has most members looking down on their smartphone while “watching” tv. (No judgement on this, it’s just how things are)

A personal headset per user could offer both a shared floating virtual display (see: SharePlay) to watch content together and individual “personal distraction” displays for each user. 

Sounds like a dystopian future where everyone is strapped to something while having zero human interaction. 

Best part about family watching TV together is the sharing of popcorn, meals, cuddling with partner on a sofa, laughing and crying together and discussing certain scenes live while looking at your family members facial expression. I wouldn't want to replace all that with a fake projection of eyes. 

3 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

For most people VR goggles still have to have their “iPhone moment”. 

For most, that moment might not be strapping a $3,500 pound of computer to your nose and still having to carry the battery in your pocket. 😂

maybe in 5 years but definetly not in 4 weeks lol

7 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

The best tech is tech you can walk in a retail store, impulse buy and bring home in a shopping bag.

Ah yes, the $3500 impulse buy. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

about that single pixel , even if you were in china that would not have entitled you for a replace .

if i'm not wrong it must be at least 3 for them to consider replacing it.

5 hours ago, crazzp said:

Sounds like a dystopian future where everyone is strapped to something while having zero human interaction. 

Best part about family watching TV together is the sharing of popcorn, meals, cuddling with partner on a sofa, laughing and crying together and discussing certain scenes live while looking at your family members facial expression. I wouldn't want to replace all that with a fake projection of eyes. 

You have a point. It’s also cultural. Culture can change. Stranger things have happened. 

Now, if the headsets became very thin and light, like a sleeping mask (that still showed the “fake eyes” on the outside)…or if they became smart transparent glasses running the same OS as headsets…the scenario you described could still feel pretty natural.

Whereas there’s not even an imaginable path for a 115” tv to become practical…even if it became rollable, it’d still be a big effing roll to carry around and install…and still take a full wall of one’s home, probably a dedicated room..

6 hours ago, Middcore said:

Ah yes, the $3500 impulse buy. 

Still heaps more impulse-buyable than the nightmare that is buying&installing a 115” or a 98” tv, which requires planning, arranging the transport and how to get it into your house, multiple people, taking a day off, praying all the gods you won’t need to ship it back for support, etc. 

Price is currently like 2x high-end smartphones…the cheaper model in 2 years will probably cost like a foldable Android smartphone.