I’m Keeping the World’s Biggest TV.

James
16 hours ago, TaylorRobinson said:

Wondered why the video was so dark. LMG still trying to make HDR on YouTube work when Google clearly has no interest in making it so?

For videos like this, it makes more sense than when they did it for Secret Shopper, but its annoying when the tonemapping suddenly changes whenever you bring up the YouTube player controls, scroll down or focus a different window anywhere on your system. Maybe it's a bug in my setup (I'm using Firefox on macOS connected to a HDR-disabled display)

thank you. wondering why yt app crash on xbox. yt hdr bug strikes again.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Video was enjoyable for me (iPhone), I hate when HDR yt videos are *ALL EYE PIERCING BRIGHT* (I could name yt channels that do this), whereas the way LTT did this the HDR highlights where apparent at the right places and at the right time. 

16 hours ago, TaylorRobinson said:

but its annoying when the tonemapping suddenly changes whenever you bring up the YouTube player controls, scroll down or focus a different window anywhere on your system. Maybe it's a bug in my setup (I'm using Firefox on macOS connected to a HDR-disabled display)

And that's why I use a 16 MBP" with miniLED. The fact that (just like on an iPhone) only the actual video box is displayed in HDR, with the rest of the screen and the system staying in SDR like nothing happened, is awesome. 

(I use Safari but I just tried to watch the same video on Firefox and it works in the same way, only the video itself is displayed in HDR, not the surroundings)

15 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

The best tech is tech you can walk in a retail store, impulse buy and bring home in a shopping bag.

Easily the worst way to buy tech. No research, no price comparisons, almost always leads to a bad purchase.

If I am planning on buying a new TV I don't just walk into a store and pick the one that looks the nicest on display. That's what thick people do.

On 12/31/2023 at 5:54 PM, James said:

I bought the TCL X11G Max, the biggest single-piece TV on the market at 115”. Actually, it’s not really on the market as it’s China-only but I somehow got it here and three people mounted it on my wall. But now that it’s set up, is it any good? Does it REALLY have over 20,000 local dimming zones? Are giant TVs going to destroy the market for projectors??

IMHO the conclusion has one flaw:

snapshot.thumb.jpg.e295f911e30f0473f80d270cfc2e256e.jpg

A 115" TV  is not (115"/98") = 17.3% larger than a 98" TV but actually (115"²/98"²) = 37.7% larger. You would call a 110" TV four times as big as a 55" TV, or wouldn't you?

Or as a comparison table:

TLC 115" Samsung 98" Generic 77" OLED 
price $11,000 $8,000 $2,000
area 5651 sq in 4104 sq in 2533 sq in
cost/area $1.947/sq in $1.949/sq in $0.789/sq in

On 1/8/2024 at 7:16 PM, FizzyFrys said:

1 week after the video, TCL announces they're releasing a 115 inch mini LED TV in the USA. https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/8/24030069/tcl-is-releasing-a-giant-115-inch-model-of-its-excellent-qm8-mini-led-tv

RIP linus and the import fees he paid. 

NA pricing is $20k USD. He paid a lot less than that. Well worth the savings I think.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

Does anyone know what board type thing Linus is using in this screenshot? Looks great for using a keyboard/mouse on the couch.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, is this a VA panel or IPS? I remember seen "IPS" on the box when Andy was unloading it.

Just rewatched, nm, it says "Mini LED."

Personally, I love VA panels with quantum dot. I've never had good luck with IPS displays.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2024 at 1:42 AM, saltycaramel said:

I love that this video, coming just 3-4 weeks before the actual launch of the Vision Pro, manages to never mention high end 4K-per-eye XR headsets as an alternative to these monster TVs. It’s like this video is a perfect “time capsule” of the world just before the impeding XR headset revolution. 

And yet Linus makes the perfect case for the 100-feet Vision Pro cinema mode display compared to this unwieldy monstrosity (that also happens to draw orders of magnitude more power compared to VR headsets), both from the consumer standpoint (“good luck taking it down to get support for a dead pixel”) and the manufacturing standpoint. 

Cost-wise, this TV costs like 3 Vision Pros or like 5-6 of the eventual Vision “Air” headsets. Could equip a whole family with headsets. Said headsets also come with an integrated computer and can display 3D movies. 

ps: one funny tidbit, the Vision Pro too can simulate the light from the virtual screen casting light on your room and furniture 

No because if I want ultra high definition videos on VR I would get a Pimax 8K X which has all the pixels and none of the apple ecosystem (shovelware) and unremovable ads (at least until someone figure out how to jailbreak it)

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 2/29/2024 at 8:26 AM, williamcll said:

No because if I want ultra high definition videos on VR I would get a Pimax 8K X which has all the pixels and none of the apple ecosystem (shovelware) and unremovable ads (at least until someone figure out how to jailbreak it)

Can I watch "Avatar: The Way of the Water" (and other Disney+ HFR 3D releases in the future) in 4K 48fps 3D on the Pimax?

Since the Pimax is not stand-alone, am I supposed to carry a whole PC on a plane or even to my back porch to use it?

Since we're here, I've now watched LTT's Vision Pro review.

While it's a fun and creative review, I feel the part about the Vision Pro being the best single-user personal movie theatre ever created (in a diminutive size device at that) has been largely glossed over. They did the "but I could watch a tv with my friends instead" skit and called it a day. 

That's arguably the use case where the Vision Pro shines the most. 

And the "Vision Air" will be even more fit to be a content consumption device eventually. And yes you would still be able to watch movies with your friends via SharePlay. (both friends in the same room and friends thousands of miles apart)

shareplay_on_visionOS.thumb.png.0969ae13bdadbabc9f9e030e5f8ef513.png

17 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Can I watch "Avatar: The Way of the Water" (and other Disney+ HFR 3D releases in the future) in 4K 48fps 3D on the Pimax?

Since the Pimax is not stand-alone, am I supposed to carry a whole PC on a plane or even to my back porch to use it?

No? Mini-handheld PCs have plenty enough to drive those external displays.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

No? Mini-handheld PCs have plenty enough to drive those external displays.

There’s no getting around the fact that it’s apples and oranges to compare a stand-alone HMD (like the Vision Pro) to tethered HMDs (like the Pimax) that require a PC (big or small, it still needs to be powered, and it’s overall a bag of pain and attrition compared to using a self-contained stand-alone device) to work.

And there’s no getting around the fact that sometimes streaming services will offer app-exclusive or device-exclusive experiences that aren’t necessarily available on Windows/macOS + Pimax.