Question about a common take

KageSong
On 1/29/2024 at 6:52 PM, wasab said:

Pretty sure you can drive for uber/lyft/instacart and all those gig platforms. No one cares about disability on there as long as you can get the job done. If you are disabled enough that these do not work out, idk. It is difficult to recommend anything without knowing your situations. 

From the sound of it, it seems like you suffer from some type of mental disability rather than anything physical. I know many families would lock their mentally ill member inside the house all day so they don't make a nuisance of themselves or hurt someone outdoors. It is unfortunate but it is what it is. 

Actually, legally I can't, but again, subjects mods have asked me not to discuss, so you'll have to take my word on it. And yes, I have some form of undiagnosed mental disorder. My family insisted that only one child in the family could be mentally disabled, and I'm the youngest, so it wasn't me. I wish I could tell you more.

On 1/27/2024 at 4:24 PM, wasab said:

Problem with not paying people, even if they are willing, is that they will leave the door the second they learned what they needed from you and have better opportunity come knocking. I am a firm believer of the perfect market hypothesis. Under a fair and competive job market, nothing is a free lunch. You either pay up for quality workers or you don't get quality workers. Similarly for job seekers, you either pick up the skills and experiences or you start out with low pay and work your way up. 

I think I'm being pretty open that I'm willing to work for free for experience and exposure. I don't intend to be dishonest. Of course, anyone that gave that opportunity would be my first choice if I got any financial offers later on. But mostly my intent is to learn more to work for myself better, on my own projects, because no one can tell me not to do that. I suspect in that case, I'd be happy to continue to work with mentors that helped with such an opportunity.

17 minutes ago, KageSong said:

I have one friend who is busy with his wife and child. That is a genuine answer. 🙂

You should ask if they're willing or have the ability to help. Leaning on someone else is not wise, but when you're in a situation where your parents aren't helping, or actively hurting your ability to live your own life, it's the only thing left. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 hours ago, KageSong said:

I think I'm being pretty open that I'm willing to work for free for experience and exposure. I don't intend to be dishonest. Of course, anyone that gave that opportunity would be my first choice if I got any financial offers later on. But mostly my intent is to learn more to work for myself better, on my own projects, because no one can tell me not to do that. I suspect in that case, I'd be happy to continue to work with mentors that helped with such an opportunity.

It isn't as simple as you think. Untrained and unskilled are a liability rather than an asset. If everyone can be productive and contribute something from the get-go as long as their salary is low enough or they work for free then we wouldn't need to pay for expensive college degrees and technical schools that charge high an arm and a leg for tuition. We can simply turn up at a company, ask to work for free, and be taught all the skills needed on the job. This is not how reality works.

skilled jobs requires skilled training and these skills take years to master have someone unskilled working on them, paid or not, is just a liability. What liabilities? Well, projects do not get completed on time, got completed in a mess if at all, clients not happy, company go under, and ect. In short, as an unskilled and unpaid labor, the best thing a company could expect out of you is to sacrifice experienced and skilled employees' time to baby you, decreasing their productivity and time spent working on some critical project. They might actually be asked to work overtime to make sure projects and work get completed which all increased stress levels and frustration leading to the chance of the more skilled employees quitting. In short, it is not going to work out. 

Plenty of employers are more than willing to hire you for free but these are very low-skilled jobs. You can start working on them the second you walk into them and do completely fine, e.g. cooks, farmhands, ect.  I don't see why you would tho since you can work these jobs paid and if you work for free, you are just being a volunteer slave. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 6:31 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

You should ask if they're willing or have the ability to help. Leaning on someone else is not wise, but when you're in a situation where your parents aren't helping, or actively hurting your ability to live your own life, it's the only thing left. 

First, I appreciate your understanding. I have, of course, asked them to help if I can. I'm not so proud as to not ask. I hope you can see from my post, that I'm very open to asking for help, even where I shouldn't expect it, because not asking is the worst thing I could do.

I call his mom, mom, and my mother, my mother. They've done more to help me than anyone else. I hope my statements didn't seem to discount them.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:01 PM, wasab said:

It isn't as simple as you think. Untrained and unskilled are a liability rather than an asset. If everyone can be productive and contribute something from the get-go as long as their salary is low enough or they work for free then we wouldn't need to pay for expensive college degrees and technical schools that charge high an arm and a leg for tuition. We can simply turn up at a company, ask to work for free, and be taught all the skills needed on the job. This is not how reality works.

skilled jobs requires skilled training and these skills take years to master have someone unskilled working on them, paid or not, is just a liability. What liabilities? Well, projects do not get completed on time, got completed in a mess if at all, clients not happy, company go under, and ect. In short, as an unskilled and unpaid labor, the best thing a company could expect out of you is to sacrifice experienced and skilled employees' time to baby you, decreasing their productivity and time spent working on some critical project. They might actually be asked to work overtime to make sure projects and work get completed which all increased stress levels and frustration leading to the chance of the more skilled employees quitting. In short, it is not going to work out. 

Plenty of employers are more than willing to hire you for free but these are very low-skilled jobs. You can start working on them the second you walk into them and do completely fine, e.g. cooks, farmhands, ect.  I don't see why you would tho since you can work these jobs paid and if you work for free, you are just being a volunteer slave. 

You're on a labor-intensive mindset, or corporate, at least. I can't work those jobs largely. Physical and mental disorders, and due to... complicated issues, the courts don't really want to grant me SSI. I guess that's the one silver lining, now they're talking about potential MS, they'll give me SSI at that point LMAO.

No, I'm talking about things you really don't have college courses in. Creative positions and such (yes, I know there is courses for creatives). And to say I'm unskilled is a bit presumptuous. I welcome you to check either of my yt channels, if it's allowed, either @kagesong for drums or @kagenoctuumgaming for gaming. You'll be able to see that I have skills that can be built upon within a working environment. I haven't slacked for lack of opportunity. I just got banned from Twitch, so I lost the income I had from my creative career, and due to health, I can't fall back on anything traditional really.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KageSong said:

Creative positions and such (yes, I know there is courses for creatives). And to say I'm unskilled is a bit presumptuous. I welcome you to check either of my yt channels, if it's allowed, either 

Ah yes, everyone wants to be youtubers, movie super stars, and rock star Michael Jackson level musicians nowadays. 

No one will stop you from doing these. The only barrier for most people is lack of talent. Why were you ban from twitch btw? They don't ban disable people, just those who violate their tos. It is completely on you if you can't follow the rules.

You should know yt is not just i spend a few minutes a day playing games, post videos, and i get paid millions of dollars. Professional youtube require long hours and hard work and success is very slim. You could be working 14 hours and not earn a cent. 

If you have such poor results working for yourself, what makes you think any employers will gain any value in paying you to perform these labors? 

Edit: actually, I can't find either one of your channel at all. 

Edited by wasab

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 7:43 PM, wasab said:

Ah yes, everyone wants to be youtubers, movie super stars, and rock star Michael Jackson level musicians nowadays. 

No one will stop you from doing these. The only barrier for most people is lack of talent. Why were you ban from twitch btw? They don't ban disable people, just those who violate their tos. It is completely on you if you can't follow the rules.

You should know yt is not just i spend a few minutes a day playing games, post videos, and i get paid millions of dollars. Professional youtube require long hours and hard work and success is very slim. You could be working 14 hours and not earn a cent. 

If you have such poor results working for yourself, what makes you think any employers will gain any value in paying you to perform these labors? 

Edit: actually, I can't find either one of your channel at all. 

I've mentioned several times that the mods here have asked me not to discuss the VERY PERSONAL reason I was banned from Twitch. Suffice to say, it was out of my control. I never said it was because I was disabled.

I tend to work 4-12 hours a day on youtube stuff, if not getting drum covers posted as often as I'd like.

I have no idea why you can't find my channels, idk if I'm allowed to share links, but if you're wanting to see if the quality seems worth consuming for entertainment, I'm happy to share if I'm allowed.

I feel like you could avoid a lot of the non-constructive criticism. I feel enough like a failure that I don't need to be told that I am a failure objectively because I can't get a job.

6 minutes ago, KageSong said:

I feel like you could avoid a lot of the non-constructive criticism. I feel enough like a failure that I don't need to be told that I am a failure objectively because I can't get a job.

i really cant offer anything constructive and avoid assumptions when I have little info to go off of. have you ever seek out out a therapist or a psychiatrist? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 3/14/2024 at 3:40 PM, wasab said:

i really cant offer anything constructive and avoid assumptions when I have little info to go off of. have you ever seek out out a therapist or a psychiatrist? 

I've seen at least 15 therapists. According to the therapists, because my problems are external, not internal, therapy is not the thing to help. I've been in therapy most of my life. They seem to feel like I've done the work for myself that therapy can help with. It's just not a magic life better button.

On 3/16/2024 at 8:07 AM, KageSong said:

I've seen at least 15 therapists. According to the therapists, because my problems are external, not internal, therapy is not the thing to help. 

Yeah, I don't know what your issue is. Disability is internal, not external. Your family however is external.

You are an adult. If your family is the issue, just leave them. You are a legal adult, you have the power to make these decisions for yourself. Call the cops if they are locking you in or forbid you to leave. They are technically kidnapping and unlawfully detaining a free individual. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 3:26 PM, wasab said:

Yeah, I don't know what your issue is. Disability is internal, not external. Your family however is external.

You are an adult. If your family is the issue, just leave them. You are a legal adult, you have the power to make these decisions for yourself. Call the cops if they are locking you in or forbid you to leave. They are technically kidnapping and unlawfully detaining a free individual. 

Aren't you just an optimist to believe that an adult can take off and leave and survive without any resources or aid. And I have called the police about the abuse. When my grandmother did hit me, they said how dare I call them on her, she's such a pillar of the community. And no, I'm nock physically locked in my house, but if I'd like somewhere to sleep, I don't have a lot of choice, because I'm not allowed at the shelters.

To be fair, it could be best not to reply any further.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:33 PM, KageSong said:

Aren't you just an optimist to believe that an adult can take off and leave and survive without any resources or aid.

Well, yes. That's what I did. If you are a child that would be different but you are an adult. People can literally evict you out of the house, within a reasonable time and notice period of course and expect you to be fine. In fact, that's what would happen if you fall behind on rent in the real world. 

On 3/28/2024 at 8:33 PM, KageSong said:

When my grandmother did hit me, they said how dare I call them on her, she's such a pillar of the community.

Hit her back? I don't understand how an old lady could physically overpower a 20-40 yr adult but that's besides the point.

Assuming you could survive on your own, whats actually legally and physically preventing you from giving them a middle finger and just leave? Lol? ive seen adult children who cutoff their parents entirely for being total duchebags. also, I mean you certainly will need to leave eventually to get married, have children, and to raise/support your own family right? That's the cultural norm in the North America at least. 

In any case, you said you have disability which I know nothing about and you won't share any more information so I am going to end the discussion here before I tell you something a normal and sane person would do but unsuitable for you for whatever reason. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 3/29/2024 at 11:43 AM, wasab said:

Well, yes. That's what I did. If you are a child that would be different but you are an adult. People can literally evict you out of the house, within a reasonable time and notice period of course and expect you to be fine. In fact, that's what would happen if you fall behind on rent in the real world. 

Hit her back? I don't understand how an old lady could physically overpower a 20-40 yr adult but that's besides the point.

Assuming you could survive on your own, whats actually legally and physically preventing you from giving them a middle finger and just leave? Lol? ive seen adult children who cutoff their parents entirely for being total duchebags. also, I mean you certainly will need to leave eventually to get married, have children, and to raise/support your own family right? That's the cultural norm in the North America at least. 

In any case, you said you have disability which I know nothing about and you won't share any more information so I am going to end the discussion here before I tell you something a normal and sane person would do but unsuitable for you for whatever reason. 

... Do you think I can walk out my front door and magically have another home? I lost my white boy privilege card a few days after I was born. Sorry.

5 hours ago, KageSong said:

... Do you think I can walk out my front door and magically have another home? I lost my white boy privilege card a few days after I was born. Sorry.

huh? i am confused. Are you saying you can't work and support yourself? do you want me to say that i agree your family is being unfair to you and that you deserve better? Companies should be giving you the chance at doing career youtube or career "creative" whatever you are wanting? get this, there are people out there much more qualified than you and had grind/sacrifice way more than you and who still cant break into these industries. competition is fierce my man and these people dont just sit on their asses all day, not working until they land the perfect job. time for some reality checks. 

i still dont know much about your situation but it sounds like you are very much dependant on your "toxic" family for all your needs, or at the very least, basic survival. From the way this discussion is going, it sounds like you very much lack emotional and mental maturity and simply dont know how to adult and are incapable of it. in such case, i would seriously suggest you stop slandering your family. i wont offer you sympathy because what you are doing deserve none. i wont offer you pity either because doing so means condescension.

Are you late 20s? 30s? The only thing i can say is that at this age, you should not be under your parents yolk. you should be your own free man/woman, and that of an equal to your parents or grandparents, not a subservient child. As an adult, you pay taxes, you pay your own bills, you can vote, you can sign legal contracts, sign leases, file suits, heck, even join the military, and be entrusted with lethal fire arms and put your life in jeopardy for service of your nation. you can in fact take your parents to court and sue/file charges against them like any other adult. these can all begin at just the mere age of 18.  you have no bosses other than what you voluntarily agree to when entering like say an employment contract. you also have all the liberties, responsibilities, and legal rights of an adult citizen, circumscribed by laws of course. i do not see how you can complain about your supposed toxic family on one hand and yet adamant to have them baby you and treat you no different than an underage child. 

i suspect your family might be enablers and allow you to be like this. your case is not very much dissimilar to those hikikomori in japan. i say you are in fact privileged because in japan(and rest of the world for that matter), only upper class and upper middle class can afford to have their children become like these. all the average working class hikikomoris are all eventually force out to work a job and support themselves on their own two feet. i really dont know what to tell you other than you are free to just leave and do your own thing, swim and realize your dreams by your own merits or sink with failures and be force to do what is prudent/pratical like what the rest of us functional adults do. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 1/7/2024 at 5:06 PM, KageSong said:

Yes, one can't have a resume without experience to prove themselves. I'm not going to get hired for a paycheck, so I'd be willing to work to show that I have value in an industry. If I don't, it's a small loss to the company overall.

unless your inexperience leads you to make a mistake that costs more than you realize. then its not a small loss. it could be a VERY big loss, especially if they have to take talent off of their work to go back and fix mistakes inexperienced people made. they wasted the money on the first persons time and 2x the time of whoever has to fix it because now they arent doing their job on top of going back to redo something that should have been done the first time.

On 1/27/2024 at 11:12 AM, KageSong said:

I can't even read this whole thing. I hate having people talk at me like I haven't tried every single thing they've suggested multiple times.

you asked for advice from strangers online. you expect them to know what youve been told and what youve tried? geez, you need to get over yourself.

i have 0 clue what you've been told/tried and since you hate being helped if its not the perfect answer for your exact situation i wont waste either of our time trying. i doubt any anonymous stranger will be able to help you unless you change your attitude.

23 hours ago, KageSong said:

no, do you think the other adults here walked outside when they turned 18 and were magically gifted another home? sucks you lost your privilege card. i never had one but you seem to think you're owed one. take responsibility of your situation. you're an adult. if you don't like mom and dad's house, leave. its not magic, its what almost everybody else does and is considered completely mundane and normal.

Actually now I read back on your top comments, you did say you are unhirable for some disability reasons, can't be an employee but can and want to work as contractors? Well, there is driving for uber, door dashing, and instacart. Go at it. You won't have any benefits and won't be earning much but it is more than you will ever get from social security and welfare. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

*** Thread locked ***

As per OPs request.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv