Should I use a m.2 to sata or just an ssd

I have an Alienware 15 R3 that i use mostly for gaming and wanted to get rid of the original 1 TB had drive and replace it with a ssd so it would be faster. While I was looking for an ssd I saw the Samsung 870 Evo 2 TB for around $150. I also noticed the speeds were really low compared to a NVMe m.2 ssd so I went looking for an adapter for NVMe m.2 to sata and found an adapter for $30. I picked the WD_Black SN850X 1TB for my ssd.
after looking a the cost it was about 150 dollars for all of the items on Amazon. Sorry for the paragraph but I wanted to know should I sick with the ssd and would the adapter slow down the speed of the m.2 drive also would the m.2 drive need a heat sink so it wouldn’t over heat.

7 minutes ago, Bakshi_ Bandit said:

I have an Alienware 15 R3 that i use mostly for gaming and wanted to get rid of the original 1 TB had drive and replace it with a ssd so it would be faster. While I was looking for an ssd I saw the Samsung 870 Evo 2 TB for around $150. I also noticed the speeds were really low compared to a NVMe m.2 ssd so I went looking for an adapter for NVMe m.2 to sata and found an adapter for $30. I picked the WD_Black SN850X 1TB for my ssd.
after looking a the cost it was about 150 dollars for all of the items on Amazon. Sorry for the paragraph but I wanted to know should I sick with the ssd and would the adapter slow down the speed of the m.2 drive also would the m.2 drive need a heat sink so it wouldn’t over heat.

Your one crazy little man, do not waste your money, an adapter from nvme to sata will just make your speedy nvme ssd turn into a slow sata ssd (3000mbs to 600..) 

1. You wont have any space to put in that adapter and nvme ssd
  2. You dont need a heatsink for an ssd unless your basically editing on it 24/7, always reading and writing high amounts, it only helps with the performance when it is always, and i mean, always busy
  3. Your laptop doesnt support over 1tb of storage on any slot. so dont bother.
  4. Even if you do buy an nvme ssd, you have nothing to screw it down to on that laptop.
  5. You have 2 other ports on your laptop for storage, which are nvme, use those. also double check what keys you have and look up which each key means, then buy an ssd accordingly

SATA could mean two things, the name of a port and name of a data transfer standard. Your SATA port on the laptop only accepts SATA transfer standard, an M.2 to SATA adapter only changes the port but not the transfer standard because M.2 port can take either SATA or NVMe transfer standard. This means if you buy an NVMe SSD and use the adapter, your laptop simply would not read the SSD. A M.2 SATA SSD + adapter would work, but that's extra cost for no performance benefit

So dont bother with NVMe or an adapter, just use a 2.5" SATA SSD.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

SATA could mean two things, the name of a port and name of a data transfer standard. Your SATA port on the laptop only accepts SATA transfer standard, an M.2 to SATA adapter only changes the port but not the transfer standard because M.2 port can take either SATA or NVMe transfer standard. This means if you buy an NVMe SSD and use the adapter, your laptop simply would not read the SSD.

So dont bother with NVMe, just use SATA SSD.

hes replacing a hdd with a sata 2.5 inch, therefore its the 2.5inch sata connection and not the m.2 standard

2 hours ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:
  1. Your laptop doesnt support over 1tb of storage on any slot. so dont bother

This doesn't sound right. Assuming the laptop is not an ancient mbr formatted system, the limit is far beyond any drive currently made (near 10 zb)

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

This doesn't sound right. Assuming the laptop is not an ancient mbr formatted system, the limit is far beyond any drive currently made (near 10 zb)

a quick google search would assist you silly goose, its a laptop not a full flexed computer, even then it has its limits for ram but still one form of storage.

15 minutes ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

a quick google search would assist you silly goose, its a laptop not a full flexed computer, even then it has its limits for ram but still one form of storage.

There's no limit on the capacity of drives you can put in this laptop. That spec sheet was for how much storage dell sold the laptop with. 

1 minute ago, Ryker Robb said:

There's no limit on the capacity of drives you can put in this laptop. That spec sheet was for how much storage dell sold the laptop with. 

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-ie/alienware-15-laptop/alienware-15-r3-setupandspecifications/storage?guid=guid-ffa4b311-7053-4dc5-9294-a42c475db5e1&lang=en-us

3 minutes ago, Ryker Robb said:

thanks for the insight, also why bro whipping out the archives in the library of alexandria for info. 

42 minutes ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

It doesn't matter if it's a laptop or a desktop. The limit is the same. And don't bring ram into this, entirely different limits there.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

It doesn't matter if it's a laptop or a desktop. The limit is the same. And don't bring ram into this, entirely different limits there.

😞 

You could also buy one of these: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/s322m225r

It's only for M.2 SATA SSDs, but it allows you to have two installed on the adapter, and put it in a RAID configuration within the adapter itself if desired, or access both at the same time if that controller supports port multiplication.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Using an M.2 to SATA adapter won't be any faster than just getting an SATA SSD.

Only possible benefit is the devices use in other devices later.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking