Top smartphones may soon cost more than $200

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/09/technology/mobile/phone-subsidy/index.html

I really don't know what to think of this idea. On the one hand it will not be fun to pay more upfront for a new phone, but if the

carriers really take the cost of the phone out of your monthly bill, you could save money in the long run. It would be cool to hear

what other people think.

I live in Australia. We basically mirror what the USA do, but with higher prices all round.. Since our population is much lower; competition is not as cutthroat.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I live in Malaysia.80% of population here usually buy unlocked phone and use prepaid courier .So for normal person,it cost only 10 USD a month and for less power user,5 USD a month is more than enough.Mind here this only for call and sms only,extra charge apply if using 3g . Also we pay bill only if we using the phone.So there's no monthly cost applied.

Well here in Mexico you pay for a phone with contract what you pay in the USA for an unlocked phone  lol Thank god an uncle that lives in the US bought my Nexus 4 :P I love it.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Well here in Mexico you pay for a phone with contract what you pay in the USA for an unlocked phone  lol Thank god an uncle that lives in the US bought my Nexus 4 :P I love it.

Carlos Slim is watching you >.>

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Hell no...this is bogus. I want to continue paying for high end smartphones for $200 D:

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

The nexus4 on googleplay store is $350 when I look at the site in Australia. Very cheap... Ie get one if my iPhone 3gs ever dies.

How much does it say it costs for you and where are you?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Ive always bought my phones outright since I like the flexibility of switching between carriers/plans. Contract plans with the big 3 carriers are great since they make them a lot of money.

I guess Im one of those who does not care if I have high speed data access on the go. If your job requires it, i can understand paying for it, but most of my friends pay 100$ a month or more so that they can check their email or post to facebook/twitter when they are not at work/home.

Isn't the HTC One and S4 already asking $250 with contract?

I buy my phones outright, unless the prices rise from the current $600-$650, then we will have a problem.

I'm not on a plan so i have to buy my phones outright anyways - too much of a scam if you ask me.

most phones are overpriced since the uptake of new tech is quick. contacts are the only reason phones like the iphone 5 etc are even sold

Its all about those volumetric clouds

For myself I don't even own a smartphone. I just can't justify paying the huge monthly bill. 

A Verizon rep told me that she thinks they will be dropping 2-year contracts very soon, nothing that she has been directly told from above, just what she assumes... and they are trying to buy T-Mobile.

I'm fine with it if the monthly bill drops, the idea of subsidizing phones is crazy anyways, its like getting a cheaper car but paying $1000/ month for insurance.

Phones in my country tend to be a lot more expensive. For Example an iPhone 5 16GB costs over $1000 US

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Phones in my country tend to be a lot more expensive. For Example an iPhone 5 16GB costs over $1000 US

Here as well. 

When I read the title I was like "What smartphone costs 200$?" Then I remember that's what they probably cost in the US. Here smartphones are priced from 300€ to 900€.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

I buy unlocked phones at their full price so it makes no difference to me. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Same here, I always buy unlocked at full price, if I were to buy the same phone on contract, by the time the contract ends I'd have paid much more than full price anyway.

Maybe we should start a poll?.

Same goes for Belgium, here we usually buy unlocked phones.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

Carlos Slim is watching you >.>

That motherf*cker... 

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Here, the carriers have to tell you the minimum cost of the complete contract (the cost of getting the phone and how much you pay in fees during the duration of the contract), and I think it has to be shown clearly in the ad (not tucked away with small print at the bottom of the page). It makes it very easy to compare deals and it also makes it apparent for customers that the phone aren't cheap

HTC one is about $960 unlocked in Norway and the cheapest subsidized plan I've seen was $375 up front with a year of sub.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

More than $200? My phone costed $299 when I got it 1.5 years ago.

What I suspect will happen is that they will stop subsidizing phones, and just leave the monthly contract rates the same as they are.

So we'll still be paying the subsidy, but won't actually be getting a cheaper phone.

This is how it works in Canada. On Bell Canada you can talk to their representatives and they can tell you exactly how much of each monthly bill goes towards your hardware subsidy. However, if you walk into a Bell store with an unlocked phone it's not like you get a monthly discount on the plans they offer... This just sounds like a plan to roll this out en mass.

This is the worst news I've read all day... Yet another way telcos are going to bend us over.

Here's a brilliant idea: Stop sponsoring construction of major sports arenas and paying millions for TV advertising spots that everyone mutes and ignores and then you won't need to worry about all the extra profit...

What I suspect will happen is that they will stop subsidizing phones, and just leave the monthly contract rates the same as they are.

So we'll still be paying the subsidy, but won't actually be getting a cheaper phone.

This is how it works in Canada. On Bell Canada you can talk to their representatives and they can tell you exactly how much of each monthly bill goes towards your hardware subsidy. However, if you walk into a Bell store with an unlocked phone it's not like you get a monthly discount on the plans they offer... This just sounds like a plan to roll this out en mass.

This is the worst news I've read all day... Yet another way telcos are going to bend us over.

Here's a brilliant idea: Stop sponsoring construction of major sports arenas and paying millions for TV advertising spots that everyone mutes and ignores and then you won't need to worry about all the extra profit...

Well said. Although I feel bad for the people that get it worse than us.

I get free phones. I doubt I will ever pay so much for data and such.

actually no...

In Quebec since 2010 with bill 60 and now all across Canada since feburary for Bell, the penalty to break your contact is the rebate you initially got to sign the contrat, prorated.

and if you do bring your unlocked device you'll get 10% off your monthly plan (if it's over 50$/month)