He told me it was indestructible. I disagree.

TannerMcCoolman

Our good ol' buddy Keith from the small tech shop we bought out told us this Panasonic Toughbook laptop was indestructible. We don’t think so. But just how much damage can it take? What ARE the standards for deeming a computer as “rugged”? Was Keith overselling it or does this PC have an adamantium chassis and the ability to regenerate?

Having used Toughbooks in Iraq and Military from 2005-2010, can atest they are extremely rugged and durable and withstand a TON of abuse. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Okay, lighting the laptop on fire totally got me. It's impressive it made it alive, because I am sure it's engineers didn't account for this as only a small unpopular and obsolete Canadian person who is really short and apparently wears pink socks would ever commit to such sanity.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

It’s interesting that they built the PC to be resistant against fire. I mean what job can you think of where the workers’ computers might catch on fire lol

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

If I could get my hands on this thing, it would be a dream come true.

I've had 2 SSD's die on me and I've lost so much information including footage and photos from like around 7 years ago due to overheating problems. At least that's what I think has happened cause new SSD = no problem.

17 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

It’s interesting that they built the PC to be resistant against fire. I mean what job can you think of where the workers’ computers might catch on fire lol

firefighter

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

8 minutes ago, djksm said:

firefighter

Yeah but like why would you bring your computer out to an active fire though-

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

2 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Yeah but like why would you bring your computer out to an active fire though-

to see the adress/people/calls

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

I hate you for destroying one of God's greatest gifts to mankind.

I love that you let that little Toughbook go out with honor, class and style, reminding the world of what it and its brethren can do. Seriously, if Russia nukes us, I'm finding the nearest surplus PC shop and hiding under a stack of Toughbooks, because they will survive.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, djksm said:

to see the adress/people/calls

yeah but they'd probably just leave that in the fire truck..

2 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

I mean it's probably just resistant to extreme heat in general which can include fires. 

But imagine you have a super important document on one of these and the building/vehicle you're in catches fire, that would be an issue if they aren't fireproof 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The "super specific wood thickness" is meant to set the pulse width of the drop. The "soft" plywood is meant to decrease the peak acceleration perceived by the DUT by spreading out the shock over a wider time window. You can think of this as the DUT "de-accelerating" a bit slower than if it were to hit concrete directly.

It's all about the "area under the curve." A 10,000 gee peak shock pulse may seem like a lot, but it's not much if it only lasts a few microseconds. In contrast, a shock pulse of 1500 gees for 100 milliseconds will likely rip components off a PCB.

Here's another example, the table in MIL-STD-883 2002.5 lists several peak gee levels and pulse widths:

image.png.b7ef436ad0eb390b0c91254ec5107374.png

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

I mean it's probably just resistant to extreme heat in general which can include fires. 

But imagine you have a super important document on one of these and the building/vehicle you're in catches fire, that would be an issue if they aren't fireproof 

That’s true but like- can’t you just use that argument to argue for all laptops having heat resistance 

like that’s a very niche use case that less than a niche group of people will actually be using

only 1 laptop does not fear linus...

the tough book!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

4 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

In those situations, you'd be lucky if they can even find the laptop. Especially in the case of a structure fire since the rubble is usually bulldozed immediately after fire marshals are done investigating. Often it's unsafe to allow people to dig for items themselves or risk the safety of the fire crews to retrieve stuff. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I Love it.

Have been waiting years for this video.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

I heard a story recently of someone who had a Toughbook under their arm at a urinal, accidentally dropped it, it bounced off the floor and shattered the urinal from below. 

Linus et al at the end:

spacer.png

But in all seriousness, it's not incorrect to say that the MIL STD standard testing is a little... "lacking". It's meant for the 95% use case, which generally isn't going to be "Hucked off a humvee onto the highway at 80mph", it's going to be "dropped out of a second story window" or "knocked off a road case and smushed into the corner of the carrier". As others have noted: The plywood is there to make the impact last longer: It's weirdly easier to survive hitting a hard surface than it is a soft surface because as you're decelerating, you feel all the resistance to slow you down *over a longer period of time*. 

There're also other places where these are super useful: 

• Airport refueling stations (Jet fuel! Bad weather! Carts that whip around!)
  • Dockside environments (corrosive, salt-laden fog!)
  • Industrial environments (like a place known as The Worst Place On Earth, a steel mill and radioactive, toxic tailings pond)
  • Basically, anywhere you would go "yeah that's probably dangerous for normal tech".

A friend of mine bought a Toughbook competitor (Getac) a while back and would regularly sit in the tub with it watching youtube videos before he sold it. 

One important feature of a lot of these is the IP6X rating: Full dust sealing. One that you might not think about is Salt Fog protection, as seen in the Getac X600 Pro specs:

image.thumb.png.b9588d56cc8f78190e70c925581a0165.png

In ocean environments, such as on docksides and in areas where you have saltwater fog coming in, electronics will slowly corrode themselves to death if they're not protected against the certification. Also noted here is a milstd 461G -- A series of tests that is more akin to "A more robust version of the FCC part 15 certification", making sure that under heavy RF noise environments there are no mission-stopper failures. Normal laptops do weird things when you drag them into adverse RF environments like on the top of radio towers. 

And it's important to consider: Mission-Stopper failure is the key for all the MIL-STD spec stuff: If I can pull the hard drive and RAM out, slap it into a new machine of the same type, kiss any booboos that might have occurred on someone's head/foot/etc from the fall, slap them on the ass and tell them to get back on the field, that's super duper. The critical part of the mission is the data on that disk. The fact I don't have to do that *every* time someone leaves their laptop on the top of the jeep? Only once out of every 10...ish times someone does it? That's savings in the bank right there. 

All I really want to know is, what's the highest spec and most durable laptop on the market? Like something that can take a bullet and still chug along.

7 minutes ago, AceOfCaydes said:

All I really want to know is, what's the highest spec and most durable laptop on the market? Like something that can take a bullet and still chug along.

Some Toughbooks saved lives during the Iraq/Afghanistan days (link). I don't think the US Army will ever back up any claims beyond anecdotes, but if LTT would like to visit Seattle with a Toughbook or two, I'm sure we could find a range that would let them do some testing!

Hmm I dont want flex but I have to...
I bought with my own Money a brand new Dell Rugged Tablet and I love that beast. Currently we have ~20cm Snow and more and I can going outside and Film, Make Pictures with my Phone and upload them via the Tablet into my Cloud. Nothing say better "snob" than waiting for an Train in an Remote part of the Country and play some good old Games in the Snow and see other people stare at me why my "Laptop" is not death yet. The Weatherforcast say -11 during the night in the next days.

From AT. :x