rossman has lost the plot, hasn't he?

Soukamoshirenai
28 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

What ever dude. I had my AV bitch about Facebook ads. If you want to trust that a billion dollar corporation to do the right thing, then dont use ad block. I wont be doing that cause Im not an idiot, I know these corporations who sell ads dont give a fuck, all they care about is money, pools of money. 

Yet you are here on Linus Tech Tips forums which doesnt. I love irony.

Word is if you spend 1000$ at LTTstore.com canadian you get to say anything you want.

For a quarter million you even get to have dinner with Linus himself

For 1 billion you get to eat a lavish meal with his wife. Jensen has unique exotic tastes.

Ross is openly admitted to being autistic. His prefrontal cortex folds are most impressive. Automatically im really interested in what he has to say. Especially when he isnt improvising with RTX 3090 hardware on the next generation die IRT.

42 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

What ever dude. I had my AV bitch about Facebook ads. If you want to trust that a billion dollar corporation to do the right thing, then dont use ad block. I wont be doing that cause Im not an idiot, I know these corporations who sell ads dont give a fuck, all they care about is money, pools of money. 

You know... false positives are a thing and are common, and trigger on extensions just as well. 
Its not that we trust a billion dollar corp to do the right thing, its more that ads on these services run tracking scripts that are limited in scope, javascript exploits in these types of ads are exceedingly rare and are no more common than a site itself being hijacked through supply chain attacks, there is a reason the ads are not interactable anymore. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Using or not using ad blockers doesn't have a person become an idiot, on the other hand, going around calling people idiots...

I personally don't block any ads. Not deliberately. I am only interested in blocking trackers and therefore basicly only employ privacybadger.

But with the state of the ad-industry at large beeing what it is that means that i'm blocking ads.

I don't see that as a me problem.

9 hours ago, TheLuciferPhenotype said:

Thats because hes lying.

He might be inflating the problem, but there's a well documented history in highly automated ad platforms beeing leveraged in phishing attempts and to straight up spread malware.

Blocking ads in corporate networks simply from a security angle is absolutely not unheard of.

3 hours ago, Polderviking said:

He might be inflating the problem

A little more than just inflating, I might say, as he basically simply goes to Facebook and gets attacked by malware to the point where his AV goes fallout shelter mode. 🤭

I sadly must agree that he seems more unhinged lately, like claiming he could get an old electronic device which official specs put at 320x200 display resolution to SHOW a 4K stream, not run it, but actually show a 4K stream in 4K. It came after his computer was told it wouldn't get the 4K stream as it was not able to output a 4K image. Rossmann neither responded about giving specs on the media computer he got the message on, or about doing a video showing him running any 4K content in 4K on the other device with the 320x200 resolution display.
He also never replied why the one thing about not being able to see a downloaded video after x time on a phone was such a dealbreaker for Youtube Premium (By him called Youtube Red) since every other reason he gave was for other platforms not run by google.

while i agree rossman has LOST it and has been sipping a biit to much of his own kool-aid (he thinks hes some kind of right to repair/tech evanglist) 

but when the going got tought he dipped out of the state (after years saying he wouldn't) and has fuck all to show for it I might add 

but ads ARE evil because there is no such thing as non-intrusive ad because the industry is not tightly regulated enough

many people here don't understand that the ad-industry blew though its goodwill a long long time ago and there existence has been barely tolerable 

No-more  

I feel sorry for those that decided to make there living off ad-revune but as far as I am concerned the party is OVER 

people should have considered that before abusing the ad-system and pushing garbage now you are done as far as I am concerned you where given a inch you decided to take 20 miles fuck off die stop existing please!

every creator on the platform should be on notice now straiten up diversify or get ready to wait in line at the shelter because the times they are a changing 

On 11/15/2023 at 6:14 PM, Donut417 said:

I have had ads on Facebook try to give me malware. So yes in my eyes all ads are bad because these dumb fucks refuse to verify who they are selling ads to.

To me this is the biggest issue companies like Google need to deal with BEFORE they keep attacking their end users. TV had to vet out which advertisements they allowed. Some bad things would slip through the cracks but for the most part they were ontop of what was being used for advertising on their platform. Online advertising is just a giant cesspool of more than 50% of everything I see is either a straight scam or not an accurate description of what is trying to be sold. They have bots scanning every random youtube upload to check for copywriten music/video/etc where before its even seen by the public its flagged. Yet users have to be the ones to report to Google and alike that the ads they are serving are another "MR.BEAST $1000 Giveaway IF YOU BUY NOW" scam by the official MR.Beast company called "Sir.Beest Prudectionz" official sponsor on youtube for kids.

Google expects everyone to stop using adblocking when users are being served 20 minute ads 3 times in a row for a 1 minute long funny video a youtube channel with 10 subscribers uploaded for a school project. and while trying to find the video for class you have to scroll through at least 3 sponsored videos with straight up scams trying to look like giveaways.

If ads where not nearly as visually/audio/length intrusive and quality controlled I don't mind them nearly as much to try and find ways to circumvent them.

12 hours ago, Legitsu said:

while i agree rossman has LOST it and has been sipping a biit to much of his own kool-aid (he thinks hes some kind of right to repair/tech evanglist) 

but when the going got tought he dipped out of the state (after years saying he wouldn't) and has fuck all to show for it I might add 

I unsubscribed a while back, when his content shifted away from R2R advocacy and board repair, to almost exclusively whining about New York. “Sipping his own Kool-Aid” is a succinct way to put it. 

Recently I clicked on one of his videos, and all the ads were for “doomsday is imminent” and “get the message out to the real patriots” type content. Never got those ads before. 

Yeeah…

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

He turned to the tech world's own Guitologist, dude can fix and made great videos about fixing old guitar amps and stuff but holy shit his political rants and takes are bad.

What it comes to funding YouTube, I am really amazed one very simple way to up their ad revenue without making the ads as awful as they are today is simply starting to auction the ad-space. I wouldn't have a problem if there was a static banner under the video, maybe couple elsewhere as long as they aren't flashing and screaming and all that shit and someone like Alphabet could pull shit ton of money out of those by simply going "You want your ad under this video from this person who will pull couple million views per hour, outbid the advertiser who's ad is shown there now." Same with Google search, you want your site to the one of the 3 allocated ad-hits on certain search, outbid the ones shown there. Simple as that. Someone wants their ad under the Mr. Beast video, be ready to pay couple kidneys for it, there is some pool of random ads that get placed in the banners automatically, but viral videos and advertisers need to start competing who really wants their ad under it.

No need for complex bullshit. Few static image banners per page and that's all there is. If mobile game company doesn't like that their ad doesn't make everyone with more than 2 working brain cells vomit, they can fuck off, I believe Alphabet can find some bank or whatever else pay $100,000 for their ad image and link being under Mr. Beast video. The random ad pool can be problematic to fill but pulling extreme moneys from viral videos and the huge content creators will be a goldmine.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:11 PM, taekononomiya said:

The right move is to always call 911 or take your dog to the veterinary. A person is having a seizure and you want to watch a YouTube video? What the heck am I reading, what unhinged timeline is this. 

For example we have Pet Ambulances here, they will arive faster than you can with your car, because they turn on the siren and go slowly over all the red lights.
So you might not be aware of that but some countries like mine (you said 911 so I assume you're american), you can get very cheap insurance for your dog.
There is no need to get into a car, dive over the speed limit while they can come to your house and anything necessary to sabilize your dog, while you drive like a maniac and over the speed limit, or should I believe that you will stand on a red light for 1-2min while your dog might be (we don't know) dying?

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

11 minutes ago, BotDamian said:

For example we have Pet Ambulances here, they will arive faster than you can with your car, because they turn on the siren and go slowly over all the red lights.

Not sure that is a thing over here in the US. Even calling 911 might not help, as Im not sure first responders have training when it comes to animals.

12 minutes ago, BotDamian said:

you can get very cheap insurance for your dog.

Lets add that on top of all the other insurance we get offered. Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Major Sickness insurance, house/renters insurance, car insurance, etc.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 11/23/2023 at 9:29 PM, Needfuldoer said:

I unsubscribed a while back, when his content shifted away from R2R advocacy and board repair, to almost exclusively whining about New York.

I agree. Although i'm not sure if beeing able to base  a YT channel, at least in part, around the antics of NY bureaucrats is a NY problem or a Rossmann problem.

I have never seen Malwarebytes complain about an ad, I can only imagine anyone seeing that has a wider issue on their PC.

I pay for youtube premium, its my families main content source now. We don't watch terrestrial TV and there is so much great content on youtube.

I solved the YT ad problem by just getting a YT Premium sub. cancelled my Spotify account, got YT+ YT Music for nearly the same price.

This is only a problem for people who make it a problem.

8 minutes ago, Kazlehoff said:

I solved the YT ad problem by just getting a YT Premium sub. cancelled my Spotify account, got YT+ YT Music for nearly the same price.

This is only a problem for people who make it a problem.

Not everyone cares about the music included. Also many of us are experiencing subscription fatigue. Because about every product and service now days wants to sell a damn subscription. If Premium was half the price I would have already subscribed, Google is too fucking greedy. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Not everyone cares about the music included. Also many of us are experiencing subscription fatigue. Because about every product and service now days wants to sell a damn subscription. If Premium was half the price I would have already subscribed, Google is too fucking greedy. 

you dont have to sub. its also offered free. with ads.

sub, or ads. either way, its still only a problem for those who are making it into a problem.

5 hours ago, Kazlehoff said:

you dont have to sub. its also offered free. with ads.

sub, or ads. either way, its still only a problem for those who are making it into a problem.

Advertisers can fuck themselves. The ads on Youtube have been getting more ridiculous as time has gone on. 2024 is an election year in the US, meaning ads are going to go full blown R Tard.  Also there is no difference in me using Ad Blockers vs using a DVR, because I record and watch Live TV via DVR so I dont have to deal with ads.

more wth ads.

yeah am tired of those.

rossman thing. yeah more un hing.

ego  a thing. if you dont keep it in check.

even steve gotten into that to .

both fan base are at least 40%  toxic.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

This always seems unpopular when I suggest this but I'm damned if I'll let this idea go.  Make Youtube entirely ad free.  Once you hit the 'subscribe' button you're saying to Google "Yes, please show me some ads at the start/middle/end of this content".  Why ads have to be forced down our necks on nearly every video is beyond me.  "You want to watch a third video by this creator? Please subscribe and enable ads on it to support them."  It would be so much simpler

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

On 11/28/2023 at 4:17 PM, SimplyChunk said:

This always seems unpopular when I suggest this but I'm damned if I'll let this idea go.  Make Youtube entirely ad free.  Once you hit the 'subscribe' button you're saying to Google "Yes, please show me some ads at the start/middle/end of this content".  Why ads have to be forced down our necks on nearly every video is beyond me.  "You want to watch a third video by this creator? Please subscribe and enable ads on it to support them."  It would be so much simpler

So you don’t want people to subscribe to any creators and also they won’t get paid? Interesting

8 hours ago, Vilacom said:

So you don’t want people to subscribe to any creators and also they won’t get paid? Interesting

That's not what I'm saying at all

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 hour ago, SimplyChunk said:

That's not what I'm saying at all

Your idea would lead to people NOT subscribing to channels if that avoids ads. That would be the opposite creators want.... they all want us to subscribe. If we don't subscribe, they depend on the algorithm pushing their content. 

I think ads only will work if the ratio of content to ads gets better and the ads get better and more appropriate. These days my adblocker sometimes fails. And dear Lord, it is like 30% ad content and ads for stuff that has nothing to do with the video or me. I rather read a book if I have to watch those ads.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

seriously add blocking is joke.i watch my youtube on an Samsung tv,every time i block advert i keep getting same advert even its blocked.blocking adverts and clicking to block it is a joke.

i mainly do it skipp adverts with blocking them.

Honestly, i know he did a lot for the "right to repair" stuff, i won't take that away from him, sure. but the channel itself is obnoxious as heck, it has run its course simply, let it go, watch something else, you'll be fine. ~

that was the tldr; to all of this 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer