AMD’s 128 Core MONSTER CPU – Holy $H!T

JordB

I found a (small) mistake. I think you meant pound force inches, not foot pounds, as you were tightening the CPU down. Minute 6:18

This might be in my budget sometime next year and it would be well worth it. I like building multi Threaded trading bots and this would be a huge boost to performance even with a slower clock speed.

55 minutes ago, Lukas_2121 said:

I found a (small) mistake. I think you meant pound force inches, not foot pounds, as you were tightening the CPU down. Minute 6:18

Good catch, you're right, we're working on updating the video

I commented before on this, but I hope you vetted Odoo's customer service before picking them up as a sponsor.  I ultimately had to have American Express block them from further charges on my credit card because there was no clear path to cancel service and the contact information that had for my "account rep" was bogus so I had no way to contact them. This was as recent as six months ago.

What even are those benchmarks? Surely something better could have been picked... Like obviously a 128 core zen 4 processor would be at least three times as fast as a 32 core zen 1 one.

I checked my AMD CPU (via `lscpu`) and found out that they use SI units on the spec sheet on their website to represent IEC units for L3 (and other) cache. Please start using IEC/binary units where applicable! SI units are deprecated/legacy for measuring size information. They (units) are confusing!

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

just think next 5 years amd highest end cpu will be well over 128 cores

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

9 hours ago, Nathat23 said:

What even are those benchmarks? Surely something better could have been picked... Like obviously a 128 core zen 4 processor would be at least three times as fast as a 32 core zen 1 one.

it might have to do with the time it needs to spool up being significant when the benchmark goes over *this* fast, the losses of extreme parallelization, and lower clocks because thermals.

also - they mention exactly this at around the 20 minute mark; benchmarks that can actually utilize chips like this dont really exist, because the intended customer for this type of product is also the type of customer that does their own testing.

2 hours ago, Karbust said:

Mind telling what screwdriver was used? I'm for one but as I never used EPYC (or threadripper for that matter), I'm not sure which one to get...

Thank you

I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe we used this one from GearWrench:

https://www.gearwrench.com/products/torque-products/screwdriver/89624-14-drive-torque-screwdriver-10-50-inlbs

They've got a handful of options depending on what range / units you're after:

https://www.gearwrench.com/all-tools/torque-products/screwdriver

@Karbust Wera, Wiha, PB-swiss. All of them have adjustable torque wrenches with scale.

At the moment I am using Wiha TorqueVario S ESD.

When buying this tool make sure to check service prices as once per year they need to be inspected/calibrated.

People never go out of business.

What's that plate the mobo was screwed on to? Looks like something really useful just to assemble the mobo before popping in a case as well as a temporary test bench if needed.

Thanks!

On 11/17/2023 at 6:48 AM, ulsting said:

What's that plate the mobo was screwed on to? Looks like something really useful just to assemble the mobo before popping in a case as well as a temporary test bench if needed.

Thanks!

Check out https://openbenchtable.com/ 

On 11/16/2023 at 4:56 PM, JordB said:

I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe we used this one from GearWrench:

https://www.gearwrench.com/products/torque-products/screwdriver/89624-14-drive-torque-screwdriver-10-50-inlbs

They've got a handful of options depending on what range / units you're after:

https://www.gearwrench.com/all-tools/torque-products/screwdriver

On 11/16/2023 at 5:30 PM, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

@Karbust Wera, Wiha, PB-swiss. All of them have adjustable torque wrenches with scale.

At the moment I am using Wiha TorqueVario S ESD.

When buying this tool make sure to check service prices as once per year they need to be inspected/calibrated.

I ended up not needing the screwdriver as the combo cpu+mobo+ram I bought from ebay (EPYC 7551P with Supermicro H11SSL-i) already came with the CPU mounted.

I already investigated about buying one in the future and I'm probably going with Wera, their calibration system is not expensive (75€ in Europe) and the screwdriver itself is also usually with discounts on Amazon.

Thank you both