I need a new phone.

JordB

For me, I would have to recommend the new iPhone pro max - you get the usb speed you desire, works really well with your preferred brand of headphones, gorgeous screen, good camera. Maybe it is time to try the forbidden fruit once more?

durability perhaps not so good for you though, but I’m sure d-brand can hook you up with a stonking case

I wish him to use FAIRPHONE 5!
it would go along the framework laptop ideals set the new trend linus!!

I mean google pixel 8 gets announced tomorrow. we should see what it has to offer.

2 hours ago, JordB said:

Thanks to an unexpected dip in the pool, Linus' trusty Z Fold 3 is out of commission, and he needs YOUR help picking his next phone!

Id say pick the asus zenfone 10 it is a pretty good phone it has a headphone jack it will have 4 years of security updates and 2 years software updates it has good audio and a good camera it has a very good screen on it as well but it is a midrange phone around 600 USD

Hi Team/Linus

I do want to recommend the iPhone 15 pro (not max because smaller ish phone). Although I use an iPhone, I am not recommending for any “fanboy” reasons. The iPhone seams to tick many of the boxes you’re looking for besides side loading. The main reason is that I am genuinely curious about the experience of switching to iPhone from Android and I’d like to hear your experience. Being able to change setting on your AirPods daily drivers is a nice bonus if they survived their swim. 

Thanks

Let's get him a fair phone or a Nokia G42

Both built with repairability and longevity in mind! They are the closest things to framework phones and great opportunity to promote greener tech!

HONOR Magic V2. You seemed to like the fold 3 and this seems like a solid alternative.

Sony Xperia 1 V (5) Very Durable, Very Fast & Very Good Phone

Maybe get a Vivo X Note

Its  huge, has the best fingerprint sensor on the market, one of the best cameras too, doesnt have back glass that can break (because its leather) and up to 12gb RAM+ 512gb ROM, all that for a good price

IMG_0227.png

Linus should get a Motorola Moto G, watching the video, he'd really enjoy the Motorola gestures for flashlight and camera, most if not all Moto G's have a headphone jack, and there's Moto G Stylus if he really wants a pen. So a Motorola Moto G Stylus 5G? It released in 2021, upgradeable to Android 12, has a dedicated microSDXC slot, 128-256GB internal and 4-6GB ram, a nice camera. Problem is it only goes up to USB 2.0 and WIFI 80.211 ac

Currently in the market for a new phone too but can’t decide between Galaxy Fold 5 and iPhone 15 pro.

Though for the sake of a new video Linus might consider a fairphone too, given his love for the framework laptop.

I would love a comparison between these phones!

2 hours ago, MrSquishie said:

I've personally had a great experience with Xiaomi products, currently running a Xiaomi Mi11 Lite 5G.

I'd like to put forward the Xiaomi 13 Pro.spacer.png
OS wise, it's running MIUI14 (Global release) so running Android 13 and from experience, I've had at minimum 3-4 years of main OS support with 5-6 (my previous device) security updates. Unlockable Bootloader so you can install a custom OS, like I have.
Supports all but 1 of the NA cellular bands Listed under "Network & Connectivity"
Still supports Google and all its services & obviously can sideload apps too.
Repairability is usually great, iFixit has carried some key parts like glass and batteries but it is pretty easy to find basically everything you'd need to replace anything either through local suppliers or even AliExpress (I had to replace my fingerprint sensor and rear glass on my Mi11 and a number of batteries over the years).
Fitted with Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
3 Leica camera sensors, all 50MP and from my experience with other devices that family use, the main MIUI camera app can have the beauty modes turned completely off and doesn't overly process images or video. Stabilisation is good but not great. A function enabled in settings allows for fast access to the camera by double pressing the volume down key too.

Also dont forget the charging speed of the xiomi phones

I would recomend u the samsung galaxy s22 ultra or the s23 ultra, as u said, u are used to the samsung enviroment, it's new, it will upgrde for the next 3-4 years, both have nice cameras, and the best creen in the market if what u rearch is color acuracy as u said. They have a lot of memory so u don't need to put an sd, they have fingerprint unlock and the s-`pe for those rare ocasions when u take a selfie. Finaly u didn't mention that but if u use an smart watch the samsung one's are really good, in some things better than te apple watch in some things worst but over all a really good watch and very reliable and durable, i have one from 2020 and it's good as new. 

If u don't like mi firs recomendation u are wrong but i must say that the fair phone is not as good but really godd ans very easy to repair.

2 hours ago, Spindel said:

iPhone 13 Mini

Come and join the ”phone that is comfortable in pants pockets” -master race!

a tiny phone for a tiny man

Even though Linus has recently made a video about one plus I've loved almost everything from my one plus 9. But if not a Google pixel 7 is amazing as well. 

As much as he seems to lean towards Samsung, in the video he seemed open to trying an iPhone again. I’ve had a great experience with my iPhone 14 Pro (not max) and think that his wants for a one hand phone, but something big enough to still do work on would be answered with this. Battery life has held up amazing, and durability is great, particularly when compared to the 15. I personally use a case but I drop and throw my phone quite often and have experienced zero damage so far. Also in terms of battery life, the magsafe portable charger has always appealed to me, not something i’ve ever needed personally but would definelty benefit someone who is on the go and worried about battery life.