I need a new phone.

JordB

@LinusTech, @JordB I would recommend the Nokia XR21.

https://pdaplaza.ca/products/nokia-xr21-5g-dual-sim-6gb-128gb-midnight-black-global

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-xr-21/specs?sku=VMA752H9FI1CN0

Specs:

NETWORK

Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE / 5G 2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only) 3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 28, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 48, 66, 71 5G bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 20, 25, 28, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA Speed HSPA, LTE-A, 5G LAUNCH Announced 2023, May 03 

Released 2023, June 11

BODY Dimensions 168 x 78.6 x 10.5 mm (6.61 x 3.09 x 0.41 in)

Weight 231 g (8.15 oz) Build Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), plastic back, plastic frame SIM Single SIM (Nano-SIM, eSIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) IP68/IP69K dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 60 min) Drop-to-concrete resistance from up to 1.8m MIL-STD-810H compliant DISPLAY Type IPS LCD, 120Hz, 450 nits (typ), 550 nits (HBM) Size 6.49 inches, 101.7 cm2 (~77.0% screen-to-body ratio) Resolution 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~406 ppi density) Protection Corning Gorilla Glass Victus PLATFORM OS Android 13 (up to Android 15, 4 years security updates) Chipset Qualcomm SM6375 Snapdragon 695 5G (6 nm) CPU Octa-core (2x2.2 GHz Kryo 660 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 660 Silver) GPU Adreno 619 MEMORY Card slot Unspecified Internal 128GB 6GB RAM MAIN CAMERA Dual 64 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/2", PDAF 8 MP, f/2.2, (ultrawide), 1/4.0", 1.12µm Features Dual-LED dual-tone flash, second LED flash, HDR, panorama Video 1080p@30fps SELFIE CAMERA Single 16 MP, f/2.4 (wide) Video 1080p@30fps SOUND Loudspeaker Yes, with stereo speakers 3.5mm jack Yes COMMS WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX Adaptive Positioning GPS (L1+L5), GLONASS (G1), BDS (B1I+B1c+B2a), GALILEO (E1+E5a), QZSS (L1+L5), NavIC (L5) NFC Yes (market/region dependent) Radio Unspecified USB USB Type-C 2.0, OTG FEATURES Sensors Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer

BATTERY Type Li-Po 4800 mAh, non-removable Charging 33W wired, PD2.0, QC3 MISC Colors Midnight Black, Pine Green Price USD

$ 499.99 / £ 499.99 / € 579.48 / $825 CAD

escape the duality between apple and samsung, get a xiaomi 13 ultra

been rocking the 12s ultra for a year and it's amazing but it needed some tinkering to install the european rom, now 13 ultra had a global release so you shouldn't have any issue.

Just now, Mempcon said:

It's basic but it's good, the S23 Ultra

I've been using it since it came out and its been a monster, this thing has demolished every task I throw at it. it also has a nice big screen for multitasking. It has one of the best camera systems on the market and a high-quality bright panel. The battery life is one of my favorite things about the phone. I take mine off the charger at 6:30 in the morning and plug it in around 7-8 at night. The in-display fingerprint scanner is worse than the Fold 3 but it's faster than the S21 Ultra that you complained about on Wan show. it uses the latest Gorilla Glass Victus 2 and has the spen for those moments where it's just nice like signing a document, taking a quick note, or using it as a camera shutter. I've also been running the one UI 6 beta and so far it's looking really good. The phone also gets 4 years of software support so it will get up to Android 17. I would heavily recommend the 512GB version because of the upgraded RAM. Samsung also always has sales on their devices so you will have a good chance of getting it cheaper than retail. I'm also a very clumsy person and ran mine without a case for about 3 months and it survived some really hard drops that I was sure would kill it. Overall the 23 Ultra is a super solid pick and would be one of your best options. Samsung isnt the best when it comes to repairability but they aren't the worst. Samsung offers repair kits on Ifixits website and things like the back glass and battery are very easy to repair and take about an hour. Now time for downsides. the 23 Ultra will only have those genuine Samsung parts after the s24 series gets released next February. Also as I said before, the screen isn't as big as the fold, so not as much multitasking, and the fingerprint scanner isn't as good as the fold. I would also keep a good eye on the Google event tomorrow and see what they have to offer. good luck 🙂

The S24 ultra will release in January so it’d be bad for his phone to already he outdated 3 months into its lifetime

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Yeah, would be interesting to see Fairphone 5, even if it might need to be imported. Since it could be interesting to see how long they actually support it.
image.thumb.png.e2e2186e98286e3b5344210705c3ddb3.png

Here is one I recently got the Doogee V30T to replace my previous phone:
https://doogeemall.com/en-de/products/doogee-v30t?variant=43691779850488

It is a rugged phone that can take a beating, and keep on ticking. It is waterproof, dust-proof, shockproof, but I will NOT guarantee if it is bulletproof.
They have brought out some newer models in the recent weeks, so you might want to check those out as well.

My wife and son also have rugged phones from Doogee, and none have us have regretted the purchases.

My suggestion is the Sony Xperia 5V.

Its got a very good camera with a dedicated button, and the option of a super advanced photo app. Good enogh screen with a 21:9 format in 1080p 120hz.

Its got a headphone jack and a SD card expansion (i know he said he didn't like them). 

Its also ip 65/68 rated for your pool fishing needs. 

Sony has been an underdog for quite some time, so would be nice to see someone give them a fair chance. 

Xperia 5 V | Ny telefon. Ny meg. | Smarttelefoner | Sony Norge

Edit: added the correct picture

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

iPhone 15Pro or 15ProMax. Would totally like to see YOUR review of that phone.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Hey Linus, I love my pixel phone 7. But if you love to fold and flip. Maybe you can go with the Samsung Galaxy Z flip 5. 

Btw, big fan.

I've enjoyed my Sony Xperia 1 III, and have considered the newest Xperia 1 V as my potential upgrade. 

Samsung Galaxy XCover 6 Pro, the only phone that can stand against Linus 😅

A rugged phone, no case needed, 120Hz big display, relatively new, will get Android 14, so yeah it can survive at least 1 year with him 👌🏻

samsung-galaxy-xcover6-pro-1.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I build custom Linux systems on different hardware architectures for living 😉

Laptop: HP Envy x360 convertible 13-ay0xxx / Ryzen 7 4700U / 16G 3200MHZ RAM

Desktop: ASRock B450M Pro4 / Ryzen 7 1700X / Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE / Corsair Vengeance LPX Kit 16GB, DDR4-2666MHz / Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD - 500GB / Thermaltake TR2 S - 450W / Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-05 Case

Anyone notice the voice quality change in some of the video segments? E.g.

I didn't hear a change anywhere else and it only appeared in cutaways, so I guess a re-recording done later on? Or is it AI *puts on tinfoil hat*.

44 minutes ago, ThatFinn said:

The Fairphone 5 would be a great option. It's easily repairable so he doesn't need a case.

Youtube comments and Reddit seem to be fond of the idea. I'd love to see Linus with a Fairphone 5

LG V60 would be good with their Military Grade Rating

lg-v60-thinq-5g-b.jpg

Z fold 5 or S23 Ultra. recently bought a S23 Ultra for my wife it's an amazing phone. I hate the fact that Samsung doesn't include headphones and Charger anymore.

any of the sony xperia 1 line up (although probably the V since its the newest) that phone is designed for the enthusiasts. it has usb 3.0, a 3.5 jack, great quality camera, that can easily be accessed by hitting the power button twice. the camera has actual real camera settings. camera settings like shutter speed and exposure. i had no idea how much i wanted those settings in a phone till i got my sony. and since this phone is meant for the creators, its default screen color settings is not vivid. it even has a white balance setting and you can manually adjust the colors how you see fit. the screen is longer with is great for reading articles, yet skinny so i can easily use one hand when typing. it doesn't have a lot of bloatware (it has some, but not nearly as much as others) its fast and snappy. has 120hz refresh rate screen. security updates is supported for at least 4 years. there is no notch/camera bump on the screen. also it has a very cool feature that if you plug it in to charge at night, it will charge slowly to preserve the battery. and yes you can turn this off.

i love my sony phone.

Samsung A52S was unfortunately not released in NA but 4G bands should work. It's a A52 that was released in NA but more powerful. It should be a upgrade to the Note 9 minus the stylus.

Features:

• Dual sim for sim and micro sd.
  • Headphone jack
  • Android 11, upgradable to Android 13, 
  • Bigger battery than Note 9 (4500 vs 4000)
  • 120 Hz display

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=11039&idPhone2=9163

6 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

My suggestion is the Sony Xperia 5V.

Its got a very good camera with a dedicated button, and the option of a super advanced photo app. Good enogh screen with a 21:9 format in 1080p 120hz.

Its got a headphone jack and a SD card expansion (i know he said he didn't like them). 

Its also ip 65/68 rated for your pool fishing needs. 

Sony has been an underdog for quite some time, so would be nice to see someone give them a fair chance. 
[picture snip]

That picture shows Xperia 5 IV...

My suggestion would be Xperia 5 V.

@LinusTech @JordB How about a follow up to the 5 year test? The OnePlus 7 Pro (which I believe you liked quite bit) had enjoyed one of the best community supported years a phone has ever seen. There are some truly great ROM's which are not only secure and unjank but also improve majorly and intoruce some modern features it didn't originally had. Same goes for the camera (I'm biased since I've worked on that a lot with over 15k downloads, but it outperforms the Pixel and iPhone by a lot)

I'm sure you will not find it a sacrifce. Or you will and it still be a great video. Anyway big win for preventing e-waste and proving phones last a long, long time.

Also no TWRP or anything required, weekly OTA. It's so much easier nowadays.

Honestly I kinda want to see Linus daily drive a Sony phone. IMO Samsung needs to be taken down a few pegs. I keep seeing "Samsung exclusive" WAY too often for a phone OS platform that's supposed to be "open". Like, who do they think they are? Apple?

I've been using an Xperia 5 II since it came out in the US and I think it's a great phone. For me, I have a few "must haves" and it checks all the boxes for me, a headphone jack and stereo speakers being two of the things Linus mentioned. 

They don't have a folding phone yet, which I'm sure Linus will be disappointed about, but besides that, I think Sony phone won't be a bad option.

41 minutes ago, christiansen said:

You invested in the Framework Laptop, you should try the Fairfone 5image.thumb.png.8b17494f5b3147b82752a42a4dc39814.png

PS: I repaired my Fairfone 3+ also with the lttstore.com Screwdriver

The biggest issue with the Fairphone would be it's lack of compatibilty in North America. Their own FAQ page are pointing that they are set up for European coverage and not for NA.   

Samsung S22/S23 Ultra or try to wait until the S24 is released (Feb 2024?)

I am daily driving the S22 Ultra for a bit more than a year now (European version, so no Snapdragon 😞 ) and I am trully enjoying the big screen and the S-pen. Previous phone was a S20, my daily phone has been a Samsung since the S6 and I am really enjoying the Samsung landscape. I have tried an iPhone for my work, but i can't get used to the iOS experience. Work phone is a Motorola moto g9 plus due to the large battery life when idle (which that phone usually is, only using it for MS 2F calls).