I need a new phone.

JordB

Background: I’ve used Android phones since the HTC Nexus One. More recently, I’ve been on the Samsung train for several years now. I had the Note 10, S20+, and S22+. When I started a new job, they said I needed a work phone so I gave Apple a shot with the 13 Pro.  

Most of what I use at work is internet based. A lot of people strongly dislike Safari for whatever reason, but it does something no other browser does to my knowledge. So you have different project groups open on you laptop. Say something like 6 tabs researching one projects, 6 more for a hobby, and like 10 other groups. You can open them on your phone and your tablet. They are already open and grouped. It’s seamless to jump between. Absolutely destroys Chrome.

You use the AirPods. They can jump between devices with no effort. Beats Samsung’s ecosystem by a mile. 

And for these reasons, I went with the iPhone 15 Pro Max from my S22+.  Everything just works.

Now I have a Windows computer at home (12700k, 4080) for everything else, mainly gaming.  Everything still works just the same as if I had Android, as far as what I do. 

• You were concerned with USB speed, iPhone pro has usb3 speeds. They do well with video and photos.
  • The new pro models have a button instead of a switch which you can assign to the camera to keep that quick access.
  • The screen is plenty big on the pro max and the titanium “build” does help keep the weight down.
  • The battery life has been great on both on my iPhones.  
  • You said no case and no wireless charging. If you do go that route, MagSafe is the way to go. There’s no throwing your phone on the plate and wondering if you lined it up right. It just works.
  • The accessory options are endless and integrate better with less models to have to be adapted to. 
  • I do keep a thin case on mine along with a screen protector. The phones are mint. Don’t know how it would hold up naked. 
  • Sound, the speakers are awesome. Loud and clear. I use it on the shower door and can hear the WAN show perfectly clear.
  • I do like CarPlay better than android auto. They are close, but CarPlay is cleaner to me. I hate Apple Maps and you can’t make it not the default, but you can use maps and just put it on the Home Screen. 
  • The iPhone 15 added threads for smart home integration. I don’t personally use it, but it’d be worth a google to see if it could work with your house shenanigans  

That’s my 2 cents. Thanks for your content and keep it up. Good luck on your phone hunting endeavors. 

8 minutes ago, powellbm86 said:

Background: I’ve used Android phones since the HTC Nexus One. More recently, I’ve been on the Samsung train for several years now. I had the Note 10, S20+, and S22+. When I started a new job, they said I needed a work phone so I gave Apple a shot with the 13 Pro.  

Most of what I use at work is internet based. A lot of people strongly dislike Safari for whatever reason, but it does something no other browser does to my knowledge. So you have different project groups open on you laptop. Say something like 6 tabs researching one projects, 6 more for a hobby, and like 10 other groups. You can open them on your phone and your tablet. They are already open and grouped. It’s seamless to jump between. Absolutely destroys Chrome.

You use the AirPods. They can jump between devices with no effort. Beats Samsung’s ecosystem by a mile. 

And for these reasons, I went with the iPhone 15 Pro Max from my S22+.  Everything just works.

Now I have a Windows computer at home (12700k, 4080) for everything else, mainly gaming.  Everything still works just the same as if I had Android, as far as what I do. 

• You were concerned with USB speed, iPhone pro has usb3 speeds. They do well with video and photos.
  • The new pro models have a button instead of a switch which you can assign to the camera to keep that quick access.
  • The screen is plenty big on the pro max and the titanium “build” does help keep the weight down.
  • The battery life has been great on both on my iPhones.  
  • You said no case and no wireless charging. If you do go that route, MagSafe is the way to go. There’s no throwing your phone on the plate and wondering if you lined it up right. It just works.
  • The accessory options are endless and integrate better with less models to have to be adapted to. 
  • I do keep a thin case on mine along with a screen protector. The phones are mint. Don’t know how it would hold up naked. 
  • Sound, the speakers are awesome. Loud and clear. I use it on the shower door and can hear the WAN show perfectly clear.
  • I do like CarPlay better than android auto. They are close, but CarPlay is cleaner to me. I hate Apple Maps and you can’t make it not the default, but you can use maps and just put it on the Home Screen. 
  • The iPhone 15 added threads for smart home integration. I don’t personally use it, but it’d be worth a google to see if it could work with your house shenanigans  

That’s my 2 cents. Thanks for your content and keep it up. Good luck on your phone hunting endeavors. 

And Apple Watch. I’ve used the Galaxy Watch Gear S3 Classic, 4 Classic, and 5 Pro. Yes battery life isn’t great on any of them.

The best in my experience was the 5 Pro. I charged it while I was I. The shower and that was enough for the week. I might slap it in the charger one day on the weekend. Super manageable. 

I did just buy the Apple Watch 9 (steel version). I don’t use the LTE feature. Don’t need it. Just wanted the steel “black” color vice the aluminum “midnight” (it’s not actually black). I charge the watch while I’m playing games for like an hour each day. I usually still have around 50% of my battery. I do a 30 min workout each day with the watch. Passed that, just for normal watch things (time, date, stop watch). I’m no watch power user.  

Hope this helps. 

8 hours ago, ThatFinn said:

The Fairphone 5 would be a great option. It's easily repairable so he doesn't need a case.

I really want him to use calyxOS with a fairphone.

Good privacy OS + Repairable phone must be god

CPU: Fx-9370, GPU: Rx-570, RAM: 16GB DDR3@1800MT/s, 860 EVO SSD, Mobo: crosshair v formula -z

G PRO X SUPERLIGHT, G910, G533

I guess Linus should buy a OnePlus 11 5G or an iPhone 15 Pro Max. Both have an always-on OLED display running at 120Hz (AMOLED is the same as OLED but manufactured by Samsung), exceptional performance, and USB-C with USB 3 speeds. However, in the disadvantages, the OnePlus 11 camera is good but not great, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max back glass cracks easily if you put a lot of physical pressure on it.

Honestly S21 Ultra is killer still. Best looking galaxy. And honestly rules as a phone even still

SONY Xperia 1v.  (GSMarena)
it got

✅ Gorilla Glass Victus 2
✅ IP65/IP68 dust/water resistant
✅ OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR BT.2020
✅ USB Type-C 3.2, OTG, video output
✅ Fingerprint (side-mounted)
✅ Dedicated Camera Button
✅ 3.5mm jack - Yes
✅ GSM / HSPA / LTE / 5G 

Its Linus Proof Phone. 

Sony Xperia 1 V

Sorry LTT I'm not creating a reddit account but: I want Linus to test LG's final hurrah in the V series the V60. It's running Android 13 on most carriers, is still snappy in 2023, it has military drop rating, has a 2 or 3 day battery life, still has an excellent camera app with he ability to adjust the shutter time to as much as 20 seconds and manual focus, the ability to take RAW photos and record FLAC audio, it has AOD and the AOD has am option to open the camera, it has a quad DAC 3.5mm audio jack, and last but not least is IP68 certified.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

9 hours ago, totgezockt said:

Anyone notice the voice quality change in some of the video segments? E.g.

I didn't hear a change anywhere else and it only appeared in cutaways, so I guess a re-recording done later on? Or is it AI *puts on tinfoil hat*.

I heard that too. I assumed it was re-recorded to correct or update something said. One of them was while he was talking about USB3 and iPhones so there may have initially been an incorrect statement about which iPhones had it in the first take. 

*written by AI to cover my tracks. Please take your hat off, I can't see your mind through it. 

If you like to call yourself a power user, then I dare you to try my phone (the BLU C5L). It's soo bad that it takes an incredible amount of skill just to keep it functional. This model is actually slightly better than mine, which lacks an SD card slot and uses Android 11 GO EDITION, but it's the closest I could get. It'd be a fun challenge X3.

Given the Note 9 has been Linus's longest kept and most beloved phone in memory, the S23 Ultra seems the best fit. It is everything he loved about the Note 9, but wildly improved. Anything he did not love about the Note 9 has been corrected or removed. It is the most natural fit. For something close, but different, and with a few niche perks (headphone jack, anyone?), the Xperia 1 V or 5 V would be same enough to be comfortable, but different enough to be interesting. These are my only two recommendations.

Try a Sony Xperia 1 V. It have the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen. 2 and the best camera on the market with camera lenses from Zeiss (Engineered in Germany). Also I personally like the 21:9 OLED screen protected with Corning® Gorilla® Glass Victus®. Also it has a big battery with 5000 mAh.

Buy Xiaomi 13 Pro i use it and it is great i think it would meet your requirements . these are its specs - 

Storage & RAM
12GB + 256GB | LPDDR5X RAM + UFS 4.0 Storage*Available storage and RAM are less than the total memory due
to storage of the operating system and software
pre-installed on the device.

Dimensions
Height: 162.9mm
Width: 74.6mm
Thickness: 8.38mm
Weight: 229g
*Data provided by internal laboratories. Industry measurmentmethods may vary, and therefore actual results may differ.

Camera
Leica professional optical lensLEICA VARIO-SUMMICRON 1:1.9-2.2/14-75 ASPH.Leica (1) main camera(1) sensor size 50MP *50MP refers to the megapixel count of the sensor, acutal megapixels used in photo and video may vary based on different mode. 1.6μm pixel size, 3.2 μm 4-in-1 Super Pixel f/1.9 HyperOIS IMX989 8P lens Leica 75mm floating telephoto camera50MP
*50MP refers to the megapixel count of the sensor, acutal megapixels used in photo and video may vary based on different mode.
f/2.0
75mm equivalent focal length
OIS
Focal Shift technology
Floating telephoto lens
Support 10cm macro photography
3P+3P lens

Leica ultra-wide camera50MP*
50MP refers to the megapixel count of the sensor, acutual megapixels used in photo and video may vary based on different mode.
115° FOV
14mm equivalent focal length
f/2.2
AF(Support 5cm macro photography)
Rear camera photography featuresTwo photographic styles
Leica Authentic Look
Leica Vibrant Look
Leica filters
Leica classical shutter sound
Leica Watermark
Master-lens system35mm Black and white lens
50mm Swirly bokeh lens
75mm Portrait lens
90mm Soft focus lens
Xiaomi Imaging EngineXiaomi ProFocus (Motion tracking focus / Eye tracking focus / Motion capture) Lightning Burst Night mode (wide/ultra wide/telephoto) Portrait Night mode Digital zoom up to 70x HDR 50MP mode (wide/ultra wide/telephoto) *50MP refers to the megapixel count of the sensor, acutal megapixels used in photo and video may vary based on different mode. Supermoon Panorama Documents Clone Long exposure Pro modeRear camera video featuresHDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 60 fps
8K (7680x4320) video recording at 24fps
4K (3840x2160) video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps
1080p (1920x1080) HD video recording at 30 fps, or 60 fps
720p (1280x720) HD video recording at 30 fps
Xiaomi ProFocus (Motion tracking focus)
Ultra Night Video up to 4K at 24fps
One-click AI cinema : Magic Zoom, Slow Shutter, Time Freeze, Night Time-lapse, Parallel World, Freeze Frame Video
Vlog mode
Video pro mode
Slow motion video: 120fps, 240fps, 480fps, 960fps, 1920fps

Front Camera
32MP in-display selfie cameraf/2.0
0.7μm pixel size, 1.4μm 4-in-1 Super Pixel
89.6° FOV
Front camera photography featuresDynamic Framing(0.8x, 1x)
Night mode
HDR
Portrait mode with bokeh and depth control
Front camera video featuresHDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 1080p at 30 fps
1080p (1920x1080) HD video recording at 30 fps
720p (1280x720) HD video recording at 30 fps
Video teleprompter
Vlog mode

Display
17.09cm (6.73) 10-bit AMOLED Display Aspect Ratio: 20:9 10-bit Display Panel, Over 1 Billion+ Colors PPI: 522 E6 Material LTPO 3.0 240Hz Touch Sampling AdaptiveSync Pro JNCD≈0.21 Delta E≈0.28 1920Hz PWM Dimming Brightness: 1900 nits (peak) 16000 Levels Of Brightness Adjustment HDR 10+ Support Corning® Gorilla® Glass Victus™ (Front) Dual Stereo Speakers Dolby Vision® For Display & Dolby Atmos® For Sound Hi-Res Audio (Wired & Wireless) Certification

Video PlaybackMP4丨MKV丨WEBM丨3GPSupports HDR display when playing HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision video content

ProcessorSnapdragon® 8 Gen 2 Mobile Platform4nm power-efficient manufacturing process
CPU:
1x Prime core (X3-based), up to 3.19GHz
2x Performance cores (A715-based), up to 2.8GHz
2x Performance cores (A710-based), up to 2.8GHz
3x Efficiency cores (A510-based), up to 2.0GHz
Qualcomm® FastConnect™ 7800 Mobile Connectivity System

BatteryXiaomi Surge Battery Management systemXiaomi Surge charging chipset
Xiaomi Surge battery management chipset
120W Xiaomi HyperCharge
19mins to 100% (Boost mode) 24mins to 100% (Standard mode)
50W wireless turbo charging
10W reverse wireless charging
Inbox 120W charger
USB type-c
4820mAh (typ) battery

*Typical capacity equivalent to a 4820mAh battery.
*Maximum output power will be 120W with 220~240V input;
Maximum output power will be 96W with 100~120V input.
Maximum output power may not be 120W based on different voltage input in some regions.
*Charging data tested in Xiaomi Internal Labs from 2% - 100%, actual results may vary.

Cooling System
Vapor Chamber Cooling Technology
3400mm² Vapor Chamber

Security & Authentication
Fingerprint Scanner on Display 3 Years of Android Updates & 5 Years of Security Updates

Network & Connectivity
Dual Sim: Nano+Nano Supports 5G* / 4G / 3G/ 2G 5G: Supports SA and NSA SA: N1/N3/N5/N7/N8/N20/N28/N38/N40/N41/N66/N71/N75/N77/N78/N79 NSA: N1/N3/N5/N7/N8/N20/N28/N38/N40/N41/N66/N71/N75/N77/N78/N79 4G: FDD: B1/B3/B5/B8 4G: TDD: B40/B41 3G: WCDMA: B1/B2/B5/B8 2G: GSM: B2/B3/B5/B8 Bluetooth: 5.3 NFC
Wi-Fi 7/Wi-Fi 6E/Wi-Fi 6 capability may vary based on regional availability and local network support. Wi-Fi connectivity (including Wi-Fi frequency bands, Wi-Fi standards and other features as ratified in IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications) may vary based on regional availability and local network support. The function may be added via OTA when and where applicable.Qualcomm® FastConnect™ 7800 Mobile Connectivity System

Xiaomi 13 Pro 5gMulti-Link OperationSupports 2x2 MIMO, 8x8 Sounding for MU-MIMO, WiFi Direct Bluetooth 5.3 Supports AAC/LDAC/LHDC

NFCYes

Vibration MotorX Axis Linear Motor (Ultra-Wide Band)

Navigation & PositioningGPS: L1+L5
Galileo: E1+E5a | GLONASS: G1 | Beidou| NavIC: L5
A-GPS supplementary positioning | Electronic compass | Wireless network | Data network | SAP

AudioDual Stereo Speakers
Dolby Atmos® support
Hi-Res Audio certification

Audio Playback Supports audio formats such as MP3, FLAC, APE, AAC, OGG,
WAV, AMR, AWBHi-Res Audio certification

Sensor Proximity sensor | Ambient light sensor
Accelerometer | Gyroscope | Electronic compass
IR blaster | Hall Sensor | Barometer | Flicker Sensor

Operating System MIUI 14, Android 13

After hearing everything that you would like and not like I think you need to check out a iPhone SE. Check it out. Been using one for two years now and I love it. 

Good luck! 

its obviously iPhone 15 pro max. it matches all crieteria.