Cpu running 10Gigabit Ethernet problem

Ceml

Hello, I have 8,5/1,5 Gbps (~1000MB/s) connection from isp, 10Gig pcie card from asus and while downloading games from steam I can get max 2 Gbps while my cpu( i7-9700k) running 100% in 5.1ghz, I looked and it seems like from the decompression, my cpu can't handle it, which cpu or how many cores and ghz do I need for a full 1000MB/s downloads?

I have samsung nvmes and ram at 4266mhz 16gb. No gpu.motherboard asus z390-i, Thank you.

I mean the 9700k was always lacking when it came to multicore performance. Honestly the r9 7900x has 12 cores and is good at gaming so not a bad choice if you want to upgrade your cpu. There is also the i7 13700k which has 8 performance cores plus 8 e cores which does decent in multicore and has excellent gaming performance. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean the 9700k was always lacking when it came to multicore performance. Honestly the r9 7900x has 12 cores and is good at gaming so not a bad choice if you want to upgrade your cpu. There is also the i7 13700k which has 8 performance cores plus 8 e cores which does decent in multicore and has excellent gaming performance. 

Do you think 12 cores can achieve 8,5 Gbps download on steam? I want to use every speed that's coming from the isp

25 minutes ago, Ceml said:

Do you think 12 cores can achieve 8,5 Gbps download on steam? I want to use every speed that's coming from the isp

If normal cpus doesn't end your hunger buy server grade cpus haha 

2 hours ago, Ceml said:

I mean the cpu is massively higher in multithreaded performance than your 9700k so it should do alot better but if you are worried you can always get the r9 7950x which is a 16 core cpu and should be your best bet in terms of consumer cpus. 

On 9/2/2023 at 6:06 AM, Ceml said:

You should not be aiming for 8.5Gbit from Steam, its unrealistic as the download will finish before it had time to ramp up, even if the other end can handle it.  You're also not considering that the servers at the other end you are downloading from might only have 10Gbit uplink and they will be sharing with multiple other clients, so the speed will vary based on how many other people are downloading at the same time.  Also some games are lots of small files so download slower too, if its doing them individually.

When games update by far the slowest part of the process is game patching which will probably benefit from a faster CPU, but even on Gigabit with a 5950X and fast SSD I can download a game quicker than updating an existing one.  A lot of the time this is happening with multiple files which stops the download as each file is patched, so again it never gets to ramp up the speed.

Fast broadband is more so multiple people on the same connection can all download quickly, not so one person can max it out.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Question to steam users: does steam client scale that much in multithreding?

AFAIK should not, so it's better IPC will deliver better download/unpack speed rather than have more cores. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

17 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Question to steam users: does steam client scale that much in multithreding?

AFAIK should not, so it's better IPC will deliver better download/unpack speed rather than have more cores. 

Very hard to say given not all games package their files quite the same.  I will try to remember to check when I install Starfield.

A quick Googling suggests Steam may try 20 concurrent download chunks, so I'd expect for downloading more cores might be better, but for decompression that could indeed be the opposite.  But on a modern PC I'm fairly sure its the patching that is the bigger problem.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 9/1/2023 at 9:49 PM, Ceml said:

Hello, I have 8,5/1,5 Gbps (~1000MB/s) connection from isp, 10Gig pcie card from asus and while downloading games from steam I can get max 2 Gbps while my cpu( i7-9700k) running 100% in 5.1ghz, I looked and it seems like from the decompression, my cpu can't handle it, which cpu or how many cores and ghz do I need for a full 1000MB/s downloads?

I have samsung nvmes and ram at 4266mhz 16gb. No gpu.motherboard asus z390-i, Thank you.

Don’t upgrade your CPU to try and max out steam downloads… that makes no sense.

The above comments from @Alex Atkin UK help explain why. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

On 9/2/2023 at 12:49 AM, Ceml said:

from steam I can get max 2 Gbps while my cp

Are you sure it's an issue with your machine? I mean you only have those speeds between YOU and the ISP. Once your traffic leaves the ISP's network its up to all the other service providers that the traffic goes thru. Also services like Steam are not going to provide unlimited bandwidth, you have to share the resources with all the other users using Steam. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Are you sure it's an issue with your machine? I mean you only have those speeds between YOU and the ISP. Once your traffic leaves the ISP's network its up to all the other service providers that the traffic goes thru. Also services like Steam are not going to provide unlimited bandwidth, you have to share the resources with all the other users using Steam. 

It likely is. Steam sends data compressed. It can take a lot of processing power to uncompressed the data, but also I do agree, I wouldn’t expect full 10 gigabit from steam. Not many services are going to be able to saturate a 10 gig link, not even local systems would. 

OP, the thing to remember with 10 gigabit internet, is that is intended for lots of users to be using at once, with them all getting excellent performance. It’s not intended for a single user to get full 10 gigabit, since again, very few servers are going to actually be able to pump data at you at that speed… the internet is not set up to be able to move that much data to a single user at that speed. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

14 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

It likely is. Steam sends data compressed. It can take a lot of processing power to uncompressed the data, but also I do agree, I wouldn’t expect full 10 gigabit from steam. Not many services are going to be able to saturate a 10 gig link, not even local systems would.

This is what people don't get, even on a plain NFS transfer between two 10Gbit clients, if its lots of small files I won't hit Gigabit and even larger files from SSD to SSD its still much slower than SSD to SSD on the same machine.  Networks adds a lot of overhead.

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

This is what people don't get, even on a plain NFS transfer between two 10Gbit clients, if its lots of small files I won't hit Gigabit and even larger files from SSD to SSD its still much slower than SSD to SSD on the same machine.  Networks adds a lot of overhead.

I don’t disagree, but the CPU is likely pegged at 100% trying to decompress steams data. So technically it is an issue with the local hardware. But it’s an issue that is not worth solving since it’s less of an “issue” and more of a “result of having insane internet speed”. 

But I agree, networking adds lots of overhead, which is why this isn’t an issue worth solving. Something else will likely become a bottleneck if not the CPU.

Depending on how you're connected to the ISP's router, that may also add some CPU usage

If you use PPoE to transfer data between the network card and the router, that can add cpu usage, it's like encrypting data between your network card and the router from ISP.

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

Depending on how you're connected to the ISP's router, that may also add some CPU usage

If you use PPoE to transfer data between the network card and the router, that can add cpu usage, it's like encrypting data between your network card and the router from ISP.

Fairly sure nobody is using PPPoE to connect between a network card and a router.   PPPoE is not really "like encrypting" either, its purely an encapsulation/tunnel protocol.

The router may be using PPPoE to connect to the ISP, which can cause a bottleneck in the router, but that would reflect in speedtests too.

12 hours ago, mariushm said:

its from asus pcie to LAn 10G, Wan10G to white nokia ethernet box, nokia pon to the wall and outside.

Also what's the backup port for do you think on the router?( also white Nokia pon box is always 🔥 hot is it normal?)

20230905_143711.jpg

20230905_143752.jpg

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

PPPoE is not really "like encrypting" either, its purely an encapsulation/tunnel protocol.

Some router implementations have mono-thread PPPoE connection management. So ramping up speeds this can be a bit of issue... if the IPC of a core of the device cannot deliver enough juice.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

6 hours ago, mMontana said:

Some router implementations have mono-thread PPPoE connection management. So ramping up speeds this can be a bit of issue... if the IPC of a core of the device cannot deliver enough juice.

While this is true, its not really relevant to the OPs question given their CPU is maxing out during downloads.  We also now have confirmation this is an ISP provided router (that ISP requires using their own router though it can support passthrough) which at the very least should handle line rate, the caveat is it has no user accessible UI to configure anything.

Another thing with 10G FTTP is that its 10G for all customers on your PON, that could be hundreds of people sharing that 10G (though they likely wont all have the 10G package).  So your speed during peak hours will be lower than early morning when everyone is asleep.