YouTube, rapidly becoming unusable due to ads.

Here in the UK we get a lot of ad free viewing. Even our commercial channels have legal limits on the amount of ads that can be shown in any period. Typically 15mins of programming before an advert on the worst channels. YouTube however is not bound by these rules. Maybe being a Brit I am more sensitive, not used to the quantity and frequency of adverts that occur elsewhere on the planet. Having said that, I could live with YouTube but it has been getting worse of late. I am now seeing adverts every 3-4 minutes of viewing. I am getting increasingly frustrated by this and considering just giving up on it. Had their subscription been a reasonable monthly price like £4.99 the I would have bitten the bullet but £12.99 is just too much. I already pay Sky £129 per month including Netflix and Paramount as well as prime, Disney, Adobe and am loathed to buy yet another subscription. IMO, YouTube are getting greedy on the advertising front and will surely loose views. I know I am spending increasingly less time on it.

YouTube lost their ad privileges when they played a 4.5hour ad

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

19 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

Here in the UK we get a lot of ad free viewing. Even our commercial channels have legal limits on the amount of ads that can be shown in any period. Typically 15mins of programming before an advert on the worst channels. YouTube however is not bound by these rules. Maybe being a Brit I am more sensitive, not used to the quantity and frequency of adverts that occur elsewhere on the planet. Having said that, I could live with YouTube but it has been getting worse of late. I am now seeing adverts every 3-4 minutes of viewing. I am getting increasingly frustrated by this and considering just giving up on it. Had their subscription been a reasonable monthly price like £4.99 the I would have bitten the bullet but £12.99 is just too much. I already pay Sky £129 per month including Netflix and Paramount as well as prime, Disney, Adobe and am loathed to buy yet another subscription. IMO, YouTube are getting greedy on the advertising front and will surely loose views. I know I am spending increasingly less time on it.

uBlock Origin is love; is life. ❤️ https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I use brave browser, I've just checked electro-boom and a few techno videos (music) I'm in the north east of Ireland (not a Brit) and there were no adverts.  Brave must have an auto filter and it's blisteringly fast on a pretty crappy sky basic internet only subscription.

Yeah... I think they're doing it on purpose to push people to get Youtube premium.

For me, what's annoying is that they allow 20-30 minute ads that pretend they're podcasts and interviews with people... if not this I get some stupid Indian music clips ... f$@king annoying to watch a 20 minute lecture about data compression and get music clips every 4 minutes.

Thanks for the replies on unblock. I should have mentioned I mainly watch on my TV, so would probably have to use pi-hole to do the job. I’ve never tried that but have a few pi’s so might be worth the effort.

2 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

Thanks for the replies on unblock. I should have mentioned I mainly watch on my TV, so would probably have to use pi-hole to do the job. I’ve never tried that but have a few pi’s so might be worth the effort.

That's the reason I got myself a Chromecast. Installed SmartTube on it, comes built-in with adblock and sponsor block. I'd rather pay Google for a piece of hardware that I can use for other things while sticking it to them by blocking their ads on YouTube.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Mommy Alphabet wants profit share. Youtube must provide profits. And with increased energy cost, increased market adversaries (The Seattle Inn cinema club, Burbank Cinemas Inc, Filadelfia screens) with deep pockets and a lot of exclusive content.

Its gonna be tough

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

24 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah... I think they're doing it on purpose to push people to get Youtube premium.

For me, what's annoying is that they allow 20-30 minute ads that pretend they're podcasts and interviews with people... if not this I get some stupid Indian music clips ... f$@king annoying to watch a 20 minute lecture about data compression and get music clips every 4 minutes.

33 minutes ago, donal McScrote said:

I use brave browser, I've just checked electro-boom and a few techno videos (music) I'm in the north east of Ireland (not a Brit) and there were no adverts.  Brave must have an auto filter and it's blisteringly fast on a pretty crappy sky basic internet only subscription.

40 minutes ago, kirashi said:

59 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Get ublock origin, forget about ads on youtube ever existing.

57 minutes ago, emosun said:

use adblock

54 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

YouTube lost their ad privileges when they played a 4.5hour ad

Totally agree with that, I had the same.

41 minutes ago, kirashi said:

34 minutes ago, donal McScrote said:

25 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Thanks for the suggestions. As I watch on my TV I have taken it on board and begun building a pi-hole. Hopefully it works.

6 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

If you have a 1080p TV and all you do is stream, you can have a competent, small form factor HTPC in hand for $25 or so.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Mommy Alphabet wants profit share. Youtube must provide profits. And with increased energy cost, increased market adversaries (The Seattle Inn cinema club, Burbank Cinemas Inc, Filadelfia screens) with deep pockets and a lot of exclusive content.

Its gonna be tough

Thing is, they need to get the balance right, or force advertisers to pay more. People will view the platform less as it becomes more frustrating to use. That cannot be good for the creators

Well... they have plenty of creators. Therefore, for any giant who falls, Youtube can push right away the next less payed replacement.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

tbh even some channel's are going ham with the sponsors as well. If i watch a 10 min video, I dont want 4 minutes of that as a sponsor. you can get things like Sponsorblock to solve that problem, but Im not sure you can specifically put in the channels you want to exclude...

7 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Well... they have plenty of creators. Therefore, for any giant who falls, Youtube can push right away the next less payed replacement.

Sad, but probably true.

2 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

Thing is, they need to get the balance right, or force advertisers to pay more. People will view the platform less as it becomes more frustrating to use. That cannot be good for the creators

So how have all those YouTube alternatives and competitors been doing lately?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 hours ago, aisle9 said:

So how have all those YouTube alternatives and competitors been doing lately?

I agree, there are no alternatives. In my case I have just been spending less time using YouTube and more time outside, which can only be a good thing.