Someone talk me out of this idea

DS9Fireblade

I want to run a LAN Event.

So seeing the fun from clips around the LTX LAN I really want to run my own local event using a caching server I am making myself at home and having great fun learning about. I have a location in mind for the event but I have no ideas what else I'd need to provide, obviously internet connection and the games but do we provide monitors and perifirals? (Keyboard and mouse)

I think it would be worth doing it but I am also very nervous that it will fall flat on it's face.

Recommendations...

Should I do it it should I forget it

Thanks 

The LANs I've been to, people generally brought their own PCs and peripherals.

You'd need to provide an internet connection, power and network cables to each table and the underlying infrastructure (such as many many switches). Speaking of power: Routing many power cables might need some form of official signing off on it (e.g. "not a fire hazard").

You probably also need to provide (or rent) some form of catering at the location and maybe some space to chill out. Possibly security?

Might want to talk to people who organized such an event before, because networking can be a pain if you haven't planned it out. Ideally you want it to be so that people get assigned a place where they can set up their stuff, plug in (power + network) and are ready to go.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

12 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The LANs I've been to, people generally brought their own PCs and peripherals.

You'd need to provide an internet connection, power and network cables to each table and the underlying infrastructure (such as many many switches). Speaking of power: Routing many power cables might need some form of official signing off on it (e.g. "not a fire hazard").

You probably also need to provide (or rent) some form of catering at the location and maybe some space to chill out. Possibly security?

Might want to talk to people who organized such an event before, because networking can be a pain if you haven't planned it out. Ideally you want it to be so that people get assigned a place where they can set up their stuff, plug in (power + network) and are ready to go.

The venue I have contacted has catering and chill out area already provided, they are a shop that runs little one off events but board games mainly, they are looking into online but have not done it before. The room as plenty of outlets so as long as we don't have over a hundred people or something stupid like that power should be good. Thanks for the advice 

2 hours ago, DS9Fireblade said:

The venue I have contacted has catering and chill out area already provided, they are a shop that runs little one off events but board games mainly, they are looking into online but have not done it before. The room as plenty of outlets so as long as we don't have over a hundred people or something stupid like that power should be good. Thanks for the advice 

I would check in with someone that has legal expertise as the real biggest problem would be liability. 

If someone gets hurt somehow, it might fall on you. 

That would be a discussion to have with the venue at the very least. 

My advice is to start small. Even just 10 people or so (depending on the game you intend to play), then go from there.

I want to run a LAN Event.

So seeing the fun from clips around the LTX LAN I really want to run my own local event using a caching server I am making myself at home and having great fun learning about. I have a location in mind for the event but I have no ideas what else I'd need to provide, obviously internet connection and the games but do we provide monitors and perifirals? (Keyboard and mouse)

I think it would be worth doing it but I am also very nervous that it will fall flat on it's face.

Recommendations...

Should I do it it should I forget it

Thanks 

This would be really cool, but it would be a nightmare legally and safety wise. What general area are you in?

Make sure those outlets and the circuits they are on are indeed rated for each of them having 400W+ attached to them. Even with just a few PCs on the same circuit but over several outlets you might run into issues.

Another thing is overnight vs closing at night. Depending on where you are different legal requirements might apply, so check that.

And as a starter, I'd totally avoid overnight. It's a total different kind of scenarios (and needs for the guests)

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 hours ago, wamred said:

This would be really cool, but it would be a nightmare legally and safety wise. What general area are you in?

Okey so this is a shop that run events I have spoken with them they are happy to host the event, payment covers all insurance within the building ie trips and falls.

2 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

I would check in with someone that has legal expertise as the real biggest problem would be liability. 

If someone gets hurt somehow, it might fall on you. 

That would be a discussion to have with the venue at the very least. 

Venue is covering things via liability through the room hire

2 hours ago, InABoxMedia said:

My advice is to start small. Even just 10 people or so (depending on the game you intend to play), then go from there.

That's the plan, I'm not wanting to go all In over 100 people ect ect first time out, looking at 15-20 people to cover costs and make it viable for future events.

2 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Make sure those outlets and the circuits they are on are indeed rated for each of them having 400W+ attached to them. Even with just a few PCs on the same circuit but over several outlets you might run into issues.

Another thing is overnight vs closing at night. Depending on where you are different legal requirements might apply, so check that.

Circuit is on 400w+ checked with venue when I visited them earlier today, the event is going to probably be a day event finish at about 5/6pm latest 8pm not doing overnight Lan first run out

The hardest part is actually convincing people to show up. You have to offer something very special for people to want to go, especially if you expect them to pay.

9 hours ago, poochyena said:

The hardest part is actually convincing people to show up. You have to offer something very special for people to want to go, especially if you expect them to pay.

Yes, I am still trying to figure out that stuff at the moment, like what is the draw for people to come to this event 

4 hours ago, DS9Fireblade said:

Yes, I am still trying to figure out that stuff at the moment, like what is the draw for people to come to this event 

Probably need to come up with a series of games to play, or events around it. Definitely would put out a list of games, so that people can prepare them ahead or buy them if they chose to.

Of the top of my head I would say focus on games that are fun to experience together and are not super competitive. Things like coop shooters where you can have groups of people play together sitting next to each other, or good old arena shooters with CTF mode etc. Games where people can still talk and laugh together.

My last LAN is almost a decade ago, but I remember that after a while games like Worms: Armageddon became fun because you could have two teams play on the same PC, taking turns while eating a pizza etc.

2 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Probably need to come up with a series of games to play, or events around it. Definitely would put out a list of games, so that people can prepare them ahead or buy them if they chose to.

Of the top of my head I would say focus on games that are fun to experience together and are not super competitive. Things like coop shooters where you can have groups of people play together sitting next to each other, or good old arena shooters with CTF mode etc. Games where people can still talk and laugh together.

My last LAN is almost a decade ago, but I remember that after a while games like Worms: Armageddon became fun because you could have two teams play on the same PC, taking turns while eating a pizza etc.

Worms was first on my list, as well as halo where you can have small teams "compete" the main thing I am doing at the moment is seeing if there is an interest in the event before moving on with my planning.

Just now, DS9Fireblade said:

the main thing I am doing at the moment is seeing if there is an interest in the event before moving on with my planning.

Good idea, though I would advise to check what exactly people would expect from such an event.

Like, do they want an in person tournament and are fine with a lot of spectating? Might need a projector or something in this case.

More of a social event? Well, better rethink some of the seating arrangements and maybe have some slow time for people to hang out.

Might even combine it with something like a custom keyboard/any-other-hobby-related-to-tech meet-up.

I do hope LAN parties should come back in some way, shape, or form. But apart from nostalgia I have a hard time to come up with something that would convince people to meet in person instead of online (apart from the general in-person vs online discussion).

1 minute ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Good idea, though I would advise to check what exactly people would expect from such an event.

Like, do they want an in person tournament and are fine with a lot of spectating? Might need a projector or something in this case.

More of a social event? Well, better rethink some of the seating arrangements and maybe have some slow time for people to hang out.

Might even combine it with something like a custom keyboard/any-other-hobby-related-to-tech meet-up.

I do hope LAN parties should come back in some way, shape, or form. But apart from nostalgia I have a hard time to come up with something that would convince people to meet in person instead of online (apart from the general in-person vs online discussion).

So the on running idea at the moment which a few people have shown interest in and what I am sort of planning it as currently is a vintage and games fair where you have old arcade games and board games dotted around which would be free entry and then an area for LAN gaming which will be charged for to cover the costs of hiring the venue ect.

The main part I am looking into at the moment is the LAN event to see if that would interest people and if people like that idea then moving forward with adding to the event. So maybe a small competition for certain games, co op games ect

On 8/26/2023 at 2:19 PM, DS9Fireblade said:

Okey so this is a shop that run events I have spoken with them they are happy to host the event, payment covers all insurance within the building ie trips and falls.

Nice! Good luck if you decide to do it.