Do you like Smart TVs?

LarsReviews

I don't like the hype about Smart TVs, because you can't do anything about the software, if the manufacturer stoppes supporting it. I rather connect a PC, phone or something like Chrome Cast/Apple TV to a TV to be more flexible. Also I read a article on Computerbild that Smart TVs can spy on us. (Samsung knows if you are watching Hannah Montana again).

For watching TV I use a 42" LG TV, which has the same panel as a more expensive smart TV, but only has 2 HDMI ports, some analog Video and DVB-T/S/C without smart TV software. Because mostly watch TV over my PC with Youtube and Amazon Prime Video it was a great price/performance solution for me. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I don't have a TV and still see no reason to have one.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'm much more of a DIYer, and would rather get a basic 1080p TV and attach a PC to it so I can control the features I want.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

worthless...

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

no but usually they are the ones that come with better specs/panels .

I don't have a TV and still see no reason to have one.

movies ,tv shows and games with a controller. also use pc from bed/sofa with a wireless mouse(hearthstone !!)

I have to like them because ALL GOOD QUALITY TVS ARE SMART

They already come with the software, and you basically cannot find a high quality tv without it being a 'smart tv'

Why do people care anyways? If you dont like it, you dont have to use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it. It is just an additional feature. Value added! If the TV was not a 'smart tv' it would basically be the same price. So why not?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I got a smart TV for the same price as a normal TV, and it's a good one with low response time etc. so I use it as my main monitor as well. It is really convenient for me with the smart features, because my PC makes a lot of noise, so I don't want it on all the time to play movies or whatever. I use netflix and youtube mostly, and use my cellphone as a remote for the features and stuff. For me it was worth it and I like it because the price was the same as the non smart version of the same monitor. If it costs you more, I wouldn't recomend it though. It's often cheaper to get a "dumb" tv, and slap a chromecast in there or whatever. But I do like the implementation better in a smart tv (I own both)

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

movies ,tv shows and games with a controller. also use pc from bed/sofa with a wireless mouse(hearthstone !!)

I can't watch TV in my country. All movies are 5 years old, TV shows are 3-4 years old and translated. Don't have a controller.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't like smart anything :P

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I have a smart TV. It's so useless at everything. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The concept is good and with the correct implementation it could be a good device overall. But, I have not found any reason to like or use a smart tv over a normal one.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

I like mine, does wireless screen mirroring (bit buggy as of last update), you can talk to the remote to tell it what to do and it wasn't possible to get a decent sized non smart TV when i got it. 

Whoever mentioned the Rasp Pi, just watch out, they ruined them with the last update. Used to use XBMC on mine but now it's just a placemat as the last release of NOOBS was broken and XBMC wouldn't load without having issues.  Maybe fixed now though, might have a feck about with mine this weekend.

Kind of ironic the device being know as the "idiot box" be called smart.

Man, I feel old. I want my fridge to only keep food and drinks cool, my ovens to have basic dials and my tv to simply go through the channels and have volume adjustment. Leave the tech wizardry to the computer.

no. its a slow phone cpu in a tv.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I like mine, does wireless screen mirroring (bit buggy as of last update), you can talk to the remote to tell it what to do and it wasn't possible to get a decent sized non smart TV when i got it. 

Whoever mentioned the Rasp Pi, just watch out, they ruined them with the last update. Used to use XBMC on mine but now it's just a placemat as the last release of NOOBS was broken and XBMC wouldn't load without having issues.  Maybe fixed now though, might have a feck about with mine this weekend.

I am aware of that. This is one of the reasns why I have set aside quite some time fo the project. I will have to do some change to the software. I also want to hook up an IR reciver, so I can use it with a remote control, or maybe even an Xbox controller . 

This is going to take some work with both hardware and software, but I have a couple of ideas about how I can make it work.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Another poll impaired by a stupid option.

No, I like micro ATX HTPCs.

Nope,

& lol'ed at your 'banana' option literally :lol: , i didn't expect that! good one

:ph34r: a warrior never fails

Details separate people.

Lol, my "TV" is an old computer hooked up to an even older monitor. (CRT old). I believe that the computer runs windows XP. The only reason I consider it a "TV" is because it is hooked up in such a way that you have to sit in a couch and watch a movie or else it would be too uncomfortable to use as a regular computer... Yet I still prefer this over a smart TV because this can access my recorded TV shows on my NAS.

"No signature"

Yes, I can mess with them with my HTC One's M7 remote control app, it has an IR blaster so I made a lot of people go 'wtf' over the past year.

Ir receiver is very easy, rpmc is set up in such a way that it recognizes most peripherals immediately. Just the booting was a problem for me after that update. Still a cool little device.

The smart thing is bullshit. I'd rather have a nice TV and something like a chromecast for it.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I prefer dumb ones.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I don't mind them. I understand the arguments against them: Closed software, no updates, being at the mercy of manufacturer abandonment, etc. However just because it has a computer in them don't forget that this are appliances: Think of them as fridges, stoves ranges, washing machines, etc. You're not supposed to update them and their expected life cycle nowadays should be 2 or 3 years so by the time you would really need an update chances are it will break down on you.

-------

Current Rig

-------