What do we do now?

LinusTech
1 minute ago, ffffrozen said:

You are missing the point. It's all about having sense of shame. Those jokes and store plugs should not be there.

True that - behavior typical to many nouveau riche

7 minutes ago, Woddell said:

In his second video, Steve made comments about gaslighting and also said that Linus was acting in bad faith by mentioning the charity as it might show the charity in a bad light which was never going to happen and there were never any comments towards the charity. Steve also poked at how Linus worded things specifically but when he was called on it he said he wouldn't get into semantics.  

Linus mentioning it was for charity doesn't really matter, they sold it off without asking, and thinking its ok to sell off an item without asking for charity doesn't make it any better, I think that makes it worse because now the charity is involved.

Steve was fine to point at how Linus worded things, it isn't semantics when a company the size of LMG should be more careful of how they word things.

GN/Billet also failed to mention that the cooler was originally given to LMG until they botched the review. Instead, GN went with the narrative that Billet's production was halted and it was all LMG's fault. 

GN were the ones that brought up the issue, if they hadn't the I doubt Billet would even be getting paid for the cost of the water block because LMG tried to ignore them, and LMG is at fault here for not sending it back when Billet asked them to.

I'm not saying LMG didn't mess up here because they clearly did. But Steve clearly had his ego damaged when the LTX video went live about testing practices and decided to dig up as much dirt as possible and then release it as one video which caused most of this drama. Removing monetization to look like the 'good guy' was a good manipulation tactic that a huge proportion of his fans fell for.    

Steve isn't the one with an ego here, and no it's not digging up dirt, these were issues that were found in public videos. As for removing the monetization I think thats the correct thing to do as it removes any possibility of bias and avoids any issues with companies as sponsors getting upset because GN brought up issues that need to be addressed. Linus is the one with an ego and he's acting like the issues are personal ones, not with LMG as a company, he's doing corporate sounding PR here, with a positive spin and trying to make it funny to appeal to his audience.

2 minutes ago, Toxic Tuxxie said:

We support them. With time, purchasing Merch and making decisions based off of their videos. 

So yeah, it does affect us. 

And ANY COMPANY, be it LTT or whoever, that has these kind of allegations thrown at them, have to address them. 

They have addressed them, in the video and hopefully in future content.

Regarding the Maddison issue they stated they wouldn't publicly comment on why a former employee had left the company which is usual practice.

Your tone on here is not great to be honest.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Linus mentioning it was for charity doesn't really matter, they sold it off without asking, and thinking its ok to sell off an item without asking for charity doesn't make it any better, I think that makes it worse because now the charity is involved.

Steve was fine to point at how Linus worded things, it isn't semantics when a company the size of LMG should be more careful of how they word things.

GN were the ones that brought up the issue, if they hadn't the I doubt Billet would even be getting paid for the cost of the water block because LMG tried to ignore them, and LMG is at fault here for not sending it back when Billet asked them to.

Steve isn't the one with an ego here, and no it's not digging up dirt, these were issues that were found in public videos. As for removing the monetization I think thats the correct thing to do as it removes any possibility of bias and avoids any issues with companies as sponsors getting upset because GN brought up issues that need to be addressed. Linus is the one with an ego and he's acting like the issues are personal ones, not with LMG as a company, he's doing corporate sounding PR here, with a positive spin and trying to make it funny to appeal to his audience.

i mean steve still claims 12hwp connector is a user error... which has shown it was not. he pretty much walk away from that issue. that am ware of atm

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

6 minutes ago, Toxic Tuxxie said:

We are not grateful for a Corporate Bullshit video, no. And the Madison situation remains unadressed.

Whether one likes an apology or not I think is a very personal question so valid that you don't like it. I personally find it to be a first step in the right direction.

The allegations Madison brought up require time to investigate. Much more damage would be done in such a case by a rushed, ill-investigated statement compared to a thorough, third party investigation which such allegations make necessary.

Again

LMG did not disable monetization for the corporate talk video. Some others did.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

4 minutes ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

How is that different from what I said? Let's compare:

1. Yeah the cooler was given to them for the review, and they expected LTT to either keep it to use properly later (shown by the emails in LTT's video) or give it back

2. We originally said you could keep it because we thought it would be good for you to have it for future builds... Then when Linus clearly didn't like it, we asked for it back

2 minutes ago, Philfreeze said:

To me this reads like they being okay with LTT keeping it if they were to consider using it in future videos, which would mean more exposure. So in this scenario they would see the cost of losing the cooler as a marketing expense.

Since this wasn't the case, they wanted it back. To which LMG agreed (honestly this should be the only relevant thing) and then they messed that one up.

Plus I think the video they produced with the wrong GPU is actually the worse part in this whole story. Now people still don't know how it performs (and yes, it does actually matter if it runs 20°C cooler or not). I actually saw this cooler before the video in one of the Small-Form-Factor forums and was pretty interested in the concept. This product (if it performs well) absolutely does have a place in the right enthusiast crowd.

exactly. they say LTT can keep the cooler. (for use in future build)

so when linus say he dont like the cooler, then, only then they asked it back

its "hey, u can keep the cooler if u want it for future build"
*some time later*
what? they dont like the cooler, we must get it back

not 'hey u can keep the cooler if u want to use it for future build, otherwise u should return it"

big difference

1 minute ago, ScoggsUK said:

Regarding the Maddison issue they stated they wouldn't publicly comment on why a former employee had left the company which is usual practice.

well his name does have the word toxic in it 😂

I'm sorry but Luke saying they "f**k up" often and making a 69 joke in the span of 2 minutes is so in-line with the atrocities mentioned in Madison's thread. Sorry but I don't think anyone can take sex jokes right now. This is actually disgustingly tone deaf.

1 minute ago, dogwitch said:

i mean steve still claims 12hwp connector is a user error... which has shown it was not. he pretty much walk away from that issue. that am ware of atm

It absolutely is lmao anyone who claims it's not is a moron incapable of plugging things in, which is sad

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

No they don't but it would've been a nice thing to do if there was some mention of GN, though I find it a bit ironic that Linus thinks GN needed to contact him first, yet Linus still seems upset about this whole thing and refuses to even acknowledge GN of these issues, even if for just the Billet block and paying for it only after GN mentioned it.

GN should have reached out about the Billet Labs situation. Something like that needs both side of the story. And if LMG didn't respond in a timely manner then yes publish the story without their side of it. But that the only thing GN should have reached out about. The other stuff is fair game. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Just now, egegl said:

I'm sorry but Luke saying they "f**k up" often and making a 69 joke in the span of 2 minutes is so in-line with the atrocities mentioned in Maddison's thread. Sorry but I don't think anyone can take sex jokes right now. This is actually disgusting.

they

didnt

know

at

the

time

dunno how many times i've said that 😂

1 minute ago, kurangak said:

exactly. they say LTT can keep the cooler. (for use in future build)

so when linus say he dont like the cooler, then, only then they asked it back

its "hey, u can keep the cooler if u want it for future build"
*some time later*
what? they dont like the cooler, we must get it back

not 'hey u can keep the cooler if u want to use it for future build, otherwise u should return it"

big difference

There is no difference, keeping was an option if they were going to use it properly in the future, they clearly were not, therefore they wanted it back. That is true in both statements because they are the same.

2 minutes ago, ScoggsUK said:

Oh sorry "Dad". 

I would imagine that any company based heavily upon their Public image would want to address Sexual Harassment Allegations even if it was only: "We are looking into these issues and will be hiring an external investigator to ensure that our employees are taken care of and protected".

If they have done that, then fine, please let me know. But just saying "No Comment" is not enough.

2 minutes ago, egegl said:

I'm sorry but Luke saying they "f**k up" often and making a 69 joke in the span of 2 minutes is so in-line with the atrocities mentioned in Madison's thread. Sorry but I don't think anyone can take sex jokes right now. This is actually disgusting.

keep in mind that the video was recorded prior to that coming out, of course it's inexcusable but they can't tell the future

1 minute ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

It absolutely is lmao anyone who claims it's not is a moron incapable of plugging things in, which is sad

it was a poor design. it was even more of a fire hazard from pci sig. before nvidia said... not where going to improve it.  the white paper on the matter. was.... like how the hell did this get out of certification phase.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I was gonna stick around in the forums to continue with the conversation more, but this thread mostly nitpicking to an insane degree.  Not even GN would be near as critical as the shit I'm seeing here. But I guess I can't leave without saying a piece.

@LinusTech and LMG as a whole. Good start. Thank you for putting the time in to make a video addressing this. It's not something the community will forget soon, I imagine the community will continue to hold you to those promises. The vid wasn't perfect, but it was honestly better than I hoped, screwdriver and all. Personally, I'll look into participating in the Sponsor subforum myself, as I have just been lurking here for years.

Haven't been following the Madison thing myself yet, but whatever's going on there I hope LMG will make it right, as they have claimed is an internal MO for the company.

EDIT/PS: I think it was a good touch not addressing GN in the vid.  Though I believe GN has some credit in making this happen, I have other criticisms of their approach.  Addressing us, who you hold yourself accountable to, and not GN, was the right move.

3 minutes ago, Kravatie1 said:

well his name does have the word toxic in it 😂

Your point being what? Because I have a Gamer Tag from back in the day, I must be Toxic. Sounds like a bit of Copium to me. Realise that LTT can make mistakes, and wheras yes, they have addressed some of them, their initial response was "Poor" to say the least and this video is "Slightly Below Average". 

You have a Cat as a picture, are you therefore a Cat?

The Madison situation has to be addressed, end of story.

Just now, Toxic Tuxxie said:

Oh sorry "Dad". 

I would imagine that any company based heavily upon their Public image would want to address Sexual Harassment Allegations even if it was only: "We are looking into these issues and will be hiring an external investigator to ensure that our employees are taken care of and protected".

If they have done that, then fine, please let me know. But just saying "No Comment" is not enough.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

The bit in bold applies to everything you've written on this forum to date. 

1 minute ago, weez said:

GN should have reached out about the Billet Labs situation.

No they should have not reached out as this would have enabled LMG to cover up the Schiit they put Billet Labs through. Btw how would you compare DT 770 to pc37x for electronic music say Spoiler by Hyper?

1 minute ago, weez said:

GN should have reached out about the Billet Labs situation. Something like that needs both side of the story.

What sides do you refer to? There is a timeline and an exchange of messages/emails between LMG and Billet Labs. How could contacting LMG, would have changed the facts and what actually happened? Or did you want them to contact LMG and change their approach on the story, to cut LMG some slack ? That would have definitely been unethical and unprofessional.

Some of the responses to this video are the perfect example of cancel culture. It is simply impossible to win. People will never be satisfied. If you made the video, it's because you did, if you didn't, it's because you should have. If it has jokes, it shouldn't have, if it doesn't, it's because they don't know how to laugh at themselves. If the corporation does not manifest itself, it is because they are hidden, if the corporation responds, it is because they were forced. It's a real catch 22.

Just now, Toxic Tuxxie said:

Your point being what? Because I have a Gamer Tag from back in the day, I must be Toxic. Sounds like a bit of Copium to me. Realise that LTT can make mistakes, and wheras yes, they have addressed some of them, their initial response was "Poor" to say the least and this video is "Slightly Below Average". 

You have a Cat as a picture, are you therefore a Cat?

The Madison situation has to be addressed, end of story.

yes

i identify as a cat now

meow meow 🤡

And yes they will address it, we dont need to know about full details