What do we do now?

LinusTech
1 minute ago, LovelyDumpling said:

I actually really like this video, as it goes about addressing the criticisms with production and organizational errors and what they plan to do to fix them. 

I need them to address the Madison stuff as well, it is far more important imo, but I've already said my piece on that in the Madison thread. 

That being said... 

There is a really sad irony that the video released to address their egregious production errors itself contains an egregious production error. 

An Shit GIF - An Shit GIFs

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Mast3rDisast3r said:

I mean, even if Madison is pushing it and making more of it than what really happened... If 10% of what she says is true, it's still very very bad.

If even 1% of it is true it doesn't look good

CPU: Intel Core i7 6790x | Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme X99 | Graphics Card: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance | | PSU: Cooler Master 1200W Platinum | Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 | Cooling: Corsair 360mmm AIO

6 minutes ago, DU3RII said:

She could have spoken up long time ago and report it via official channels. Guess there's Jurisdiction in CA as well. Otherwise: not guilty until proven otherwise. Amber Heard. Kevin Spacey. You name it.

Why should someone apologise to Steve? For what? 

people who say this often have no idea what SA can do to someones mental health, especially if it were brushed under the rug

4 minutes ago, kurangak said:

probably linus hanging himself dead live on all socmed platform. even then i doubt itll appease the pitchfork holding mob.

some ppl just want to watch the whole world burn (or in this case, a big tech media company collapse) and theyre unhappy it didnt go their way

jesus christ, get a life

Bro we just want LMG to treat its employees and sponsors better, and stop doing this “we make 25+ videos a week there's no way we can fact-check everything we've made” as an excuse.

Wtf is u on blud?

3 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Totally not fun fact.

Terren Tong is CEO since 1st of July but still outside the wall of faces of the company.

Someone don't like to "lose" first row or first position?

I would hazard a guess that he won't be put on before his "trial time" is over like all other new employees don't get put on cam and are not to be named until they pass that? it is a bit unusual for a "head" CEO but I wouldn't put too much into it really...

Just now, ScoggsUK said:

What is good enough for you then??

Hm, if that's not a rhetorical question -

For the Madison-related issue, it blew up after the video was recorded likely, and personally I believe this is a serious legal issue that should be kept strictly between LMG and Madison.

I find that there's still an air of "this is just the damn internet overblowing things up again, it's not even that big of a deal" from the video given that it still has jokes and reference to the LTT store, and a full referral link description section. You can argue that "well, there's still innocent employee that's waiting for the next paycheck!" - but I truly think if a company at this size can't afford to demonetize a video addressing a fallout is disappointing.

I would have preferred the video to not be monetised much like GN's video so neither of them benefit directly from the video - yes, I am aware that they still gain massive traffic and exposure. But it's a nice gesture.

For everything else, let the result speak for themselves for the videos in the coming month and years - I see what Linus truly thinks about the situation from the way he handled it now - but I love them enough that I would love to see they genuinely improve on both the process and mindset going forward.

This was a decent response, definitely not perfect but I wasn't expecting that from them anyway. I don't get why some people don't like that most(if not all) people had a speech prepared that they were reading, this is how it should be, a thought out response and not something said on impulse in the moment full of who know how many other mistakes. When they are in front of a camera , talking about the future of the company, I do want them to think what they're going to do and say before and not while they film the video.

While I didn't like the lttstore and sponsor jokes, I didn't find them as bad as most people seem to find them. Especially as this was the first video of the new CEO, I can understand why he wanted to keep some of the LTT style even in this situation and because of this I don't mind that much.

Now, this is only a video response, it is important in the short term, but in the long term it's more important to see what they've learn from all this chaos and to see if and how they change things.  Taking a break from youtube for a week to work on this problems is a good start at least.  For now I've unsubscribed from floatplane and I'll keep my subscription disabled until I see some real change in the future.

7 minutes ago, Reclus said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

No they don't need to address them. Madison had 2 years to do something about this. She hasn't. It is her choice. Allegations of criminal acts do not belong on youtube of forums. There are legal means for it. 

I despise angry mobs. We had criticisms, they have addressed them. Don't care if they make money off of it or not. 

Why do you think she brought it to light now?

Because she would actually be heard instead of being drowned out by naysayers with asinine commentary. Sound familiar? I really shouldn’t get sucked to these flame wars, but the reason this is coming out now is because she actually has a voice against people like you who will shoot her down immediately because what she’s saying goes against someone/something you like. How is that so hard to understand?

33 minutes ago, Si3Rra_7 said:

I'm more worried about the Madison situation than video accuracy or even the Billet labs thing. 

Sure 3 tweets 2 tiktoks and whatever, i won't comment on the quantity of the workload, 

BUT her work being denigrated and insulted, and her job being threatened by "upper management", there needs to be something done about this.

It's unacceptable. 

Nothing can be done for her. Shes not working there anymore.

To prevent other women from leaving this would require implementing cultural change around a respectful workplace for everyone.

Like reports are investigated and Displincary measures are implemented  including managers for bad behavior.

Most workplaces start by having a code of conduct for employees regarding expected behaviors but whats more important is following up and enforcing it to show others that behavior will not be tolerated.

Its clear that like many startups it has a bro culture.  Do they even have any women left there who dont work in some other area like writing pay or hr.

Madison isnt only one who hinted at the culture being toxic and its clear with the revolving door theres problems.

I'm going to use this thread for its intended purpose and give my feedback on the video (and not use it for talking about an ex employee whose made allegations in which there is already a dedicated thread about.

Personally, I appreciated the open, honest tone and layout of the video with all the key players (not a Gary pun). They address how they are going to make right on some of the failings of the past and how Billet Labs situation unfolded.

What struck me most is how visibly upset both Linus and Yvonne looked and sounded, and its definatly taken its toll on them and people need to remember that your not just throwing text into a vacuum. 

You have a right to express your opinions, you have a right to still feel angry if you so, But I would implore people to make their point either constructively or without the need to throw insults. 

1 minute ago, jaymansley said:

Bro we just want LMM to treat its employees and sponsors better, and stop doing this “we make 25+ videos a week there's no way we can fact-check everythign we've made” as an excuse.

Wtf is u on blud?

didnt they addressed that in the apology video? that they slowing down, reducing workload, how theyre tightening qc process and all?

did u even watch the effin video?

1 minute ago, Godiwa said:

I would hazard a guess that he won't be put on before his "trial time" is over like all other new employees don't get put on cam and are not to be named until they pass that? it is a bit unusual for a "head" CEO but I wouldn't put too much into it really...

I don't agree.

1: Terren Tong was almost cherry picked from the shareholders.

2: it's tough to find someone who can manage Mr Sebastian. Mr Sebastian words into CEO presentation video

3: has been pubblicly presented by the former CEO itself!

4: CEO can be fired from the company, as any other C-Suite member, faster than lightning from shareholders. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

1 minute ago, virtualsouls said:

people who say this often have no idea what SA can do to someones mental health, especially if it were brushed under the rug

They also seem to think a woman as young as her at the time has an endless supply of cash to initiate a legal battle against a 100 million dollar company

Even if everything she said is 100% correct and really happened chances are she would have lost that fight, all it would require is LTT to drag out the litigation long enough to run her funds dry to where she can no longer afford the fees meaning there is a 90% chance LTT would win by default just by having bigger pockets

Everyone is apologizing and then we have Linus, who with his inflated ego felt the need to explain what happened with the cooler and emails before finally throwing a jab at colton for “his attempt at apologizing”. Masterfully done.

Linus’ part is the only section i didnt like.

7 minutes ago, kurangak said:

probably linus hanging himself dead live on all socmed platform. even then i doubt itll appease the pitchfork holding mob.

some ppl just want to watch the whole world burn (or in this case, a big tech media company collapse) and theyre unhappy it didnt go their way

jesus christ, get a life

agreed. sadly that mostly reddit atm.. am avoiding that atm.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Just now, mMontana said:

I don't agree.

1: Terren Tong was almost cherry picked from the shareholders.

2: it's tough to find someone who can manage Mr Sebastian. Mr Sebastian words into CEO presentation video

3: has been pubblicly presented by the former CEO itself!

4: CEO can be fired from the company, as any other C-Suite member, faster than lightning from shareholders. 

hence as I wrote "a guess" and personally it is not something I stress too much... as Terren also said himself... right now he is merely a "fly on the wall" observing, learning etc. until his real job start... it just started rather abrubtly because of THIS

18 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

I don't really understand using many people from the senior leadership team instead of Linus totally owning this.

Feels wrong from a leadership perspective from a brand based and named after the founder.

Ultimately it felt like committee crafted PR, not authentic.

The thing that really killed the sincerity for me was the injection of humor. I know that they want to lighten the mood, but it's really not the time for that.

1 minute ago, RandomDude843 said:

Everyone is apologizing and then we have Linus, who with his inflated ego felt the need to explain what happened with the cooler and emails before finally throwing a jab at colton for “his attempt at apologizing”. Masterfully done.

Linus’ part is the only section i didnt like.

It was a silly mistake that Colton made? I don't think he was throwing a jab at him. 

The first time I started to really have doubts about LTT was when LTT promoted an unofficial hacked version of Windows 10 as a way to "fix" your old PC, while almost completely ignoring the security ramifications of installing your operating system from an ISO published by some "trust me bro" guy on the internet, let alone the countless of security features that were openly disabled. This was never properly addressed and I worry about the number of people running operating systems with countless security holes and potentially state-sponsored malware embedded within the deepest levels.

"I haven't looked that closely at it"

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:
Good, I am glad this video was released and hope that LTT will learn from their mistakes and do better.

I really hope LTT is willing to improve, I don't want to see them fail at all as LMG has many talented people, the people in charge just need to be willing to be accountable for mistakes. But I'll believe it when I see their actions as people have been asking LTT to do better for a long time.

1 minute ago, Godiwa said:

as Terren also said himself... right now he is merely a "fly on the wall" observing, learning etc. until his real job start... it just started rather abrubtly because of THIS

And now he knows who to thanks for this crashcourse startup. 

No, not GN...

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

7 minutes ago, virtualsouls said:

yeah sure, probably better for your mental health then to publish it on X while there's a crisis anyway mh? 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

The thing that really killed the sincerity for me was the injection of humor. I know that they want to lighten the mood, but it's really not the time for that.

Yeah. It felt like they needed to add some cringe jokes because they think the majority of their audience are literal kids who can't handle heavy topics. It felt a bit condescending at times.

LTTStore plug was absolutely abhorrent and shameless, regardless if it was meant to be a joke or not.

47 minutes ago, gwynbleidd97 said:

There was no mention of GamersNexus lol. No acknowledgement of Steve and his team or anything of the sort. No "thank you for pointing this out" or giving GN the props they deserve.

Amazing really.

1579557785566.png

This is what I took away as well, in addition to not redacting the cost like GN and Billet themselves did. I get the "community" aspect, but if Linus was real about no longer being emotional, he or they would have mentioned and apologized to GN directly as well. Clearly they're still mad about it, which is completely asinine.