Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, WTBMFWKEF said:

Was not bothered at all. Just was asking

this conversation seems stupid and i didn't started it.

3 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

What bothers me about everyone in this situation is everyone is acting like LTT did something wrong to us.

Like did LTT make you buy something you should not of? Did they steel your money? Did they kill your first born son?

Like damn everyone has there own issues in real life and making way to big of a deal about stuff that really does not matter.

You're making really vapid stupid posts. Stop asking stupid questions. The issue is that millions of people watch their content to inform them on making buying decisions on products. The fact that they constantly have inaccurate data, and only catch about 50% of it at best and just pin comments on to the videos means that people could be and most like have made ill informed decisions  based on their content. Yes, they did something wrong to us, the people subscribed who watch their content in good faith that the content and information was actually vetted and correct. Thankfully I only watch Linus for entertainment as I am an IT professional and so I can very clearly see the glaring issues on most of the topics - especially storage as that is my field. I have seen some absolutely egregious mistakes made on some of their NAS/SAN and overall storage content that has just baffled me.

so stop making bad faith arguments and actually open your mind to what the issue is here.  

Just now, WTBMFWKEF said:

Are you making a comparison between YouTube tech drama that has no real victims vs school shootings? Okay... Worst take of the day

No, i was just stating how disconnected your argument is by giving an extreme example. Rather than trying to understand people being upset at this whole situation, you'd rather be more literal with my comment and take it at face value.

2 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

I am surly not saying that at all. I am asking why people are demanding an apology. What did Linus or LMG do to you personally that requires that reaction.

you really are so blind and just agree with anything that linus or ltt does? even when they contradict them selfs, even when they clearly did something wrong to the community and more specifically billet labs

2 minutes ago, throwawayManMode said:

178 pages... holy moly

Linus, the community is upset

Or just been given something to do.

1 minute ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

Given that LTT has over 15 million subs and between 1 and 2 million views on every single video - yes, there is a very high chance that some of these people (maybe hundreds, in fact) did base their purchasing choices on LTT videos which had horrible mistakes.

And yes, Linus is not their financial or technical or whatever other advisor so he's not legally liable for their purchasing decisions. However, like with printed media, if you consistently give the audience the wrong advice, you eventually lose your reputation.

I agree with that. 100 percent on the same page. But from what I have read, I have not seen him give wrong advice that people are mad about because they spend money on something that would result in a lose of reputation. I just feel people are mad over nothing that actually affects them.

Just now, mitcHELLspawn said:

You're making really vapid stupid posts. Stop asking stupid questions. The issue is that millions of people watch their content to inform them on making buying decisions on products. The fact that they constantly have inaccurate data, and only catch about 50% of it at best and just pin comments on to the videos means that people could be and most like have made ill informed decisions  based on their content. Yes, they did something wrong to us, the people subscribed who watch their content in good faith that the content and information was actually vetted and correct. Thankfully I only watch Linus for entertainment as I am an IT professional and so I can very clearly see the glaring issues on most of the topics - especially storage as that is my field. I have seen some absolutely egregious mistakes made on some of their NAS/SAN and overall storage content that has just baffled me.

so stop making bad faith arguments and actually open your mind to what the issue is here.  

Starting to wonder who is really behind this WTB persons posts.....

11 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

It did not need to be properly tested to know it was not going to work in the first place and that no one should have purchased it. It does not change the review. Whats going to be great is when this thing is tested by another company, I bet GN will get one soon and the temps are the same.

image.png.ad806080c03c05d0b3b0df3b3b55da7a.png

This might have already been said, but Linus is handling this situation the same way Anker dealt with the Eufy controversy: deflect, defend, deny. Linus Tech Tips (LTT) ended their sponsorship with Anker/Eufy due to that behavior.

When you or your organization makes a mistake, whether unintentional or deliberate, it's crucial to admit those mistakes. Develop a corrective plan and ensure its implementation. Don’t obfuscat, deflect, or deny.

LTT has stumbled here. They have mishandled the situation and their current handling is lacking. They should step up and take responsibility for the situation. The most effective way to address a mistake or a series of mistakes like this is to take ownership of them and be better in the future.

LTT is well aware that their current behavior is not the appropriate approach.

I'm trying to figure out whether this entire controversy is a staged event, particularly considering their past handling of the Anker/Eufy incident.

Just now, smthclever said:

I wasn't expecting Linus to become Elon. This is the worst timeline.

We need an "Oof" reaction on this forum....

5 minutes ago, eece_ret said:

Still though, doesnt make mishandling it acceptable or otherwise alleviate them of their agreement to return it (even if that happend a tad late)

of course, you people are focused on bashing Linus, not on the facts. "Still though"..... how pathetic

4 minutes ago, Anorax said:

You are reading too much into how Steve presents himself. He is blunt and logical which can be perceived as being anti-social. He has always talked like this. Occasionally he even injects ironic humor into his presentations. I think this is the greatest thing to ever happen to LTT as it is a wake up call for them to lift their game. The company has been sinking into an echo chamber of mediocrity in the tech industry and is perceived as nothing more than a product placement service by the big tech companies to sell more product. Its time for a change if they want to be respected by the wider computer enthusiast community and not seen has a mega-shilling platform to sell product to the uninitiated.

I don't feel like this is a good take. How you present yourself is part of your character. That was literally one of the things Steve was talking bout with Linus and questioning his character.

15 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

It did not need to be properly tested to know it was not going to work in the first place and that no one should have purchased it. It does not change the review. Whats going to be great is when this thing is tested by another company, I bet GN will get one soon and the temps are the same.

So if I were to tell you that a heatsink for the PS4 is absolute crap, and my methodology consisted of using it on the PS5, would you call that a valid test? And not call me an idiot right then and there?

I don't understand why you're being obtuse and trying to act like the test is still valid, when it's abundantly clear that a 4090 and 3090Ti do not have the same physical design language, and was literally stated to have a gap between the chip and the copper heatsink, as the copper heatsink was not specifically designed for the 4090.

10 minutes ago, andreimj said:

there are so many things that seem stupid to me. Like on how everybody said that they tested the cooler wrong, WHEN BILLET SAID THAT IT MIGHT WORK ON A 4090. But how would these people know this if GN didn't report on this? We don't have the full context yet people are rushing to conclusions

We do know the context because it is already public. In that regard GN did not offer any new information and just reported on what LTT had already published and commented on and acknowledged publicly. Any context (or lack therefore) is provided/caused by LTT themself.

And you are ignoring the fact that BL sent with the water block also the correct GPU for which the block was specifically designed. What possible reason could they have to not test the block with this GPU? Why else would BL send them a GPU with the water block... They could've tested the 4090 in addition just for the heck of it in the typical Linus fashion, but BL saying "it might work" does not equate to "Please evalute my product with this GPU". 

29 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

It was a prototype, probably worked through year or even two, maybe less who knows. Point of a prototype isn't to be exactly the final product, in this case they were working on the design and numbers making it work on 3090Ti, the final product would have probably been for the then newest series GPUs and CPUs. They even sent the exact GPU that the monoblock was made for because they haven't probably bought 100 different GPUs to test with which ones the monoblock works because they are not that far into the development.

Don't assume I don't know the point of a prototype, OK pal? 😉

Their machining is very good. The application is extremely specific for CPU, GPU, and case. Even Billet's own images of the solution weren't practical. To be honest, the whole thing was a mess and wasn't worthy of being a video, IMO. But then I wonder if it would have been better for nobody to have heard about Billet Labs, or in this case, get this huge exposure with the nerdTuber audience watching the trainwreck.

1 minute ago, smthclever said:

I wasn't expecting Linus to become Elon. This is the worst timeline.

Never meet your hero, they are only people and cannot fulfill the role you have placed upon them nor can they climb the pedestal you have put before them.

1 minute ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

I don't feel like this is a good take. How you present yourself is part of your character. That was literally one of the things Steve was talking bout with Linus and questioning his character.

If the doctor can cure my cancer and save my life, I don't care if he calls me an asshole the entire time he is doing it.

46 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

I am so shocked people are not seeing the full picture here. Has LMG been having accuracy issues over the past lets say year? Yes 100 percent. This was addressed even in one of the last WAN shows when they were talking about using some floatplane members to help with fact checking. This is not new info. Linus has talked about this at length over the past several months. They do need to do better but damn, Linus was right about everyone with there pitchforks. You telling me that not 90 percent of other creators don't make slimier mistakes. Its really the pot calling the kettle black.

The situation with Billet is unfortunate however, we do not know the whole story. As far as the review, I think Linus was 100 percent right. Nothing would have changed the outcome of the video. Should they have done the extra testing on a proper graphics card, yes but Linus was right but not wasting anyone else's time for a product that they were never going to recommend to buy. People are getting really mad about that point, like LTT was trying to ruin a small company. That is just dead wrong. The company did not have a real product yet. Linus wanted them to make a good product. This was not it. No additional testing was going to fix that.

Now for the auctioning off the unit, that was not good. However I will say this stuff happens all the time. An ex employer of mine accidentally sold $150,000 worth of copiers in our warehouse that did not belong to them but rather a client of ours. No one realized it until the client wanted one of there copiers. Then we had to tell our client and send them a nice fat check of $150,000. Should this of happened? Of course not. But in the real world, business make mistakes. It takes one person to make a mistake to affect the whole company. Anyone that has worked for a company with more than 50 people knows how it can be. If LTT pays Billet then problem solved. People are freaking out way to much about this.

Last point I want to make is about the GN video. I watched the main video twice and the follow up video today and what I see come out of it is smugness and jealousy. I always liked GN but I lost complete respect for them how they had acted in this situation. They handpicked issues and completely ignored context around many of thouse said issues to paint there narrative. Steve said its his job to ignore personal relationships, however no one can watch the video yesterday but especially the follow up today and say Steve does not have a personal issue with Linus. His entire demeanor and attitude in both videos was not professional and simply uncalled for. If he wanted to make a purely fact based video on LTT issues, I would no problem with that, but making an obvious hit piece with extreme biased is not. Also one thing I was shocked to see Steve not understand is the whole selling vs auctioning it off to charity thing with Billet. Neither is good but saying that auctioning it off to charity is worse is just wrong. Not sure how much it was auctioned off for or what charity got the money, but said that to someone who actually gets to benefit from that money. I know many people here have been disagreeing about this but the biggest issue to me is that GN never reached out to Linus or LMG for a comment. There is no professional media that does not reach out for a comment before a story like this. I am not saying anything in the story would have changed or even should have changed, but being able to read a response in the video would have made it look to be a touch not as biased. That both sides of the story were being told. That is the whole point of having journalistic standards. Also GN did monetize there video today and gained tons of extra views and subs over this whole thing. They have a financial dog in this fight as well even if they say they don't.

I am not a super fan of LTT. I have gone years without watching and come back for a video here and there. I am not going to say everything they do is right but people need to put the pitchforks down and see the full picture. People are going way to hard on Linus and praising Steve as a hero when I really think Steve should not only issue an apology but a retraction to both videos on many of the falsehoods that were said. Linus has proved to us more time than I can count that he has our back. I am not saying you should trust anyone on the internet, but Linus has never actually screwed over his viewers. I don't want to see this situation change Linus because even though that is what everyone says they want, it is not.

To Linus - If you happen to ever see this message, do not let this change you. You still be you. Do not just bend over and take the abusive. Stand up for yourself and your company. Admit on what you have done wrong but also fight back on things that are just not true. The second you change who you are, then none of this is worth doing anymore. And lastly, please either do a full video about this, or do talk about it on the WAN show. I feel like the worst thing in your comment you made yesterday is that you were not going to discuss it. This should be discussed.

...So your points are:

• It doesn't matter that LMG has data errors, others have data errors too. No big deal.
  • Don't know the full story so I trust Linus & no one will buy that thing anyway so the testing process doesn't matter as long as they ended up saying the product is not worth buying.
  • Business makes mistakes so selling a prototype that didn't belong to them is no big deal again.
  • I don't like GN's attitude.

Oh, and the "you still be you" part.

I recall Linus talking about a toxic fan base in one of the WAN shows. They offer support no matter what, making the person in the center feel like they are always right, and everyone else who tries to criticize them is just jealous. Ha.

4 minutes ago, WTBMFWKEF said:

What bothers me about everyone in this situation is everyone is acting like LTT did something wrong to us.

Like did LTT make you buy something you should not of? Did they steel your money? Did they kill your first born son?

Like damn everyone has there own issues in real life and making way to big of a deal about stuff that really does not matter.

Yes. It matters, if didn't matter, this topic would not reach this number of pages less than a 24-hour gap. 

GN already took a stand to treat LMG and LTT as sponsors, and likewise, LTT does with its secret shopper videos. Therefore, GN can scrutiny and confront mistakes and issues with methodologies, such as a peer review or a confirmation study in academic circles.

2 minutes ago, Monolithic said:

I want to like this more than once but it will not allow me.

I didn't think to like it on my first pass. Have my like 😛

4 minutes ago, TheSilverSpade said:

Was Linus’s first response all we needed to hear to confirm how badly he messed up?

Yeah basically.